Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vampire
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With help of local BMW club member, I picked up a (new to me) 2003 Bandit 1200, with 14xx mi. on odometer from local salvage yard last week. :banana

Other than minor scaring on body panels, broken turn signals, clutch lever tip, missing barend plugs.. the majority of the impact was absorbed by the front wheel/tire on the brake side..

The bike seems to have been sitting for a while, getting it started at the salvage yard took a bit of effort, I put 1/2 can of SeaFoam along with some fresh gas once home, it started pretty easily and idled smoothly. Up to speed of 65 mph the bike tracks straight, some engine stuble through the rpm range.. but likely that's just due to carbs being dirty.

I put about 26 miles on it over the weekend, have SeaFoam sat in tank over night and ran it some more yesterday, good improvement with throttle response in mid rpm range. Some back firing when I close the throttle at 7000 rpm to slow to 2000 rpm..
A few more days with the SeaFoam, I hope to get it running completely smooth and fill up the tank completely. For now, I'm still at teh break-in mode with the bike since it has so little mileage.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Nice color! Mine's an 03 as well, also a new bike to me. I love the torque! Do you post on ADV forums? Seems like I saw this bike before.

·
Vampire
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my ADVRider post.
Put on another 30 miles on the Bandit.. The engine seems to smooth out much better, I filled up the gas tank with Sunoco Ultra94.. $2.49/gal. We'll see how she runs after a whole tankful.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I went through the same thing with the Bandit I recently got. I got a steal of a deal on it, had 6300 miles and it was obvious it was rarely ridden. After some seafoam and a few tanks of gas it's got a better idle and smoother response.

·
Vampire
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Upon careful inspection through the bike, I discovered that the steering stop on the right (brake) side of the lower triple clamp is broken, the impact must have turned the handlebar so hard to teh right that had broken off the steering stop. I'm surprised the fork is not bent.

Minor dent on the oil cooler and fuel tank, neither of which concern me other than the looks..

For now, I'll get the turn signals fixed, get the bike inspected the ride it as is... if down the road it start to track funny when I hit triple digit speed, I'll look into new front wheel or fork.

Do these forklegs look bent to you?

·
Vampire
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it up to triple digit speed today, with only finger tips holding the handlebar, the bike is rock solid, other than the mid-range rpm engine stunble due to dirty carb, no problems. A few more tanks of fresh fuel and SeaFoam should get her running real nice, not too shaby for a salvage yeard bike.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The Bandit's weight does give it a less nimble feel than the 600's. I've yet to see a Gladius in person, but they look good in the mags.

·
Registered
7 Posts
El Bandito

My budget Bandit runs with the local sportbikes just fine. A intake box mod, exhaust pipe change, rejetting and carb slide spring mod really help cold start, idle, throttle response, drive-ability, power and economy. 4 degree advance works well. Fork spring change, and Hayabusa shock sport up the ride considerably. Pilots and Roadsmarts both work well on the bike, even at breakneck speeds and lean angles.
Insurance runs me $79 per year progressive. Maintenance is cheap and simple to perform. Parts are plentiful. Bike has personality and encourages one to ride more often and further. Wheelies are a snap, top speed is respectable 151 gps in 4th or 5th gear. Runs great on 87 octane (cheap gas), and cheap suzuki brand oil. I balance the carbs about 2 times per year for sewing machine like operation. Pulls cleanly in 5th from 1000rpm WOT (no hesitation, no stumbling:). Kinda like a classic big block car, only on 2 wheels.
Cheap, Cheap Thrills....why pay more? ( I have $3200 invested in my 2002)

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great, now I gotta find a hill and a tailwind.....see if I can coax 2 more mph out of a bike with the aerodynamics of a brick.....haha!
Nice job with the 151 though....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts