Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, well im gettin a bike at the end of this year. im almost sure im gettin an r6. any riding tips any of you guys can give me? also what gear is best to have just headwear or more? thanks
 

·
#1 Gear Nazi
Joined
·
4,748 Posts
Ok, here goes....you might not like some of the answers you are going to receive in this thread, but try to have an open mind

1) You don't need an R6 as a first bike, you don't have the skills developed to properly handle that bike in emergency situations yet. If you are willing to change, get a Ninja EX500, I know they aren't the prettiest bikes but you will become an even better and faster rider learning how to ride on it vs the R6. However, I understand wanting to have a "cool" bike, so if you do get the R6, just be careful, I can't say much more.

2) Just a helmet is never enough gear. At least get some kind of armored jacket, leather is preferable. As you get better and decide to do some harder riding get leather pants with armor that zip to your jacket to form a suit. At a minium I would say: SNELL approved helmet, nice protective gloves, sturdy over the ankle boots, and some kind of armored leather jacket. You can go from there depending on your riding style. Just please don't be one of the guys we all make fun of who is going down the street wearing a T-shirt and shorts and sandles.

3) As far as riding tips TAKE THE MSF SAFETY COURSE! It will teach you basic skills that are needed to ride on the street. Do alot of slow manuevering practice in parking lots to get comfortable with your bike and how it handles. Once you do start riding on the street, don't try to keep up with your faster friends, and don't try any stunts like wheelies/stoppies until you can control the bike VERY well on 2 wheels.

Most of all, enjoy riding for the ride, if you want to be a poser at your local bike night, fine, just enjoy every second of the ride, don't just ride to be "cool" it takes all the fun out of it. Also I noticed you didn't list your age, which can be a very big factor in what bike you get because of insurance. If you are under 25, a new rider, with a couple minor blemishes on your record, good luck getting coverage on an R6. Get insurance quotes from a few places before you buy the bike.

So what does everyone think? I finally decided not to jump on a newbie's case and try to give sound advice :lol Am I getting better at this whole thing? :D
 

·
what R you lookin' at?
Joined
·
5,313 Posts
Why buy a smaller, used bike first and then work your way up to the larger and/or more powerful bike?
This question seems to get debated ad-nauseum on internet discussion sites so I thought I'd put together my thoughts about it... take it or leave it, this advice is genuinely offered if you are in the position of starting motorcycling.

Many people view Harleys and other cruisers as proper bikes. Big 1000cc 1200cc bikes - "men's bikes"!! Or maybe the fastest bike ever, a Hayabusa 1300cc rocketship - woah, now that's a "real bike". So, a 600cc "crotch rocket" would be half the size and therefore a kid's bike - ideal for a learner obviously... Wrong - don't even go there. The big four manufacturers fight over that lucrative market like hungry hyenas, making beautiful shiny (virtually) race ready sportbikes that few new riders can resist.

So they innocently ask "which is the best 600cc bike to learn on?".

Comparing 600cc sportbikes as starter bikes is daft. They all have twice the power and a much much higher top speed than a cruiser. Some may be tamer than others but the basic premise of a middleweight sportbike is all wrong for learning motorcycle skills. The ergonomics are out and out dangerous for a newbie on the street ( reaching for clip ons, rear-set pegs, craning neck up in traffic, restricted turning circle etc etc..) and the power's too much. It's better to focus on a smaller displacement 'standard' bike. They are set up for more compliant handling and ride and they are more comfortable, an important point while you're learning.

Take the pressure off - get a starter bike to start on.

Accidents happen mostly between 6th month and 3rd year of riding so learn on something you won't be so upset about when you drop it.

A less powerful bike will not punish you so badly for jerking the throttle like a newbie.

Smaller and lighter bikes are easier to handle. There's a lot to think about until you're comfortable about turning, stopping, gearchanging acceleration.

The value of a smaller bike, eg a 250, is learning to get the performance out of them - it really teaches you to ride to the bike's and your own potential. A 250, 350, 400 might seem small to you at first, but think of it as a step in the journey, learn to wring it's neck and be a better rider in the long run.

Regardless of power and speed, it's a good idea for new riders to geta bike that allows both feet to be placed flat on the ground. This tends to inspire confidence and will eliminate a lot of concern about dropping the bike. Undeniably, the slow parking lot type manoevers are the trickiest for a new rider, and being able to put your feet down really helps.

Smaller bikes are also usually lighter - weight can be a big deal in gaining confidence on the first bike.

Starting on a faster bike makes learning proper brake technique harder. Most new riders cannot judge how to use brakes effectively, intuition tells us that using the front brake will "flip" the bike or make the tire slide out. It's common for new riders to thus make the mistake of depending on the rear brake and the faster you are going the deadlier it can be.

Insurance rates are much higher for the larger more powerful bikes.

What if you don't like riding? Used bikes don't depreciate as quickly as new bikes so you'll lose out less when you sell it.

If you buy a cheaper bike, you'll be able to afford better quality protective gear: Minumum should be full face helmet, Leather jacket, gloves, boots and leather pants (yes - leather pants: studies show the majority of injuries to bikers are lower body injuries). Also, wear all your gear every time you ride, even if it's just a mile or two down to the shops.

Here's a selfish reason: I've been riding for many years and I don't want newbies who are out of their depth tarnishing the image of sportbike riders - yes other more experienced and immature riders do plenty of that too but law enforcement can spot a newbie on a sportbike just as easily as you or I can.

The desire for a larger bike is sometimes (often) a result of peer pressure. How you deal with what others think of you is your problem but if you decide on the sportbike because you want to fit in or because your buddies said so, then you need to think really seriously about that.

Most expert riders recommend learning on a smaller bike as the safer route.

If you ask an experienced rider's opinion, find out from them: how experienced they are, exactly what they started on and what kind of riding they do. Me, I've ridden streetbikes for 28 years and half that time on sportbikes. I started on a Yamaha RD250 two-stroke.

The salesman at the bike showroom should NEVER be considered an experienced or expert rider in this matter. Whatever he says, take it with a pinch of salt, especially if it would seem to be helping him with a sale.

Newbies on powerful sportbikes look a LOT funnier wobbling round turns than newbies on smaller bikes.

Some people claim proudly ...I survived as a litre bike newbie... having got a big bad sportbike as their first bike and six months later, they're still around to talk about it. That's great but they were/are beating the odds and playing a high stakes game - the stake they are risking is their health or even their life. It's not really that wonderful. The other thing is, it's usually quite easy to spot the ones who started on b***** bikes - uncomfortable looking on the bike, less fluid on twisty roads, more focused on straightline speed than form, and quite embarrassing to watch at less than 5mph speeds.

This is not from my own experience, but many riders have said that motorcyclists who learn first on dirtbikes end up as better riders when they transition to streetbikes. This I think is a lot to do with throttle control, balance and learning far more about the limits of tire traction. So consider going that route first. MSF now runs Dirt Bike Schools for beginners.

A used bike will teach you about motorcycle maintainance, something every rider should at least know the basics of. It's less likely you'll want to get your hands dirty on a newer or more high-tech model.

Whichever bike you have decided on, try doing the basic Motorcycle Safety Foundation training course course BEFORE you commit to a bike. The MSF lend you a small displacement bike to start on and the time you spend riding that may help you with your decision. If you're outside the USA, take a look at these training links and see if you can find a local class.

www.msf-usa.org, get training, and search on here........this is discused time and time and time again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow thanks alot guys ya im 16 so ya insurance will be high ill be 17 when i have my bike, about the r6 ya i want one and all but im goin to look in to some other bikes and try to take your guys advice, lol ya im not goin to be riding in flip flops and t shirts lol thats crazy. i really dont want to race and really dont want to be doin alot of tricks maybe a good wheelie and stoppie and thats about it. nothin big tho. thanks alot of the tips keep them comin!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
At 17, you're gonna get raped by insurance for anything BUT a UJM(universal japanese motorcycle).....that will determine what you buy. Take the MSF course BEFORE buying any bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
msf course is like 2 hours away :(, i was thinkin this might be dumb but i have been riding dirt bikes for a few years now and i didnt know if that would help me out riding a real bike.
 

·
what R you lookin' at?
Joined
·
5,313 Posts
it would help you alot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
Justizzle said:
msf course is like 2 hours away :(, i was thinkin this might be dumb but i have been riding dirt bikes for a few years now and i didnt know if that would help me out riding a real bike.
Looks like from your signature you have made your mind up.

From one newb to another, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING! You are 17, absolutely no road experience, and you are going to jump on an R6 thinking with a little dirt bike experience you will be ok. I think the ONLY thing you have going for ya is you are in NC and assuming it is anywhere near were I lived, there are some deserted roads out there that you will be riding most of the time. That takes alot out of the equation. And, when you do eat shit, you'll just slide off the road into a field instead of traffic.
 

·
#1 Gear Nazi
Joined
·
4,748 Posts
He's in for a VERY rude awakening when he gets insurance quotes. Good luck with that man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ZeuSeason said:
Looks like from your signature you have made your mind up.

From one newb to another, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING! You are 17, absolutely no road experience, and you are going to jump on an R6 thinking with a little dirt bike experience you will be ok. I think the ONLY thing you have going for ya is you are in NC and assuming it is anywhere near were I lived, there are some deserted roads out there that you will be riding most of the time. That takes alot out of the equation. And, when you do eat shit, you'll just slide off the road into a field instead of traffic.
dont get me wrong thats what i want but im still thinking about gettin somethin smaller. whats a good looking bike and would be good for me to start on?
 

·
#1 Gear Nazi
Joined
·
4,748 Posts
That's the problem with manufacturers today, it's hard to find a "good looking" bike that is also a good starter bike. Beauty is the eye of the beholder though. I think a Ninja 500 is a great starter bike, but it's not on most peoples' list of good looking bikes. But it's in your best interest to get a used learner bike, because you probably will drop it, and you don't wanna mess up shiny new bodywork. Get a used Ninja 500 for about $2500 or $3000 and sell it in a year for the same amount (it's easy to do it)
 

·
Autobots! Roll Out!
Joined
·
2,061 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Ok, here goes....you might not like some of the answers you are going to receive in this thread, but try to have an open mind

1) You don't need an R6 as a first bike, you don't have the skills developed to properly handle that bike in emergency situations yet. If you are willing to change, get a Ninja EX500, I know they aren't the prettiest bikes but you will become an even better and faster rider learning how to ride on it vs the R6. However, I understand wanting to have a "cool" bike, so if you do get the R6, just be careful, I can't say much more.

2) Just a helmet is never enough gear. At least get some kind of armored jacket, leather is preferable. As you get better and decide to do some harder riding get leather pants with armor that zip to your jacket to form a suit. At a minium I would say: SNELL approved helmet, nice protective gloves, sturdy over the ankle boots, and some kind of armored leather jacket. You can go from there depending on your riding style. Just please don't be one of the guys we all make fun of who is going down the street wearing a T-shirt and shorts and sandles.

3) As far as riding tips TAKE THE MSF SAFETY COURSE! It will teach you basic skills that are needed to ride on the street. Do alot of slow manuevering practice in parking lots to get comfortable with your bike and how it handles. Once you do start riding on the street, don't try to keep up with your faster friends, and don't try any stunts like wheelies/stoppies until you can control the bike VERY well on 2 wheels.

Most of all, enjoy riding for the ride, if you want to be a poser at your local bike night, fine, just enjoy every second of the ride, don't just ride to be "cool" it takes all the fun out of it. Also I noticed you didn't list your age, which can be a very big factor in what bike you get because of insurance. If you are under 25, a new rider, with a couple minor blemishes on your record, good luck getting coverage on an R6. Get insurance quotes from a few places before you buy the bike.

So what does everyone think? I finally decided not to jump on a newbie's case and try to give sound advice :lol Am I getting better at this whole thing? :D
Very, very good post man. People get defensive right away when they get jumped on about bike choice. Again, good post, wish I had listened to #1 :chair .

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ya im goin to check out some of those ninjas tonight. thanks for all the post guys keep them comin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Suzuki GS500 is a nice looking bike.. at least better than some.. If you are dead set on an R6 a FZ6 is an alternative. Same engine, just tuned for midrange. Also seems very forgiving on the throttle and very easy to handle.. It is a half-naked bike but you can get a lower fairing and other parts for it to make it look really slick...

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
im looking at a few suzuki and i was goin to see what u guys thought......

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/GS500FK4/Default.aspx
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/GSX600FK4/Default.aspx
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Products/GSX1300RZK4/Default.aspx <hehe j/k

fz6Lovin- ya i seen the bike, where is a site i can get parts for it or somethin. ya that thing is wearing pretty much nothin. let me know tho thanks guys.

Friendly site im goin to be here for awhile :)

forgot to metion a gsx-600 what about that one? looks really good. idk about what level it would be for but i was reading on the forums and a few guys had them as first bikes and loved them. they all said get a used one. thats what i would do
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
Justizzle said:
dont get me wrong thats what i want but im still thinking about gettin somethin smaller. whats a good looking bike and would be good for me to start on?
I didn't mean to come accross so rash. I really think a good looking bike, that makes a good starter bike, and is very comfortable for a new rider is the GS500 from Suzuki.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
fz6Lovin said:
Suzuki GS500 is a nice looking bike.. at least better than some.. If you are dead set on an R6 a FZ6 is an alternative. Same engine, just tuned for midrange. Also seems very forgiving on the throttle and very easy to handle.. It is a half-naked bike but you can get a lower fairing and other parts for it to make it look really slick...

Jim
I chose the FZ6 as my beginner bike and I am glad I did. It is a great bike, a bit heavy for a smaller rider, and really sticks to the pavement great during corners and accelerating. One thing I have to say to a new person is Throttle Control. Extremely important on the FZ6 cause this inline-4 will run hard with or without you in the saddle. I'm glad I have 10+ years experience on the road tho cause it gave me a chance to fine tune those critical life saving skills on this somewhat tricky bike. I give it a Best Bang for the Buck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Now that you've heard from all the guys that were safe and started on true starter bikes, listen to someone who did start on a modern SS, a gixxer 6. IT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA! I belive I would be 3x a better rider if I had started on a smaller bike. Also I probley wouldn't have had my first accident if I had started small. Listen to these guys, they are smart and have alot of experiance. I wish I had friends like them before I got my first bike, but I had the friends who egged me on to get a "real" bike. Remember you don't start small, you start SMART.

Now who thought I was gonna say; don't be a wuss get the R6!.
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top