Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy recently gave me the SD card out of his cam I realized we had footage from the same exact ride. :banana

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Good stuff. I plan on doing something similar next year with my riding pal, who'll be getting a camera for the season.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
your riding is a bit scary. Too many times are you too close to the center line, yes your wheels are not over it, but your head is in the other lane. In my many years of working with adjudicated youth, I have learned one key point, Humans are creatures of Habit. If you train yourself to ride the center line, as much as you do in that video, you are creating a danger for yourself.

Check out the Pace by Nick Ienatsch:
The Pace - Nick Ienatsch - Motorcyclist magazine

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
your riding is a bit scary. Too many times are you too close to the center line, yes your wheels are not over it, but your head is in the other lane. In my many years of working with adjudicated youth, I have learned one key point, Humans are creatures of Habit. If you train yourself to ride the center line, as much as you do in that video, you are creating a danger for yourself.

Check out the Pace by Nick Ienatsch:
The Pace - Nick Ienatsch - Motorcyclist magazine
Umm, I don't think I'm crowding the double yellow at all. There might be a few times where I got close because I was avoiding sand or setting up for a corner. But there's plenty of LOS so it's a non issue.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
at the 25 second mark look where the head of the rider is.
at 43 seconds look where the yellow line is.
1:04 again look at the yellow line.
at 1:53 you are inches from the yellow line.
at the 2:04 mark that truck you see there would have killed you at 25s, 43s and 1:04.
oh look at the 2:35, I can see you knee above the yellow line at lean, where is your head again?
oh, because there is no traffic, it is ok for you the have wheels on the double yellow at the2:42 mark?
I could do this all night, but I gotta go to bed.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
at the 25 second mark look where the head of the rider is.
at 43 seconds look where the yellow line is.
1:04 again look at the yellow line.
at 1:53 you are inches from the yellow line.
at the 2:04 mark that truck you see there would have killed you at 25s, 43s and 1:04.
oh look at the 2:35, I can see you knee above the yellow line at lean, where is your head again?
oh, because there is no traffic, it is ok for you the have wheels on the double yellow at the2:42 mark?
I could do this all night, but I gotta go to bed.
Pick apart someones video to make yourself feel better? :eek:nfloor

Dude, LOS means Line Of Sight. If we can see that there are no cars oncoming, then who cares how close we are to the line.

·
Registered
243 Posts

Dude, LOS means Line Of Sight. If we can see that there are no cars oncoming, then who cares how close we are to the line.
His point is if you are comfortable with being that close ..one day you might forget you dont have LOS. He wasnt picking apart your video, he was just trying to help you out. Take his advice or leave it, but don't get all pissy, he was polite about it. Now if he said you ride like a piece of shit and you have sex with goats....then I could see being less than receptive to his advice....

Anyways, cool idea on the vid, and again another reason for me to own a Contour or Go Pro...

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
His point is if you are comfortable with being that close ..one day you might forget you dont have LOS. He wasnt picking apart your video, he was just trying to help you out. Take his advice or leave it, but don't get all pissy, he was polite about it. Now if he said you ride like a piece of shit and you have sex with goats....then I could see being less than receptive to his advice....

Anyways, cool idea on the vid, and again another reason for me to own a Contour or Go Pro...
It just seems asinine to even mention it or to go back through and get time stamps. Especially after I pointed out it's often times necessary to avoid sand.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts

At 4:35 whoever is riding is WAY too close to the center line with a truck passing the other way. At the very least you're freaking out the driver.

General - the rider with the silver helmet has incredibly bad form. His butt is on the inside of the turn and his helmet is way over on the outside of the centerline of the bike. Videos like this are good for critiquing form, that really needs a great deal of immediate work.

Both riders, especially the one in the dark helmet, are not looking far enough ahead. They are both surprised by corner exits. You can see them carrying the mid-corner turn rate onto the straight, then abruptly realizing "hey, the road's not turning anymore!", standing the bike up and correcting back out again. If they look further ahead their eyes will lead the bike up out of the turns.

To the OP specifically - WTF do you expect to happen when you post up a ride video? If you don't want comments, put it on YouTube and block them.

KeS

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At 4:35 whoever is riding is WAY too close to the center line with a truck passing the other way. At the very least you're freaking out the driver.
This is WAY too close to the center line?

General - the rider with the silver helmet has incredibly bad form. His butt is on the inside of the turn and his helmet is way over on the outside of the centerline of the bike. Videos like this are good for critiquing form, that really needs a great deal of immediate work.
He knows that. If you watch again you can see that he sometimes remembers and drops his head.

Both riders, especially the one in the dark helmet, are not looking far enough ahead. They are both surprised by corner exits. You can see them carrying the mid-corner turn rate onto the straight, then abruptly realizing "hey, the road's not turning anymore!", standing the bike up and correcting back out again. If they look further ahead their eyes will lead the bike up out of the turns.
KeS

I have no idea what any of that means. In most cases we're constantly flicking side to side so there isn't even time to straighten the bike out.

Oh and I can assure you we're looking far enough ahead. Between sand, rocks, animals, cyclists and traffic you have too.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
This is WAY too close to the center line?
The chase/camera bike, not the one being filmed. And yes. In fact you can see the pickup driver swerve over to the right side of his lane out of concern.

I have no idea what any of that means. In most cases we're constantly flicking side to side so there isn't even time to straighten the bike out.

Oh and I can assure you we're looking far enough ahead. Between sand, rocks, animals, cyclists and traffic you have too.
:shrug Not interested in arguing. I'm outta here. Good luck. Merry Christmas.

KeS

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
First of all, you guys are very fortunate to have roads like that. Second your doing well and although you are close/on the line at times I don't think it's the end of the world. It could be for you if you aren't careful and mindful of it though. Pick your line, get your braking done and delay turn in.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First of all, you guys are very fortunate to have roads like that. Second your doing well and although you are close/on the line at times I don't think it's the end of the world. It could be for you if you aren't careful and mindful of it though. Pick your line, get your braking done and delay turn in.
Of course.

But riding the line is only part of the equation. My brain is like a computer when I'm riding these canyon roads. Gotta factor in the normal stuff like braking, entry speed... Then on top of that I'm factoring traffic, sand, rocks, scanning for animals etc. :eek:nfloor But that's the fun of riding right?!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Of course.

But riding the line is only part of the equation. My brain is like a computer when I'm riding these canyon roads. Gotta factor in the normal stuff like braking, entry speed... Then on top of that I'm factoring traffic, sand, rocks, scanning for animals etc. :eek:nfloor But that's the fun of riding right?!
Yeah but so does everyone else more or less. Not hating on you or flaming you. Just giving my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah but so does everyone else more or less. Not hating on you or flaming you. Just giving my 2 cents.
Well everyone else should understand that you can't always stay right in the middle of the lane am I right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts