Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I currently own a 2007 Harley Davidson Road Glide. Its slightly modified with 106 hp and 110ft lbs to the wheel. So why the hell am I posting on here you ask? Well, it's expensiveand I need to drop some debt. So, I love my bike, but it has to go. So my question to yall is what should I replace it with? Keep in mind, this will be my only transportation. I need something comfortable yet fun. And preferably something attainable for under 6500. Amy input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
If you like the torque of a vtwin check out the sv650 or ducati monster. If you want the top end rush of an inline 4 an fz6/fz1 would fit the bill. If you want something in the middle a triumph street/speed triple could be found for that price

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was thinking something along those lines. How would the street triple be for long trips though?(2+ hours) Mind you, I am 6'2" and roughly 200lbs.

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
I love the street tripple and other naked bikes, but without any decent wind protection I don't think you'd enjoy it for long trips. A couple hours might be okay, but if you're going out for a full day you might be cussing it after a while.

A Busa would be plenty comfortable for daily riding or longer trips. It will handle luggage better than most smaller bikes. Should be able to find a first generation Busa for that price. I did plenty of 500 mile days on mine when I had it.

Or you could move toward a sport-touring bike. A few options out there if you are looking for something that will work well as a daily driver. Better wind protection and usually hard luggage as standard. That will be a little more similar to your old Harley, but still should feel lighter and more fun. I picked the Concours, but there are other options out there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the likelihood of me going on an all day ride is minimal. Typically my furthest ride will be 140 miles to my parents. I made that ride on a standard cruiser with no screen and it was brutal, but woukd the changed seating position help that? I love the look of the naked style bikes.

The busa might be a bit overkill for me. Not to mention the hunched over riding position. Dont know if im ready for that yet.

I thought about a sport touring, but again thats gettingoup there in price. So probably the closest I'd get to that would be an fz1.

·
Registered
201 Posts
1st gen Yamaha FZ1 or a Honda VFR 800. There's lots of other stuff but these are extremely capable bikes that are easy to come by in the used market.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, well, there is a fz1 available here. They want too much for it, but that would be negotiated, my concern would be the fact that it has 42k on the clock. Is that just too much? Should I steer clear on account of reliability, since it will be my daily?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Might want to look for a used YZF 600. They don't make them any more and can be had for a good price. The seat is super comfy, decent wind protection, in-line 4 is a beast on the highway, and seating position is a nice compromise between sport and commuting. I paid $3800 for my '03 with 11,000 miles.

You're a taller guy, I wouldn't worry as much about hunched position as comfy seat, whatever you decide. Good luck and welcome.

Here's a couple pics of my YZF...

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
OK, coming from a Harley you're used to torque...

So it's either V-Twins or big bore inlines. Speed Triple is a good suggestion, SV1K is another good bike, but the SV1K might be "too sportbike like" for you. May I suggest the Honda 919? There are many options that are terrific street bikes, but some of them don't come cheap. Your best bet if you want to save money is to look for the misunderstood bikes, like the SV1K and the 919.

This is barely broken in, never been down:

2006 Honda 919

Being a 919cc Inline 4 it has torque. It also happens to be the more desirable "late model" 919 with adjustable suspensions.

Look into first generation FZ1 too, here is a first gen FZ1 with 12,000 miles. Some people like it WAY better than the 2nd gen you were looking at.

yamaha fz1 motorcycle 1000cc

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
A BMW R1100R or R1100RS might fit the bill. They can be had for pretty cheap these days. I'd look for a 98 or 99.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as I can tell, there's a shortage of sv1000's around here for some reason. Definitely thought about the 919. Also looking hard at that particular fz1. I guess i'll just have to see exactly how much cash I have to play with. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. More ideas or seconds are welcome too!

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
A BMW R1100R or R1100RS might fit the bill. They can be had for pretty cheap these days. I'd look for a 98 or 99.
Uhm, reliability is a requirement, those two don't have such a troublesome final drive but the clutch splines are a matter of "when" they'll go and leave you stranded looking at a hefty repair bill...

But the R1150R is gorgeous.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The Z1000 is a fantastic bike. I have owned its little brother the Z750, I can tell you that they make fantastic commuter bikes. That being said, with any naked bike, you might want to consider a small windscreen to take some of the wind off your chest. The riding position of a standard is still vastly different from that of a cruiser, and due to the change in ergonomics, you are going to be taking quite a bit more wind to the chest than you are accustomed to.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
It might be different for a b***** guy like you, but I find naked bikes to be more comfortable on the highway than faired bike like the sv and fz. With naked bikes you have a little wind from the waist up, bikes with windscreens put that entire wind blast into your helmet unless you're tucked. Plus on sportbikes you're leaning forward, so the windblast to the body takes some of the work off your back/leg muscles

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Wow, nice find! A Z1000 is a naked/streetfighter type, huh? How about comfortability?
I recently did 13 hours and 950km (nearly 600miles) on mine in one day and could have gone more.

Very comfortable bikes. Plenty of power. Lots of aftermarket support.

If you get the 3rd gen (2010+) the only real drawback is the small fuel tank (15litres) which makes for frequent fuel stops, though that does give you a chance to stretch your legs a bit too.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts