Sport Bikes banner

New to SBN (St louis)

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  veronicamays 
#1 ·
Hey! I am looking to start riding i have been looking all over ebay and craigslist for a bike i have about 3500-4000 to blow. but my question is does anyone know any good places around st. louis to shop for used bikes? and what can that amount get me interms of year and quality and model i know i want to start with a 600.

#2 · (Edited)
Well, the best advice I can give you is to set aside your pride and do what it takes to ride a motorcycle: you need to attend a MSF course. The cost is right around $200 and it will save you from making basic mistakes and hopefully prevent you from getting into an accident. I dont care how much experience anyone has on off-road bikes or the like: they dont deal with traffic as motorcyclists on the road do.
Spend the money on the gear, not the bike. Dont be an ignorant squid - buy yourself great gear that will protect your body so you can continue to ride after an accident. Also, great quality gear will serve you for years to come - a win-win situation. As most of us old farts know, there are only two types of riders: those who have gone down and those who will. Personally, I took a spill about a year ago at 35mph and I split my collarbone from one end to the other, broke the tip off my scapula (shoulder blade) and split my left kneecap WIDE OPEN. A year and a half later, I can still feel the injury. If you want pictures, I'll be happy to send some to ya if it helps you think twice about what to spend your money on.
In regards to what bike to pick, the number of cc's are to some degree irrelevant. A 250 ninja can be just as dangerous as a 1200 cc cruiser and vice cersa. By that I mean, that you need to pick a bike that will be easy to learn on for YOU, but also satisfies YOUR need for performance and comfort. The more comfortable you are with a bike, the more you can learn about your abilities and gain more experience. It is often the case, that we see people misjudging their capabilities and level of skill. They pick a bike FAR beyond their skill level and they tend to end up in a crash or even worse - injuring others. I personally think people are entitled to make their own choices, but the priviledge of doing so also entails a great deal of respect and consideration for others. If you think you are the only one to be hurt in an accident, you are in denial. Innocent bystanders can easily be affected by your mistakes, not to mention your family and friends. Is it worth risking all that for the cheap thrill of saying that you are the fastest or own the hottest ride on the road? I seriously doubt it.
Another piece of advice is in regards to your financial strategy. I personally would choose to buy a used bike, but also a bike that has a minimum amount of depreciation. The first reality is, that if you start off on a new 250 cc, chances are that you will outgrow the bike within a season or two. Second reality is, that spending all your money on a brandspanking new 250 cc and then having to turn around and selling it for much less only a short time later is financial ignorance. You WILL loose money, but with a sound understanding for the market, you can minimize your financial loss on your first baby. For example, pick a bike that has already depreciated to the point, where you can afford damaging it, totalling it or even selling it a year later and write off the financial loss as an investment in your own health and skill. BMW's have a reputation for quality and minimal depreciation and you can probably find one for around 2-4.000 used - with ABS :). Let me know if you need help in regards to finding a solid ride.
Sorry if I have appeared harsh in this reply, but I have seen and read so many comments on this forum that in my opinion constitute pure bullshit :upyours. Dear friend, do not listen to the guys that tell you that you will be fine starting off on the newest Hayabusa - they are more concerned about their image and appearance than their actual riding skills. And as most of us know, it is damn near impossible to use a top end speed of 200mph on a twisty country road. It is the turns that make you fast, not the straightaways. Any idiot can go fast in a straight line - its much harder to actually ride the bike:blowme.

#5 ·
I agree completely with everything you said, as a new rider as well I initially started looking at 500cc bikes, didn't like the feel of them, I then found a 2006 zzr600 that I love, and I highly recommend taking the MSF class, I took it in St. Charles (in the rain) and it was great. It cost more than I wanted it to, but all the classes at the community college were full. I have only probably gotten about 50 miles under my belt (just started riding on Saturday)so don't take my advice for bond, but you definitely need to take the MSF class.

#3 ·
Yeah thats for the advice! and i do need help with a bike i was planning on spending 3500-4000$ and no way would i buy a new bike! i just would like to know some used dealers around st louis. i look on craigs list but every bike on there is like 5500$ + or a POS so any suggestions or where i should look would be aewsome

#4 · (Edited)
+1 Volken!

You can browse in here, too.
SI Trader - Your Buy, Sell, Swap or Trade Magazine. May not be in the city, but it's something to atleast look at.
Sometimes you can find something good, but if your looking for a good deal those are going to be hard to find right now. You'll be better off buying towards the end of the season. Your going to pay a premium with the "riding season" in full swing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.