Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped or a bicycle rider approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light, the driver or rider may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider (i) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for two complete cycles of the traffic light, (ii) exercises due care as provided by law, (iii) otherwise treats the traffic control device as a stop sign, and (iv) determines that it is safe to proceed.
Basically this says if you wait two cycles for a red light to turn to green (possibly due to the magnetic sensor not recognizing you), you are permitted to go through the intersection as long as you take care to make sure it is safe to do so.

I'm sure most of you already did this anyway. ;)

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
North Carolina got this law last year.

Just nice to have the law on your side finally, though I don't wait 2 cycles. If I miss one, what's the point of missing 2?

If I can't pull up and let a car behind me tr*****, I'll just go the next chance I get

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I don't know if TX has this law, probably not, but it's what I do. I don't always wait two cycles though, usually just one unless I'm not going anywhere in particular.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice, About time. I'm sick of sitting at lights. Even newly paved and installed lights have problems sometimes and its a pain to sit there waiting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
at least you have lane splitting. nobody else does
I was just going to mention that. Traffic in any other state really blows. lane splitting would make the hampton roads area so much better. All the rush hour traffic turns the freeways into gridlock.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Not going to happen in CA with our wack-jobs in office.
I took my msf in California and the instructors stated that we were allowed to proceed after two cycles and this was in 2006. is that not the case?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm definitely going to have to look into that now, see if something has changed or I was misinformed.. First started riding street in late 80's.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had a chance to take advantage of this law at an intersection but I just couldn't do it. Had to wait about four cycles before someone finally pulled in behind me. It wasn't so much getting t-boned by a bus, but some cop pulling me over accusing me of running a red light because he didn't see me wait through multiple cycles.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Not going to happen in CA with our wack-jobs in office.
Very true, but I've seen where a chp on a loudspeaker told a biker to go ahead through a red light because he couldn't tr***** it. I tend to think bike cops are more understanding of this than cager cops.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
I've never understood why this requires separate and additional legislation. Every state I've lived in already has a law that non-functioning traffic signals are to be treated as stop signs. A request signal that doesn't respond to requests is non-functioning. :shrug

KeS

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've never understood why this requires separate and additional legislation. Every state I've lived in already has a law that non-functioning traffic signals are to be treated as stop signs. A request signal that doesn't respond to requests is non-functioning. :shrug

KeS
I guess it can be interpreted as the stoplight is working just fine. The sensor doesn't detect anything, so it doesn't give that direction a green light. The stop sign rule would then be applicable to when the power is out and the stoplight is completely out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts