Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
hey, we're almost in the same boat, i'm 18 and from cali too but the licensing here isnt that hard specially since u got ur driver's license. u have to take an MSF basic skills riding course and once completed will give u a waiver that u give the DMV to RE-issue ur license with class CM (M for motorcycle endorsement) and then ur good to go. I am not sure if its the same for minors but just call the DMV and/or the MSF. www.msf-usa.com =) And i am still wanting more info on bikes too so i cant help ya there ...

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
ninja ex500, zuki gs500

call your ins agent before you get a bike, and take the www.msf-usa.org class

there is no such thing as first last bike. is the car your driving your last car?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Given a budget of $3500, set aside $1000 for gear and $500 or so for initial maintenance, insurance payment, etc. $2K will get you a used Ninja 250 or a Ninja 500, GS500, Buell Blast or a Seca II. Remember, it is your first bike, not your last. It takes many bikes for a lot of folks before they arrive on one they want to keep for a while and tastes change as you gain experience and develop a rhythm that works for you.

At 17, stay aways from any 600cc sportbike. Insurance will likely price you out of the market and it doesn't matter how mature you think you are, maturity does not equal skill. Plus, it seems maturity takes a flying leap when you have the easy and deceptive amount of power at your fingertips.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yah dude, heed the advice here....before I came to this board I owned a Katana 600 for a very brief moment in time (1 month) and after coming here, I decided to sell it and get a EX500. I feel a lot more comfortable on the EX500, and first hand understand why others here disuade against the 600s...good luck in ur choice

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Grab a used Ninja EX500/500R, plenty of power for a beginner, very newbie friendly, you'll fit fine on it too. Make sure to get some good gear, at a minimum Helmet, Jacket, Gloves, Boots. Before you even get the bike, take your local MSF course to see how you really like riding street bikes, it will teach you valuable fundamentals that you NEED to know to survive well on the street.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you all for your replies!

as for the MSF classes, I started looking into them last night and i am DEFINITELY going for one.

racer x: honestly the car I drive now would be the last car as long as it lasted. but well I have accepted the fact that there is a good chance that in the future, I get very involved in sport bikes and "upgrade". but my focus is now.

linuxbikr: you are absolutely right. maturity does not translate into skill. but in the case of driving an automobile, having the maturity to acknowledge what my driving capacity is and not try to surpass it has helped me and I hope it will help me on a bike, all be them two entirely different modes of transportation.

looks like I will be taking a look at the bikes you guys mentioned and definitely head over to an MSF class...

thanks again!

·
Registered
912 Posts
get an older f2/f3

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Check out the link below for m/c license steps depending on under or over 18. I believe MSF in CA requires a m/c permit (not full license, just written test), but that may vary by age as well.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl.htm

All good advice above, especially taking the MSF first. That will help tell you if street riding is really something you want to do. Sign up soon as the classes are always full. You might also want to ask them about showing up "stand-by" on the first day if the wait for a class is long.

Once you pass the MSF, do get riding gear before the bike as it will impact your bike budget (as will insurance). Call up your insurance agent and ask for quotes once you settle on a bike model or two.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
*sigh*
heh bad news guys...

i flashed my mom the idea of me getting into motorcycles and she said no so fast my head was spinning, PLUS my dad was the one who even introduced me to motorcycles when i was younger, and even told me he wanted me to get one. but they have a shaky marriage right now so if he woulda backed me she woulda gotten all over his ass, so he had to just follow her in sayin no...

oh well...guess this is one of those things that'll have to wait until i'm older, I can't blame her it is dangerous and no matter how careful you are there's always some jackass on the road who you can't control...

but either way I appreciate all your guys' help and time. maybe I can get her to let me take the class for my birthday so at least I can get a small taste of what the real thing's like =P

·
old member
13,079 Posts
emilio said:
*sigh*
heh bad news guys...

i flashed my mom the idea of me getting into motorcycles and she said no so fast my head was spinning, PLUS my dad was the one who even introduced me to motorcycles when i was younger, and even told me he wanted me to get one. but they have a shaky marriage right now so if he woulda backed me she woulda gotten all over his ass, so he had to just follow her in sayin no...

oh well...guess this is one of those things that'll have to wait until i'm older, I can't blame her it is dangerous and no matter how careful you are there's always some jackass on the road who you can't control...

but either way I appreciate all your guys' help and time. maybe I can get her to let me take the class for my birthday so at least I can get a small taste of what the real thing's like =P
I know this view isn't really popular with some here, but as a parent I applaud your outlook on the situation. While you're living with your parents, they have the larger say in what does and doesn't happen. Maybe taking the MSF course and giving your mom time to get used to the idea will help change her mind. Sounds like you jumped right into it and asker her if you could get a bike next week or something. :lol
Sometimes you have to work on these things over time. Good luck!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RayOSV said:
I know this view isn't really popular with some here, but as a parent I applaud your outlook on the situation. While you're living with your parents, they have the larger say in what does and doesn't happen. Maybe taking the MSF course and giving your mom time to get used to the idea will help change her mind. Sounds like you jumped right into it and asker her if you could get a bike next week or something. :lol
Sometimes you have to work on these things over time. Good luck!!

I have a very good relationship with my mom. she trusts me, I trust her, she listens to me, and I listen to her. when I asked her I just asked if she would sign me up for the motorcycle safety classes for my birthday. she goes "for what?", I said to get my motorcycle license later...And I know that this isn't just an impulse thing that she doesn't like, she just doesn't like motorcycles period. she started mentioning all these poeple in my family who have died or been seriously injured...but I can respect her decision and I don't dwell on it and bother her about it. thanks a lot for your support.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
emilio said:
but I can respect her decision and I don't dwell on it and bother her about it. thanks a lot for your support.
Sorry for your disappointment, but you sure have a good attitude about it.

I'll offer this - I rode dirtbikes until I was 15 or 16 then stopped riding for the next 15 years. I got back into motorcycles last year and I'm very glad I went through those years without a bike. I've always been pretty level headed, so I don't think I would have screwed around on a bike, but having a good handful of years driving on the road teaches some invaluable lessons - lessons best learned in a big cage

1 - 20 of 37 Posts