Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I've posted recently in another thread, I'm going to be looking into getting a bike (EX250). It's been noted that these bikes depreciate very little, and that you can sell (read: buy) one for very close to its value new is/was.

Question here is, what are the pros/cons of buying one of these monsters used? New or used, I'm saving up to pay in cash, so I'm not too worried about financing. What are some of the other things to watch out for and/or be aware of?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Well first lemme sasy good choice on your first bike.

I'd buy one used. New bikes depreciate in value no matter what type of bike they are.. I've seen people sell their used 250's for more than they paid for 'em after riding them 5,000 miles. It's a great starter bike, but since '94 (I believe) they have been mostly unchanged mechanically. So an older one for $1500 is going to be just as modern as a 2005 for a couple thousand more.

I'd look for one on ebay or cycle trader, they pop up there all the time.

However if you choose to buy used, make sure you see the bike before you buy it (you'd think this wouldn't hafta be mentioned, but quite a few people have their bike shipped and open the crate and quickly become like this guy ---:mad: ) and make sure you sit down and read through this: http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html#1

·
Registered
168 Posts
That buying guide has some really good information in it. Now only to frind a whole day to read it all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have noticed that locally many of the Ninja 250's for sale are incredibly new and almost as much as retail. I'd shop around and find an older one for cheap. That way if you can't sell it soon (which is a very real possibility) you won't have that much money tied up in it. Have you considered a GS-500?

M.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hagios said:
Question here is, what are the pros/cons of buying one of these monsters used? New or used, I'm saving up to pay in cash, so I'm not too worried about financing. What are some of the other things to watch out for and/or be aware of?
Buying an EX250/250R used is just like buying any vehicle used. The pros are that you can get a bike that costs much less than new, but run just as well (if not abused). The cons are that the bike may have been abused, in which case expensive things like the clutch, tranny or even the engine might need repair/replacement.

Just take someone who knows bikes with you when you go shopping for a used one, so they can look it over and also test drive it. Don't be tempted to jump at the first one that is within your price range. Make sure that it is mechanically sound before buying it, otherwise, you may end up having the thing in the shop more than on the road.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MattLikesBikes said:
I'd look for one on ebay or cycle trader, they pop up there all the time.
Yeah, I've been looking around, but I'm VERY wary of buying something so expensive/etc off of Ebay. I also don't like the thought of my life being in the hands of some stranger a couple thousand miles away...

Also, thanks for the link. Good info there, I'm probably going to sit down and read through it today.

Samurai Jack said:
Have you considered a GS-500?
While I HAVE considered buying a GS500F, I decided that the Ninja was superior for two reasons.

1: I can flatfoot it. I'm relatively short (5'6"), and I can get the balls of both feet down on the GS500, but I can flatfoot the Ninja 500 and 250.

2: I want to start as small as I can, while actually getting experience that will be useful in riding other sportbikes. I may or may not "outgrow" this bike, as many others have claimed that I will. I'm less worried about outgrowing my bike, than starting too big and punching through the envelope. I can always get a 500/higher cc bike later, so long as I can still ride. If I hurt myself bad enough on a high-displacement bike, I can't downgrade.

sjlee said:
Just take someone who knows bikes with you when you go shopping for a used one, so they can look it over and also test drive it. Don't be tempted to jump at the first one that is within your price range. Make sure that it is mechanically sound before buying it, otherwise, you may end up having the thing in the shop more than on the road.
Thank you for that advice. I've got a friend (read: roommate) who has been riding for 13-some-odd years, and is more than willing to go check out prospective buys with me. Anything I buy, I'm going to have taken to a mechanic to have checked out before I agree to anything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts