Sport Bikes banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new tires but I'm not sure if I should wait until spring since the harsh winters here in MN might make them crack. I will be storing my bike in a non-heated garage. Anyone have experience with cold winters? Should I wait?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
bro, change oil and buy new tires, if battery is old, change it out, have her ready to go just in case you get one of those weird thaws and it gets all hot for a couple days: then you can go ridin.

·
Silent pipes take lives
12,981 Posts
My bikes sit out in as low as 8 degree temps with no problems. How cold does it get where you are?

If the temps were going to damage your motorcycle's tires, then your car's tires would be affected as well.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
I agree with scissors. If the bike is going to be indoors (not covered in snow), i'm sure you're fine.

Also, if the cold was extreme enough to do damage to do tires in just a few short months, then you could pretty much kiss the battery goodbye before the tires would be shot.

If you need tires, get tires. If you can wait, wait. I dont think the cold should factor in that much.

·
Are we not men?
9,023 Posts
My bikes sit out in as low as 8 degree temps with no problems. How cold does it get where you are?

If the temps were going to damage your motorcycle's tires, then your car's tires would be affected as well.
8* is a warm February day!

Don't worry about the cold affecting your tires. Go ahead and get the new ones now if you can get a good deal.

I put my bike on stands for the winter, but if you don't have stands try overinflating your tires by about 10 psi to keep them from flat-spotting. Just remember to let the pressure back down before you ride again (you do perform a pre-ride inspection, don't you?).

·
Banned
19,161 Posts
Idealy you should wait untell spring, with that said it doesnt really matter all that much, but why park the damn thing? Ride it during your thaws and contribute to the winter riding thread.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I'm going to get new tires and if they are cracked in the spring I'll just say f-it and do a big burnout. There is too much season left to waist.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My point is this..... When I bought my old 750, it had tires that needed changing. I bought it in the month of january, so I figured I'd just wait for spring. But we had some great weather pop up and I would crank that bike up and ride, but the back tire was all over the place cause the temps were colder and that tire needed changing. It would always scare the hell outta me. (not enough not to ride though... LOL!!!!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts