108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm just wondering if this is reasonable for a tire change

new tires $189 + labor $120

sound good to you guys? thanks

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Not sure because I always carry my rims into the dealer but $120 for labor sounds a little high to me.

·
Registered
725 Posts
tire quick .com do it yourself buy metzeler z6 tires and you'll hold on better than the many currently available "race" tires that were developed a year or 2 or 5 ago.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So your total for labour is $120? I hope that is taking them off the bike. If so , that sounds a tiny bit high(but not to far off from what I was quoted). I do like Jake and take the rims in for $12.50 per (free if I ordered the tyres from them).

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I was charged $30 for one tire, taking the bike in.

·
Registered
204 Posts
$30 with taking the bike in? WOW that is a great price. We have a place by me that charges $25 per tyre even if you order the tyre through them, and that is just for bringing in the rims.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jesseh said:
$30 with taking the bike in? WOW that is a great price. We have a place by me that charges $25 per tyre even if you order the tyre through them, and that is just for bringing in the rims.
yeah same here...$30 per tire is really cheap, and yes i am talking about taking in the bike...i don't think i'm up for taking the tires up myself since 1. i have no time and 2. i have no stands

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i read that it is difficult to put the rear tire back on due to the aligning of the nodes and getting the chain tension correct? if this is true i'd much rather just have the shop do it

does anyone know of any good affordable shops in so cal? hahm motorsports in anaheim charges quite a bit

·
Registered
691 Posts
I got a new rear tire put on for $25. I bought the tire through this particular shop but I believe that is the charge even if you didn't buy it through him. He charges $25 on the bike and $15 if you just bring in the rim.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That place is high.
Give Champion a call in CM 949 um 411
You'll never know how hard it was as long as you pay someone else to have your fun!

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
I took the wheels off myself and took them in. I paid $20 per wheel. Most places around here (Nashville, TN) charge more than that. Around here if you take the bike to them, it's around $45 per tire.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
charlieoneseven said:
That place is high.
Give Champion a call in CM 949 um 411
You'll never know how hard it was as long as you pay someone else to have your fun!
could i have more information on this place?

i really think $60 a tire bringing in the bike is a bit expensive...if possible i'd like to have a set of new tires without spending much more than $250

is it usually cheaper to buy the tires from the shop and have them put it on vs buying them online and taking the bike and the tires in?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
is it usually cheaper to buy the tires from the shop and have them put it on vs buying them online and taking the bike and the tires in?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Tire mounting prices tend to vary all over the place. Generally, bike dealers will be the highest (for tires too, but no surprise), but they will take the wheels off for you. Next will be independent repair shops who can also take the tires off. Least expensive will be independents where you bring the wheels in off the bike. There's one shop around here that will mount tires for free if you bring in the wheels and buy the tires from them. Their tire prices are a little higher, however. The two shops I usually go to charge $10 or $12.50 for mounting and balancing if you bring in the wheels. Most shops also charge more if you don't buy the tires from them (also no surprise). It really pays to compare the TOTAL cost of tires and mounting.

BTW, I was talking to my brother-in-law a few weeks ago who owns a GoodYear shop in the Phoenix area somewhere (Mesa?). I was trying to convince him to sell and install m/c tires in addition to cage tires as I thought there would be enough business to make it worth his while. He mentioned three things that I thought were interesting:
There are some GoodYear shops in his area that do sell bike tires in addition to cage tires.
Business is expremely local. His customers come from the immediate local area of this shop mainly (many GoodYear shops in the area?).
And he checked into insurance for doing bike tires. It is WAY more expensive (like thousands per month more) if he were to take the wheels off the bike. This is why shops that will do charge more and why shops that do general repairs are more likely to be willing to take the wheels off for you.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Had new tires put on about a month ago. Highest quote I got for bring the bike in was $45 for the rear. Went to a local shop recommended by a local sportbike club and bought tires at a reasonable price. They hooked me up with free mounting.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You don't ever adjust your chain?

ice1cube said:
i read that it is difficult to put the rear tire back on due to the aligning of the nodes and getting the chain tension correct? if this is true i'd much rather just have the shop do it

does anyone know of any good affordable shops in so cal? hahm motorsports in anaheim charges quite a bit
You need to loosen the nut and play around with the alignment to adjust you chain.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts