Sport Bikes banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya, I'm new to these forums and decided to post here instead of posting in New member, and than again in the military section.
I've been in for just over four years and I'm back in Chicago for training. I'm planning on picking up a new SV1000S in the next few weeks to give me some fun stuff to do over the summer and I was looking for some people to go riding with in the area.
Also, I wanted to know just how hard it is to get a full license in IL. and how much of a pain it is to get the military bike safety course so that I can ride my bike on base.
Any help is appreciated,
Thanks.

·
Registered
574 Posts
back at Great Lakes? Nice. Im not sure about the courses they offer there on base, but generally, I wouldnt say its a hassle to get your license, but I know some bases basically give you the run around, mostly bases who have problems with active duty squids. Sorry im not much help, I know here in Maine it was pretty easy, the course provided bikes (they dont anymore, the state took them back) they gave me a card saying I completed and passed the MSF course, I took it to the dmv and they gave me my license no questions asked. It varies state to state obviously. Goodluck and good choice on the SV.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
:welcome :twofinger

not sure about your region, but expect to be put on a wait list.

it should be overseen by the safety center in your region, find their website to sign up and get information on the requirements.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
Aloha and Welcome to SBN :twofinger

<~~~~former Squid

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was a nuke mechanic, than after 2 and a half years in the fleet I was de-nuked and was offered to either reclass as a conventional ET or continue on as a conventional MM, I obviously chose the route that involves a shore command and more training.
Oh well, I guess I need to find the on base stuff asap, if they won't let me get the bike on base than I need to hold off getting one until I match all the requirements. >= (

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
if all else fails man, talk to the base security to see what the reqs are. i tried looking up the msf brc info for your region but couldn't find it on the net.

good luck bro.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I was able to find the building I need to go to today, but they were closed for lunch and I had 15 minutes to make it back to my barracks for quarters, so I should find everything out tommorrow.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Welcome!:twofinger since you have to take a driving test for the license, you might want to check if your state allows you to use the BRC instead of the license riding test...mine does. You have to take the BRC no matter what anyway for base.
I figured I have been riding years without a license might as well get one now also! :bitchslap Good luck

·
Registered
578 Posts
www.msf-usa.org

Try that one out for the course. It's directly off my MSF card. All DOD bases req this now (I presume). Your base most likely will have a class set up for free but if you take the course down town, they will reimberse you. Also, if you're purchasing a new bike ask them if they will pay for the MSF corse. When I purchased my CBR I received a year of Honda Riders Club which also payed for it. Double dippin' man!

Edit: Oh yea; :twofinger :welcome to SBN!!! And keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, Illinois will allow for me to use the safety course instead of doing a written and riding test. But the only problem is that the course isn't for another five months. They're all sold out in my area, so, I'll just hang out and not drive at night or with a passenger. I still have my motorcycle instructional indorsment from WA.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts