Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I guess I should start with hello. I've been reading posts for a while today but probably wont post too much since I do not have much to contribute yet. I've decided on getting a bike, not only have I wanted one for a while but right now it makes more sense practically as I live in a city with lots of parking problems and high gas costs. I do have a few questions though real quick. What is a good summer jacket? Joe Rocket? It gets hotter then hell out here in the summer and will need something light but with as much protection as possible. Also, is there any way to change the colors of the board...the black and blue hurt my eyes!

Looking forward to getting to know people here and posting more...

~Matt

edit: found how to change the colors...

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Aloha and Welcome to SBN :twofinger

Almost every question you can think of has been asked on here but don't be afraid to post up again. We're all here to help.

Enjoy your stay!

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it bothers you reading the boards, try highlighting the whole paragraph...I know sometimes after being on message boards its easier to read when I do that. Welcome to SBN.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Welcome to SBN and enjoy your stay

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your decision. I'll be the first to recommend the stickies in the New Rider Forum message board. The have some advise on how to start this whole process of riding right. City driving is damn scary with four wheels and a steel cage around you, nevermind two wheels and inexperienced. You might want to gain some experience in more rural areas before hitting city streets.

Leather offers the best protection. Textile isn't as reliable in a crash, but will be cooler, I don't own one, no plans on purchasing one either.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
hello and welcome. Textile works well in hot climates, but I put my trust in leather.
You can change the color if you go to the bottom left corner of the page.

·
SBN Rookie ;-)
686 Posts
Mine is synthetic coz i cant afford leather. :beer It has a removable lining and i highly recommend something similar. It stops the wind completely, is armoured, but if you remove the lining, its quite cool, especially riding at speed.

·
Registered
262 Posts
perforated leather...with vents...in a lighter color...don't opt for black for ur summer jacket...lol

welcome to sbn!!

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can go into your personal settings for the boards and somewhere in there you can change the forum appearance, I've got the light blue/white goin' on..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
addivinum said:
You can go into your personal settings for the boards and somewhere in there you can change the forum appearance, I've got the light blue/white goin' on..
I do too, now.

Thanks for the welcome/help. Lots of good info in the sticky threads, I've read through them al., and now am really excited about getting to the msf course, getting and riding a bike...

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
theprimeminister said:
I do too, now.

Thanks for the welcome/help. Lots of good info in the sticky threads, I've read through them al., and now am really excited about getting to the msf course, getting and riding a bike...
If you haven't done so yet, buy your helmet. STRONGLY recommend a full face, like a Shoei or an Arai if you can afford them. Get your full finger gloves and over the ankle boots too. Long sleeve shirt will do. NM if you already have the gear.

I believe all MSF courses over 3/4s helmets that have been used and abused.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mikem317 said:
If you haven't done so yet, buy your helmet. STRONGLY recommend a full face, like a Shoei or an Arai if you can afford them. Get your full finger gloves and over the ankle boots too. Long sleeve shirt will do. NM if you already have the gear.

I believe all MSF courses over 3/4s helmets that have been used and abused.
I should bring my own helmet/gloves to MSF you think?

I think I am going to be taking the class in the next couple of weeks, I just need to call and make sure there is a spot for me but idk if I can afford a nice helmet before that, it depends on how busy it is at work.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
theprimeminister said:
I should bring my own helmet/gloves to MSF you think?

I think I am going to be taking the class in the next couple of weeks, I just need to call and make sure there is a spot for me but idk if I can afford a nice helmet before that, it depends on how busy it is at work.
Absolutely! Unless you like the idea of other peoples sweat, blood and hair on your head. Ewwww! Gloves are a must. I don't know of an MSF course that provides gloves. Buy a decent set (~ $50) that are full fingered, pref. leather, carbon fiber, knuckle protection etc.

Plus 3/4s don't provide nearly as much protection as full face. I think 65% or all head injuries reported are around the mouth and chin area which gives me enough reason to always where a DOT approved full face lid.

Anyway, you can get a decent helmet like HJC for a little over $100. When you get your bike consider getting a "better" helmet like Shoei or Arai, etc. and then keep the HJC for backup.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts