Sport Bikes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!
My name's Heidi and I'm from MN, where it's getting a tad late in the season to just be getting into all this but hey, what can you do? (Except hopefully get a good deal on a bike right?!?) :) I just got into cars about two years ago and I guess I'm on to bikes now.. Hopefully I'll enjoy them as much as I have enjoyed learning all the how-to's with cars. So yeah, I'm looking to get my first bike. Very open to suggestions, tips etc.! Everyone's telling me to start on a Ninja or a Katana. I really like the look of the Katana's myself, but know nothing about overall quality of brands or anything, so if you guys could help out that would be great! Looking forward to getting to know you all and, if not this year, getting in on some rides!!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Hi Heidi,
Welcome to the site and welcome to motorcycling. I personally would recommend a Ninja 500 which I started on or a GS500. The Katana is a good bike but with a dry weight around 450, it is heavy.

Also, please learn the lingo as nothing will peg you as newbie quicker than "So, how long have you been driving sport bikes?", "No, I don't drive my bike to work." or "I just love driving in my bike!" Sorry but I see this a lot and it really gets on my nerves!

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
My only advice from experience would be to outlay JUST enough for your first bike to purchase something road worthy. ride the arse off it, flog it once you've grown comfortable to bikes and other road users and yourself, and buy something a bit 'prettier'.
Dont buy new for your first, or even second bikes (infact i'll never buy new again) and ask lots of questions.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips!! I definitely would like a nice light one to start with, and I also will be going pretty cheap for sure.. I have heard many of the horrible beginner stories, and I know I'm not that special! :)

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
:welcome :moon

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Haha..you guys have some of the craziest smileys I've ever seen! I love this guy -> :squid Too bad it has such negative conotations. :(

·
Registered
474 Posts
Welcome, from another newbie (to the board, not bikes)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Welcome to SBN.. enjoy the site.. check out the stickies for beginners, they have some good advice and info in them..

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
I suggest a used Suzuki GS500F.

And I had an ex girlfriend named Heidi. :p

·
Fool of the universe
1,311 Posts
Well you're probably right now in the best position to buy something living up in MN, cause I am sure the season there is winding down... deals to be had I am sure!

I grew up in Winnipeg, north of the border, I don't know how anyone their can go riding you'd get to ride maybe 2-3 months of the year IF you're lucky (never mind the days it rains).

Plus as you know everything is FLAT as a board for miles on end.

·
center of an asian pop
3,480 Posts
yay!
another female rider...

Another thing: newbie mistake, "I want to buy a ninja"

Ninja what? be specific, as 250's all the way up to a ZX-10 (i think) are all called ninjas (my SO's ZX-7rr has ninja stamped on it also)

And don't forget to say hi in the women's forum! :D

·
Banned
2,637 Posts
1) Buy good gear!
2) Take MSF class
3) Anything with 500CC's will do you, just make sure you are comfy, try not to buy new since bikes depreciate faster than well.....they just depreciate really fast!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I definitely agree with shah269, make sure to take the MSF class. Learn all that you can in preperation for the joy of riding.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I did get my license through MSF so at least I have done that much right.. :D

Thanks everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts