Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So! I've been researching for days on end, especially looking through this forums as I wish to begin riding myself. And as I learned that all MSF courses require you to have a certain amount of gear(not that you shouldn't have gear already if you want to ride), I've been narrowing down my selections. I've generally have everything set to what I want except for the helmet. I can't quite seem to decide on which helmet to buy and was hoping, the more experienced people at SBN would help me. :)

Helmet:
Icon Airmada Rubatone Helmet
OR
Scorpion EXO 500

Jacket:
Scorpion Tornado Jacket

Gloves:
REV'IT Monster Gloves

Boots:
Teknic Striker Boots

A bit more information would be that, I plan to acquire the Kawasaki 250, possibly the 300 if I'm lucky ;D Also, the reason for choosing such gear is that I'm a full-time college student and acquiring much more reliable gear (such as leather jacket) is something that won't be possible for awhile.

Well I hope to hear some good inputs from you guys that will help me finalize and quickly purchase my gear so I can sign up for MSF courses! Thanks!

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Welcome. Okay, gear;

Dedicated motorcycle gear is way better than regular clothing/boots/etc. What you actually will wear is way better than what sits at home unused. You will likely end up with many pieces of gear as you learn what works, and for different climates/jobs

Leather > textile > mesh > non riding gear

New riders tend to gravitate toward "practical" gear and avoid "race" gear, but race gear is far more protective. (I even did it when I got back into riding)

Look for closeouts - you can get some top notch gear for huge discounts. www.sportbiketrackgear.com, Motorcycle Helmets, Motorcycle Jackets, Motorcycle Gear at Competition Accessories, www,newenough.com are a few good places to look

To address your specific choices:

• Helmet - Icon is a fashion driven gear choice, and I believe you pay extra for that. If you have the $, fine, if not I'd go with the Scorpion. Be sure to try it on, and make sure it fits your head shape and fits snugly. Most people end up one size too large
  • Jacket - looks good, leather would be more protective, but again it's what you will actually wear EVERY time
  • Gloves - not enough, imo. You need a good gauntlet, like Cortech Latigo RR Gloves - RevZilla
  • Boots - not enough, ankles get messed up. Real, race type boots were the difference between 2 days limping and 2 months in a cast for me on a low side this summer. Check out a real boot like - Cortech by Tour Master Latigo Air Road Race Boots :: MotorcycleGear.com
  • Pants - you have none! Get some on your list, kevlar lined jeans, mesh, something. VIP

After 30 years, I went down 2X this summer, and real gear literally saved my skin.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yea don't forget the pants, even the cheaper bilt pants from cycle gear will protect you better than jeans.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome. Okay, gear;

Dedicated motorcycle gear is way better than regular clothing/boots/etc. What you actually will wear is way better than what sits at home unused. You will likely end up with many pieces of gear as you learn what works, and for different climates/jobs

Leather > textile > mesh > non riding gear

New riders tend to gravitate toward "practical" gear and avoid "race" gear, but race gear is far more protective. (I even did it when I got back into riding)

Look for closeouts - you can get some top notch gear for huge discounts. www.sportbiketrackgear.com, Motorcycle Helmets, Motorcycle Jackets, Motorcycle Gear at Competition Accessories, www,newenough.com are a few good places to look

To address your specific choices:

• Helmet - Icon is a fashion driven gear choice, and I believe you pay extra for that. If you have the $, fine, if not I'd go with the Scorpion. Be sure to try it on, and make sure it fits your head shape and fits snugly. Most people end up one size too large
  • Jacket - looks good, leather would be more protective, but again it's what you will actually wear EVERY time
  • Gloves - not enough, imo. You need a good gauntlet, like Cortech Latigo RR Gloves - RevZilla
  • Boots - not enough, ankles get messed up. Real, race type boots were the difference between 2 days limping and 2 months in a cast for me on a low side this summer. Check out a real boot like - Cortech by Tour Master Latigo Air Road Race Boots :: MotorcycleGear.com
  • Pants - you have none! Get some on your list, kevlar lined jeans, mesh, something. VIP

After 30 years, I went down 2X this summer, and real gear literally saved my skin.

First off, thank you so much for taking the time to provide such thorough advice.

As you have stated, while researching and reading through this forum I've learned and understood the importance of acquiring the most protective gear that you can possibly obtain as it will generally make or break your fall, regardless of how good your "riding skills" are. And while looking, I definitely did utilize some the sites that you mentioned as they were referred to by several other members in a different thread. And lastly, I greatly appreciate that your not input not only for the helmet (as it was what I mainly asked for) but also the other gear as well. I will take reconsider a few selections and will try my best to fit some pants into my very tight budget!

Once again, I thank you for your input! It was very helpful.
:)
Yea don't forget the pants, even the cheaper bilt pants from cycle gear will protect you better than jeans.
I would love to but my budget isn't too great :( I really do understand that regardless of your "riding skills", your gear can really make it or break it but my college student budget is very harsh so. But I do completely understand where you are coming from and I will continue to look for some pants! Thank you for your advice!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
As a full time college student myself I feel your pain. But lucky through the resources of craigslist and consignment shops I've been able to get a nice set of leather gear minus the pants (their textile/mesh) . Also ebay is your friend.

Gear may be the one thing that will keep you out of the hospital and away from skin graphs so if that means working a few extra shifts this month I would recommend that you do.

But is sounds like your off to a good start. Best of luck and happy hunting.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a full time college student myself I feel your pain. But lucky through the resources of craigslist and consignment shops I've been able to get a nice set of leather gear minus the pants (their textile/mesh) . Also ebay is your friend.

Gear may be the one thing that will keep you out of the hospital and away from skin graphs so if that means working a few extra shifts this month I would recommend that you do.

But is sounds like your off to a good start. Best of luck and happy hunting.

Sent from my DROIDX
Yeah, I've learned to understand the importance of gear and hopefully I won't have to experience it first hand! But definitely as I have more flexibility, will look into upgrading my gear, while acquiring other pieces as well. Alright, thank you for your input!
Yep. Lots if good used stuff available too

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
?
I thought I read somewhere on the forums that you tend to not buy used gear?

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
I thought I read somewhere on the forums that you tend to not buy used gear?

I haven't, but just because I haven't needed to. I would be real careful with a used helmet, but the rest is fine

Actually I need to post up some gear to sell. (Big guy though)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Used gear is fine if it hasn't gona down or been stored outside in the sun.

Everything I have minus the boots and gloves is used (even the helmet). I have a hard time justifying a $500 jacket when I can get it used on Craigslist for $100 from some squid that bought it because he thought it would look cool but then realized that it's hot and never wore it again.

I have a race jacket that I bought a few years back and have been down twice. I wouldn't hesitate to ride with it again. High quality gear is cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't, but just because I haven't needed to. I would be real careful with a used helmet, but the rest is fine

Actually I need to post up some gear to sell. (Big guy though)

Oh really? Hmm then I guess I'll also take a look into some used gear!
Used gear is fine if it hasn't gona down or been stored outside in the sun.

Everything I have minus the boots and gloves is used (even the helmet). I have a hard time justifying a $500 jacket when I can get it used on Craigslist for $100 from some squid that bought it because he thought it would look cool but then realized that it's hot and never wore it again.

I have a race jacket that I bought a few years back and have been down twice. I wouldn't hesitate to ride with it again. High quality gear is cheaper in the long run.

Sent from my DROIDX
Ahh, I see.
Yeah it is actually cheaper, and I would have loved to spend that money but I need to have the most gear I could have and that resulted in lower quality :( But hopefully soon, I'll be able to acquire better gear!

·
Registered
592 Posts
For helmets, take a look at the Shoei's Qwest i think still on sale at cyclegear for $279. Glove in that price range of the Revit, I would take a look at Teknic's 2012 Lighting with full gauntlet and Knox® Scaphoid Protection System.

Also, riding pants.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts