Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Jordan I'm new to riding motorcycles minus a few dirt bikes, I currently own a 2003 Kawasaki ninja 750r with a Jardine exhaust and 14k miles, it's my first bike and well, it's quite intimidating, I'm a taller guy so I fit on it well, and it is comfortable, and am currently registered for my msf saftey courses, but i would also appreciate some tips to keep my head on top of the game, and overall just be safe. I only work 4 miles from home and work swing shift, so there is little traffic but it is at night, so feel free to toss some tips or advice my way, I'm eager to learn! Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Always pay attention to what other drivers around you are doing and try to predict their movements. If you do this you will greatly reduce the risk of having to do a panic stop or maneuver, which on a sportbike can get you in a heap of trouble real quick.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
One great way to start mastering your street skills is to read about them. You'll be surprised at how much you can absorb, and have it come back to you when you need it the most. Here are some great books for beginner riders, and a refresher for experienced riders:

Happy reading!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Get a turbo busa...

/thread
Nothing easier to hone your skills on. He'd outgrow the 250 after 20 minutes of parking lot riding. Plus, he won't be able to pick up the chicks on a girls bike like the Ninja 250... :duh2

(Sarcasm)

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
Sell the bike, terrible first bike.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Except he doesn't have a ninja 250.

Honestly, you should consider stabling the 750 (ZX-7R???) until you get more proficient on a smaller displacement bike, such as a GS500, or SV650 (since you do have some dirt biking experience, although it is different).

First, the best piece of advice I think I ever got was to always have an exit plan. Try to always evaluate possible situations. What if the car in front of me slams on their brakes? Would it be better to swerve around them or emergency brake? Or what if someone doesn't see me and tries to merge into me, what would be my safest path of travel should that happen? What if a deer jumps out in front of me, should I try to swerve around it or slow down?

Many of these questions have answers specific to the given scenario, and constantly knowing what you'll do plus also being aware of what is going on around you will make you an all around safer rider.

Other than that, be smooth with the controls. You don't want to upset the bike any, and smooth is the way to do it. It will come with practice, but with due time you will get smoother at things.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
If it's a ZX7R, that's a pretty hairy-chested bike. The ZR7 or Z750 or whatever that standard thing was, is probably a much better choice. My advise, put an ad on Craigslist offering to trade your ZX7 for an 08+ Ninja 250 or better yet, pre-08 plus cash!

But, listen, when I bought my first streetbike, I wasn't listening to those idiots with years of experience either. Afterall, I'm totally special and a unique snowflake like something those idiots have never seen before!!! Anyway, I hope your Kawi 750 doesn't run you over... Mine did, but again, I was unique in a different direction than I thought.

First and foremost, use the rear brake A LOT less than you think you should.

Go to a parking lot and practice how to be smooth with your throttle and brake applications. This is where owning a shit starter bike comes in handy. You can drop it a million times. You won't cause as much damage to it, parts are easier to find and you start to lose the fear of crashing and actually start to learn how to ride.

After you feel good in the lot, hit the streets. Things that shock the shit out of you should be mentally logged and practiced in the lot.

Finally, motorcyclists are going to tell you that everything is a car's fault. I call bull shit. Most motorcycle accidents are single vehicle accidents. If a car does something unexpected, consider it a personal failure to identify a dangerous situation and blame yourself. I've heard too many stories that start with, "this car did X and rather than expecting it, I over-reacted with Y and crashed, while that stupid cager didn't even notice a thing."

One more final thing, don't let your friends ride your bike. Every one rode a dirtbike twice when they were ten, it doesn't mean they know how to ride today.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 750 isn't too bad so far, mostly just lot practice, but it is pretty big, and a lot of people tell me not to be intimidated as long as I can focus on what I'm doing, and be smooth with controlling it, basically I just need to ride it to get used to the bike, just like any bike you have to get a good feel for it. This is all sound advice but telling me to sell my bike doesn't seem to make sense as I will have to get used to a whole new feel of a different one, I'd prefer to learn on this one so I'm not afraid all over again to upgrade, this is all sound advice but selling doesn't seem to be an option. And I'm going to take my msf course soon so I can peg their bikes all day if I have to. Thanks guys

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And there have been a few people that say the 750 is too much for me but its one of the only ones that was comfortable for me to ride even down the street, I'd prefer to be comfortable on a bike than scared to death about going 200 mph when I can control how fast I want to go, I'm not exactly a speed freak, trust me. I don't even plan on going near the freeway on my bike, just something to ride to work and have fun while not dumping tons of gas into a car. I'm really excited to start riding with friends, and just having a good time. So I think it'll be a good first bike considering its not all modded out, the only aftermarket part is the exhaust. But then again I am a total noob and my opinion kinda crumbles next to your guys'

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Motorcycle Ergonomics

Look at a 2008+ ninja 250 it has less folded up ergos than your bike, and will do fine even on a highway.

plus it weighs less.

oh before you use the "i'm tall" argument, i'm 6'6".

·
Registered
11 Posts
for bike selection evaluate yourself. can you control your self or are you a show off. give yourself a honest answer and you will know deep inside if you need a 250 or a 750 to start with. just follow the laws and dont get stupid. assume everyone driving around you is a retard. then think of the stupidest thing they could do and plan for that. more then likely thats what they usually end up doing. i got some cones to put down in a parking lot to help me learn my handling skills. because your on a b***** much faster bike id learn throttle control combined with clutch control and maybe even shift early to lower the rpms to get it out of the power band. id only learn how to use the front brake to start. this will keep it simple and easy until you build your skills, then throw in the back brake. be sure to down shift when stopping just so if you need to you can gas it to get out of some retards way. final note 68 percent of motorcycle accidents are ither solo (to fast in a corner) or the riders fault(being stupid, speeding, racing, whatever). accidents that involve another vehicle is where they usually cross infront of the rider so watch those side road and assume that retard plans to pull out infront of you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can give myself an honest answer, I'm not exactly a speeder, I try to just go the speed limits so I don't get a ticket haha. I'm more of a casual kind of person never was a fan of racing. A lot of my friends are the same way, just like to cruise, so I think I'll be fine as long as I focus, and I have been in the parking lot for a few days now, mostly tight turns, no cones, but I'm gettin the hang of it. And my bike is roughly 445 lbs and I haven't laid it down yet, "crosses fingers" but it's not on perfect shape so I won't be so upset WHEN I do.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Several have mentioned being smooth on the controls. This is so much easier to learn on a smaller displacement bike because 25-50 hp is much more forgiving than 100 hp.

When you get out in traffic, assume you're invisible because many car drivers aren't really focused on what's going on around them and bikes often don't even register. You need to be focused for them.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Nothing easier to hone your skills on. He'd outgrow the 250 after 20 minutes of parking lot riding. Plus, he won't be able to pick up the chicks on a girls bike like the Ninja 250... :duh2

(Sarcasm)
Read it again. He's on a ZX7r. FWIW, that is a REAL Ninja, not a girls bike with a sticker. That is the Ninja all the copycats wish they were riding.
I've owned an '96 and a '02. Finest motorcycles ever built. Most foolish think I've ever done was selling my '96. I had put a spiegler kit on it (replacing the clip on's with real handle bars) and new plastic. Then I slapped a set of ZZR decals on her. I had the worlds only ZZR 750. :boink
A farmer down in Greenwood, Ms. talked me into selling it to him.
Bike was stable as a rock. I would twist up a dobber while rolling down the slab at 70.
That Bursa is fast in a straight line, but throw in a few curves and that ZX7r will eat it alive.
Respect. Respect the power, respect the speed.
The single most important thing about riding any bike is SA (Situational Awareness). It is the one you don't see that gets you. If you can see EVERYTHING, nothing can get you.:whew
The problem, of course, is seeing everything.
My advice there is to expand your envelope gradually. If you go out and play in traffic, be rational. Start with the easy traffic, Not the early morning "I'm running behind and I'll be late for work unless I run that asshat on the motorcycle over" traffic. Mid morning and mid after noon are best. Mostly professional drivers out. They are working and don't want to waste time on accident reports and risk their job. Late afternoon, watch out for high school letting out and flocks of teenage boys in Mustangs looking for a quick run. The Ninja sticker gets a certain response from motorheads.:dinorun

Sombody isn't pulling a lot of wattage. Nobody has EVER, in the history of the human race, 'picked up' a "chick" with an inanimate object. The "chick" wants you to think that because it is socially acceptable to pretend she wants a ride on your suicide machine.
What she is really doing is checking to see if you are stupid enough to spend the rest of your life working your arse off so she can watch TV and eat bon-bons.
It is a psychological condition called "Love".
You can test this by offering her money.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Look seeing as your not going to sell your bike. No matter what anyone says... even if you said that you where selling it we all know your not. So I would suggest you go out and get a stunt cage for the bike. It shouldnt cost you more than a couple of hundred for a used one and it will save your bike if you lay it down a few times. Make sure you have good gear for you .... it will save your skin. Take it slow and easy. Just because you dont want to go fast does not make it any safer. A twist of the throttle will put you on your back before you ever get to the speed limit. GOOD LUCK!

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
Sombody isn't pulling a lot of wattage. Nobody has EVER, in the history of the human race, 'picked up' a "chick" with an inanimate object. The "chick" wants you to think that because it is socially acceptable to pretend she wants a ride on your suicide machine.
What she is really doing is checking to see if you are stupid enough to spend the rest of your life working your arse off so she can watch TV and eat bon-bons.
It is a psychological condition called "Love".
You can test this by offering her money.
Not only are you too old to race, but you are too old to understand the new generation of kids. There are many young women out there because of the psychological effects of abuse and neglect they go for the guys with the coolest best toys thinking that the guy can fill an empty gap in their lives.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Not only are you too old to race, but you are too old to understand the new generation of kids. There are many young women out there because of the psychological effects of abuse and neglect they go for the guys with the coolest best toys thinking that the guy can fill an empty gap in their lives.
Yes, that was what I said. Every generation thinks it is different. None of them are. The toys change but the people never do. 2,000 years ago young roman boys would try to impress young roman girls with one thing or another. The girls pretended to be impressed so they could find 'That Guy'.
The guys wanted some puss-puss without doing the life sentence thangie.
Mating rituals do vary slightly from culture to culture, but not by that much.
Look it up.
IN 'free' cultures where the boys and girls are allowed to select, The guys ALWAYS put forth some sort of token to prove their 'worth' as mates. The girls pretend to select among those items. The girls are really selecting the males. The best theory I have heard on that subject was that items became involved because young males take it badly when not selected and can get quite violent. So by rejecting the thing-a-ma-j*****, their ire can be deflected to a certain extent. That ire can lead to the last man standing scenario. The lad in question figures out that if he kills off the competition, the young lady in question HAS to select him. Love is not sane. Lust is just as bad.:nono
A lot of cultures don't allow the children to select. Inevitably, those are repressive and mysogynist cultures. They never survive as long as free cultures.:sodapop

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
Yes, that was what I said. Every generation thinks it is different. None of them are. The toys change but the people never do. 2,000 years ago young roman boys would try to impress young roman girls with one thing or another. The girls pretended to be impressed so they could find 'That Guy'.
The guys wanted some puss-puss without doing the life sentence thangie.
Mating rituals do vary slightly from culture to culture, but not by that much.
Look it up.
IN 'free' cultures where the boys and girls are allowed to select, The guys ALWAYS put forth some sort of token to prove their 'worth' as mates. The girls pretend to select among those items. The girls are really selecting the males. The best theory I have heard on that subject was that items became involved because young males take it badly when not selected and can get quite violent. So by rejecting the thing-a-ma-j*****, their ire can be deflected to a certain extent. That ire can lead to the last man standing scenario. The lad in question figures out that if he kills off the competition, the young lady in question HAS to select him. Love is not sane. Lust is just as bad.:nono
A lot of cultures don't allow the children to select. Inevitably, those are repressive and mysogynist cultures. They never survive as long as free cultures.:sodapop
next you can add the psychological effects of living in the industrial age and how that impacts the brain. Your thoughts and ideas are out dated. There are far more going on inside the brains of the "entitlement" generation then there were 2000 years ago. start looking at modern factors.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts