Sport Bikes banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dunno if I posted when i joined so here i go.
My name is Michael I'm organically from norcal but go to school in atlanta, ga. Im 19 and have never ridden in my life. Im currently working my way through my 2nd year of college trying to get a degree in sociology with a focus on deviance and social control. I wanna learn to ride cause it seems like a unique experience and something different. Im currently into cars and have a 97 accord coupe as a daily driver. Im also into paintball, just recently started, and pay for everything, minus school and the car, myself. I have a pact with a good friend from school to have a motorcycle before we graduate, so I've got some time to learn and take the MSF course and such. guess thats it.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Welcome to SBN (10 months late)!! Where in norcal did you call home?

Good idea to do some research and take the MSF course.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I called Oakland home. always been into grip styles of driving/riding. tryin to keep up with friends in BMWs and 300Zxs in a new to me accord has taught me alot about cornering and braking when it comes to cars. I did all my permit and much of my free time driving the twisties in the bay area. I remember always waiting till dark for the sport bike riders to mostly clear out before doing my thing. I know driving and riding are very different, but I hope I can pickup on riding decently when the time comes. nice little thing to add to my skills list after manual trans driver and certed scuba diver

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Degree in Soc, huh?

Do your self a favor; double major! I have a BA in Soc., and it is not doing shit for me. My BA in Psy. did not really even do a damn thing for me; need a masters to do anything in NY. My degree in CJ landed me a job, albeit shitty, in the public safety office of the grad school I attend.

As for the bike, start small. No need to start off with a SS. I would rather learn how to ride on a low-end sport bike, than to look really cool wrecking a thousand cc SS.

Chances are you will eventually drop your bike, scratching it up, maybe even getting hurt; happens to all of us at some point, don't let it discourage you.

<sermon over>

·
old member
13,079 Posts
The hills above Oakland and Berkeley are great for riding (and driving I presume as well). Now that I think about it, it's time for a trip over there and give Redwood, Skyline, Pinehurst, Grizzly Peak, Wildcat Canyon, etc. another run some time.

You're right that driving and riding are totally different. Take is slow, do your research, learn how to ride well, and don't be in any hurry to get on an ss bike. Remember that a 600cc sport bike will leave your friends' "hot" cars like they're standing still.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah Fire I dunno wth imma do with a degree in sociology but have been pointed towards federal law enforcement, which i wouldnt mind i guess. When it comes to a job I have no idea what I'd wanna do. As for Ray, redwood was my main drive, but EB Parks was/is stepping up their patrols of the area, work/worked for them. Grizzly is good, I've pulled to the side many a time to let the motorcycles past. Yeah I wont be starting with anything over or probably near 500cc. really like the whole 'naked' bike look.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
'Never ridden in my life' caught my attention in ur intro. its not a bad thing, as I didn't have any previous riding experience either before i got my first sportbike. sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders.

Welcome and good luck with your hunt for a bike and taking the MSF.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts