Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a pretty sweet deal on my 2003 katana paid 2000 for it. Has minor cosmetic but what used bike doesn't. The milage is around 20700 bought it at 20500. other then the high milage every thing runs perfect. took it to a shop said they could re sell it for 3000 but Ive been told its a good starting bike what are your opinions on that. how do you feel about the katana in general. what are some tips and tricks on how to ride it. what should i be looking out for as a new rider.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I believe you got a fair deal on an 03 Katana. I would think you would have an extremely difficult time finding a buyer at $3,000.

It's not a great starter bike. It's a great low-buck sport-tourer.

As far as learning to ride goes, the Internet is a great place to find out how to be run around it circles. Google "Motorcycle Safety Foundation in (your state)." Follow the link, take the course and learn how to ride by people who are properly trained to educate people on how to ride.

·
Registered
848 Posts
^^ what they said +1,000. get the MSF done. make sure ya got the proper gear. once you ARE riding (with endorsement), ride YOUR ride and don't let other folks convince you that you need to keep up with them otherwise your a puss. ride at YOUR comfort level and keep a sane head. if you feel a rider behind you is crowding you, slow down and wave them by. I'm usually the last person in a group so i can ride however fast or slow i want to. if I'm actually catching someone (doubt it since i rein myself in pretty hard on the streets - there are too many things out there that want to kill me), i'll back it off and not crowd them. i'd rather they be comfy, not stressed, and ride safely instead of trying to go thru a corner too fast and run wide. If they keep giving you a rash of crap for riding slow or slower, find a different group.

just my $.02

good luck and enjoy riding! :)

oh, and also, don't believe the crap that you have to buy a faster bike because you can't keep up in the corners. LEARN TO RIDE!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know you've heard it four or five times now, but that MSF course is great. I used to ride dirt bikes, so I went in taking it simply for the insurance discount (which is significant in my area), but I ended up learning about things I had been doing wrong this whole time involving everything from how I held the clutch to how I started the bike.

It's really a good way to spend a weekend too, I had a ton of fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts