Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill be taking the MSF course next month a friend of mine offered to sell me his 99 yzf600 for a good price $2000 reading other posts wanted to know if this is to much bike for a noob? Thanks in Advance

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Hello and welcome! :twofinger

You might want to read the stickies in the New Riders Forum. Generally speaking, that's a lot of bike for a noob. It's practically similar to the YZF-R6. Or comparing a 600RR to an F4i. Pretty close in terms of performance.

Good luck at MSF.

·
Registered
10 Posts
spock11 said:
Ill be taking the MSF course next month a friend of mine offered to sell me his 99 yzf600 for a good price $2000 reading other posts wanted to know if this is to much bike for a noob? Thanks in Advance
Do you have any previous motorcycle experience, like dirtbikes? If you've ridden motorcycles before I would say that you might be OK with the YZF600R. I bought an '01 600R for my first bike, and have been quite alright so far (over 1,400 miles in one month's riding). This is not a popular opinion, though, so take my advice for what it's worth. :)

If you've never ridden a motorcycle for any length of time before (a couple laps around a parking lot on a friend's bike doesn't count for anything), I would take the MSF first, THEN see where you're at with your riding comfort level. A 250 or 500CC bike will be perfect if you pass MSF with no previous experience. You'll have a pretty good idea where you're at after you take the MSF class.

Jimmie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have no prior experience riding i'll probably go with the gs500 how long does it take to get used to riding i know that everyones learning curve is different but in general how long would it take to move up from a starter bike

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
I have a friend that started on a 250 2 summers back and now has about 6,000 miles under her belt.she is a very good rider and can almost keep up with me in the twisties.She thought she was ready for a new 600 untill I let her ride mine,she has now decided that another summer on the 250 would be best for her.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I would suggest starting out w/an ex500 or a gs500 and gain some experience on that bike before moving up. I would spend at least one riding season on the beginner bike before moving up but it might take longer for some people. You'll have to be the judge later on and see if you feel that you are ready to move up to another bike.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Depending on the condition, you can resell that bike for $3000. http://www.yzf600r.com would be a good site to get beginner bike opinions for that, its not a very popular bike and when most people see its a 600 they tend to shy away from it. The yzf600 also has more of an upright position than a typical sportbike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts