Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm new to this board and the bike world, I just bought a ninja 500 and am fairly strapped for cash, can you guys give me suggestions on gear and ways to save some money on it... like do I have to buy riding pants or would jeans work... cheap but good jackets (leather?, mesh?). Like I said I'm a newb and don't know much. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wear a mesh jacket in the summer with jeans, a lid, and gloves. However, I just commute to work and back. However, you cant go wrong with leathers, they save lives!

I myself, would buy used stuff because of cost. Or you can try www.motorcyclecloseouts.com

eBay is also a good place to shop for gear.
Since you are new to all this, you may want to go to a dealer and test fit all of your gear first. try on jackets, leather and mesh, helmets, and the right glove size. You should be able to find a good jacket, lid, and gloves for under $400 used.

Hope that helps.

Remember its better to be safe than sorry when it comes to gear, so if you are unsure, ask...

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Man you've gotta call your rents or pawn some useless shit around the house don't skimp on gear!! DO NOT buy a used helmet! Go to a bike shop and try on diffrent brands cuse even though there the same size they will fit diffrently. (copy from other thread)

·
old member
13,079 Posts
If you're in Texas, mesh gear would probably be good and not too expensive. If it's colder out, you can put a windbreaker over it. In addition to a helmet, good leather gloves are a must as are sturdy leather boots that cover your ankles.

Check
www.newenough.com
for bargains in the close-out section.

www.helmetharbor.com is a great place for helmets, but you need to know what fits first.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Casket Crew said:
Man you've gotta call your rents or pawn some useless shit around the house don't skimp on gear!! DO NOT buy a used helmet! Go to a bike shop and try on diffrent brands cuse even though
there the same size they will fit diffrently. (copy from other thread)
I see alot of people against used helmets. Why pay full price for a brand
new helmet, when you can get one that has been worn maybe once for almost half the price??? I do agree you have to consider the source and the circumstances, but passing up a used lid that was worn on one ride for a new one?? i dont get it...maybe you have money comin out
of your ears, but i dont.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, I've got the helmet under control, I got the dealership to throw in a new SHOEI with the bike. My main concerns were just the jacket and boots.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Check ebay I got my g/f a jacket that was like new for $40.00 and its leather

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm trying to keep it under 400 if possible 500 at max, but i already have the helmet so all I'm really looking for is a solid jacket, gloves, boots (do they have to be motorcycle?) and maybe a tank bag if i'm not broke by then.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
harrozippo said:
I'm trying to keep it under 400 if possible 500 at max, but i already have the helmet so all I'm really looking for is a solid jacket, gloves, boots (do they have to be motorcycle?) and maybe a tank bag if i'm not broke by then.
I would get some sort of pants - at lease Draggin jeans or mesh. Mesh can be worn over jeans and may have some armor. Draggin jeans can pass for street clothes. Road rash on the legs is just as bad as anywhere else (maybe worse). Boots don't have to be m/c specific, but they will offer the most protection. They need to at least be leather and come over your ankles. It really sucks to get your foot stuck between the foot peg and the road with you and the bike sliding along. If you end up with boots with laces (like Doc Martins), make sure that you always tuck the laces inside the boot. It's really embarassing to be coming to a stop, have a lace get hung up on a peg, and not be able to put your foot down.

Gloves should also be leather, have straps that will hold them in place in a get-off, and have gauntlets that come up over your jacket sleeves.

·
Registered
108 Posts
under 400 is definitely doable for suit/gloves/boots

only thing is you really can't be too overly choosy about color and patterns...IMO just get black or some other neutral color for everything

honestly i have a set of dragging pants too but i never wear them...bad habit of mine

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
The problem with "sturdy leather boots" are they do not have any kind of hardened protection. I know alot of people who would have come out of accidents with one less broken ankle had they been wearing hardened motorcycle boots. I've crash tested ALOT of gear, and came out relatively well, but it would have been a much different story wearing regular over the ankle leather boots and mesh (pffft) gear. I'm gonna say spend the money to get leather gear with CE approved armor and make sure it fits right, also hardened boots and nice gloves.

edit: also, don't be suckered in to thinking it matters one bit if your gear matches your bike. Last time I checked riding a motorcycle wasn't a fashion statement. So buy gear that is nice quality and not just because it's nice looking (IE Icon crap)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts