Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted peoples input on this.

I am going to be making the move up to the 600cc class. I am wanting something fuel injected (Yamaha or Kawi), but I don't know whether I should buy new or go used and take the money I save and get more gear/ do a trackday or more if I like it.

Now I have a vf500. Joe Rocket Ballistic Jacket, speedmaster gloves and HJC Symax helmet.

Opinions please!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
First of all I must admit that for simply yrs I have bought knew, because I would then be breaking in the bike my way & not the way of the MOM. Also I did not like buying anyone's problems or what they abused.

It was my way for many, many yrs like way back in '49 bar a few cases of where I have bought used.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Consider used because there is really no reason not to. There are always low mileage bikes that are a year or two old sitting in garages. Those riders who either got scared or didn't like riding are prime sources for almost new bikes at substantial savings. They still have warranties too. I'd never buy any other way.

The only reasons to go new are selection, convenience, speed, or the inability to evaluate a used product.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
You can always get used for good deals. But you could also consider going to a dealer that does not sell many sportbikes and get one left over from 1 to 2 years old but still new. You can do this at almost every dealer asround here in Hzarley land Pa.

·
Superbike fan
871 Posts
At your age I'd definitely say used. You have plenty of time to get the new latest and greatest when you get older. Anything newer than a '98 is sweet.

Besides, taking on the debt of a new bike isn't a good idea either. You need that money for dates.

There is nothing wrong with carbs. Actually a jet kit is cheap than a Power Commander.

·
Banned
730 Posts
Used. Let someone else take the depreciation hit and w/ the sportbike turnover nowadays, finding something basically "off of the show room floor new" isn't hard. Be patient and picky. The market's flooded.

·
Registered
775 Posts
vuu16v said:
Be patient and picky. The market's flooded.
+3

You can get a much better deal used and still get a great bike. Buying new is cool but like someone else said wait until you are old and have a bunch of money to get the latest and greatest.

I bough my '02 F4i in '03 for $6200 with only 3800 miles. Dat's a deal yo!

And what is this Yamaha or Kawi crap! You ride a Honda man! You can't go back! Look into an F4i...it's a great bike for all around use.

Good luck and keep us posted...

·
Registered
138 Posts
redcbrla said:
+3

You can get a much better deal used and still get a great bike. Buying new is cool but like someone else said wait until you are old and have a bunch of money to get the latest and greatest.

I bough my '02 F4i in '03 for $6200 with only 3800 miles. Dat's a deal yo!

And what is this Yamaha or Kawi crap! You ride a Honda man! You can't go back! Look into an F4i...it's a great bike for all around use.

Hehehe... I like Honda's, the 600 RR's are a beaut... but my 04 GSXR 600 with 4200 miles I got for 5k so I can't complain.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for the input all, I have tracked down a good r6, devil shotgun exhaust (looks good, does anyone know about quality sound etc?) frame sliders, flush mounts, fender eliminator for 6k he said he would sell his scotts steering damper for 300 with it and front and rear pitbull stands for 200.

Should I get those with the bike? more input please!

redcbrla said:

Well, I sat on the 04 and 05 rr's.... I think they forgot to put a seat on it, the f4i wasn't as bad but I found the Kawi seat the most comfortable and the r6 seating position most comfortable.

·
Registered
775 Posts
v4barnes said:
Thanks for the input all, I have tracked down a good r6, devil shotgun exhaust (looks good, does anyone know about quality sound etc?) frame sliders, flush mounts, fender eliminator for 6k he said he would sell his scotts steering damper for 300 with it and front and rear pitbull stands for 200.

Should I get those with the bike? more input please!

Well, I sat on the 04 and 05 rr's.... I think they forgot to put a seat on it, the f4i wasn't as bad but I found the Kawi seat the most comfortable and the r6 seating position most comfortable.
what year is the R6..? how many miles? and depending on how serious you are you can always go look at it to see how the exhaust sounds. I think $200 for front and rear pitbulls stands and $300 for a scotts are both great deals!

people have long complained about the seats on CBR's but I think the F4i would by far be the most comfortable ergonomically speaking and you can always get an aftermarket seat.

That said nothing wrong with Kawi's or Yamaha I just happen to be partial to Honda's. :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
It's an 03 with 7k miles, but he's kept up with the maintenance on it. Its super clean at least from the pictures I've seen. I am going to have to travel to get the bike, which I don't mind so if I don't like the exhaust I can either buy a new aftermarket or put on the stock one he is including in the deal. In regards to the pitbull stands and scotts, I will get those too, it will end up being alot cheaper than a new bike plus extras.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
most of the bikes that I have owned have been used, I usually will buy a bike that is a year or two old w/low miles.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
21 natas said:
most of the bikes that I have owned have been used, I usually will buy a bike that is a year or two old w/low miles.

This bike is exactly what I'm wanting except it has a few more miles on it than I would like but it has that many miles and no problems/drops/scratches so that is at least one indication that the guy that owned it has taken care of it.

·
Registered
775 Posts
v4barnes said:
It's an 03 with 7k miles, but he's kept up with the maintenance on it. Its super clean at least from the pictures I've seen. I am going to have to travel to get the bike, which I don't mind so if I don't like the exhaust I can either buy a new aftermarket or put on the stock one he is including in the deal. In regards to the pitbull stands and scotts, I will get those too, it will end up being alot cheaper than a new bike plus extras.
Looks like a nice bike...I'm not a fan of the looks of the shotgun exhaust, but that doesn't mean you can't like it.

From what I have seen that sounds like an alright price, esp considering the deal you would get on the steering damper and the stands. You could probably find a bike for a little less, but it might not be as clean and you really are getting a deal on that damper. want to sell it to me... :lol

Good luck and keep us posted. I am sure that an R6 will really scream compared to your VFR, esp in the upper rpm's. What are you gonna do with the VFR?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
redcbrla said:
Looks like a nice bike...I'm not a fan of the looks of the shotgun exhaust, but that doesn't mean you can't like it.

From what I have seen that sounds like an alright price, esp considering the deal you would get on the steering damper and the stands. You could probably find a bike for a little less, but it might not be as clean and you really are getting a deal on that damper. want to sell it to me... :lol

Good luck and keep us posted. I am sure that an R6 will really scream compared to your VFR, esp in the upper rpm's. What are you gonna do with the VFR?
The scotts damper is new, it hasn't even been installed yet. It's definately clean and it has all the goodies I want on it, I kinda like the look of the shotgun exhaust, its different.

I'll sell the vf500, no need for 2 bikes atm.

·
Registered
489 Posts
There are definately pros and cons to each method.

Buying new is great, because you get to break in the bike with whichever method you desire. You don't have to worry about anything that happened to the bike in the past, because you have been with the bike for almost all of its life. Other than removal from the crate and assembly, it has been yours. There is great piece of mind buying new. Plus, buying new involves a special feeling you cannot get any other way.

However, buying used definately has its advantages as well. First and foremost, depreciation on bikes is intense after leaving the dealership. You can easily save one or two thousand on a relatively new bike with low mileage. You'll almost have that same new bike, and you won't even have to worry about break-in. Of course, you do have to worry about anything that happened in the past, and how the previous owner broke in the bike. Basically, in buying used, you are saving money and the hassle of break-in, but you lose some piece of mind.

If you have the money to burn and really want the experience, buy new. Otherwise, unless you are anal about break-in and that sort of thing, I would just buy used. Get something relatively new and in great shape, pay quite a bit less, and then you can have the extra money for some mods and save some up in case anything happens.

·
ZRO BLNG
1,839 Posts
New:
Pro: Brand new out of the box feeling.

Con: Cost of bike, cost of insurance.

Used:
Pro: Plenty of older bikes available with low miles that have years and years of ride left in them. Lower Cost, lower insurance.

Con: You don't really know how the previous owner cared for the bike. But nothing a trip to the mechanic won't cure, (in most cases). Possible repair costs.

Main reason I got a used bike was the overall cost. Bike, insurance, minor repair/replacement of parts.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Used....bought 3 used bikes 2000f4 in JAn2002, 2002 954 in Aug2003, 1996 f3 in aug2004. Never had any problems with those bikes and got excellent deals. MY next bike i would love to go used that has some scratches from a stand still tip over.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts