Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does using clutch control making 90 degree turns bad for the clutch? or should i be accelerating through it?

on the freeway the front tire feels light like it wants to lift off the ground and when switching lanes at 70 mph. I use alot of push steering and i don't know if im not flicking the bike enough or not but I went wide and was on that bumping stuff that wakes up sleeping drivers does this get better or you just get use too it?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
does using clutch control making 90 degree turns bad for the clutch? or should i be accelerating through it?

on the freeway the front tire feels light like it wants to lift off the ground and when switching lanes at 70 mph. I use alot of push steering and i don't know if im not flicking the bike enough or not but I went wide and was on that bumping stuff that wakes up sleeping drivers does this get better or you just get use too it?
You shouldn't have to use the clutch during any turn unless you're going real slow, and that's just to keep your balance. And IMO, you shouldn't be on the freeway if you're hitting the "heart attack" strips when changing lanes. You don't "flick" anything when on the freeway.

·
Registered
381 Posts
How fast were you going that you ran wide on the highway? The bike goes where you look, were you staring at the rumble strips instead of looking at your lane?

My bike feels like a cruise missile on the highway, rock solid stable, how old is your bike, maybe something is wrong with it that the steering gets light at speed?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How fast were you going that you ran wide on the highway? The bike goes where you look, were you staring at the rumble strips instead of looking at your lane?

My bike feels like a cruise missile on the highway, rock solid stable, how old is your bike, maybe something is wrong with it that the steering gets light at speed?
07 ninja 500

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
new tires?
no im waiting till next spring to get new ties so i wont have to worry about winterizing them and worrying about cracking and whatever were and tear happens when storing bike in cold garage for winter im not really sure but the tread looks decent.
front

back

·
Registered
381 Posts
They look ok to me, so were you staring at the rumble strips instead of where you wanted to go? or were you doing 100mph+ ?
You should not be running wide on a highway turn unless you're target fixating.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They look ok to me, so were you staring at the rumble strips instead of where you wanted to go? or were you doing 100mph+ ?
You should not be running wide on a highway turn unless you're target fixating.
traffic in my neck of the woods runs about 80mph average. i was probably doing 85 went to get over (first time on freeway) and i was trying to get use to push steering on the freeway im assuming this gets better with time at least i hope

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i cant confirm it but my hypothesis is that when i push to the right i get in the next lane and then i try to even it out and i go wide. so im assuming after i push right i should be pushing right almost immediately to not go wide. Im just afraid if i do it too fast that i could wipe out or not go far enough to get in otehr lane

·
Registered
381 Posts
It depends on what kind of mood I'm in, I can give it a lazy push into the right lane and the bike will straighten itself up, or I give it a harder push right and follow up shortly after with a left to stay in the lane and straighten up the bike.

I don't think you can push hard enough to wipe out, unless you lean it over too far. As soon as you reach the desired lean angle, stop pushing or push the other way slightly to hold it.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
i cant confirm it but my hypothesis is that when i push to the right i get in the next lane and then i try to even it out and i go wide. so im assuming after i push right i should be pushing right almost immediately to not go wide. Im just afraid if i do it too fast that i could wipe out or not go far enough to get in otehr lane
There is virtually nothing you can do to "wipe out" a motorcycle at 80mph on a freeway. They are extremely stable at speed.

KeS

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Well, there's wobbles and there's tank slappers... Wobble can very possibly be the bike's fault, too. Tank slappers are a different animal. (Violent lock to lock wobble.)

·
Registered
222 Posts
85 mph, your first time on the freeway?? Not a wise decision IMO. I've been riding for 1.5 years and still try to take it easy on the highway until I'm fully comfortable.

·
Registered
245 Posts
It's very simple your going to fast. What I mean is that your vision is not keeping up with your speed so you are forced to make quicker decisions. When one get's rushed on a bike the normal reaction is to not look far away but nearby for an escape route; even though your not thinking that, it's just how our brains work. Since you go where you look you end up in the one place you don't want to be. Slow down until you get better at seeing further ahead. It all starts with the eyes if you can't see it you can't go there, ask me how i know :)

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Practice. Practice, then practice some more. You live in Ohio, which is at least half civilized. Find a 4 or 6 lane state road (NOT Interstate) and a bud. Get on the state highway with your bud and find a traffic free space. Start in the slow lane in the right side. Practice moving from the right to the left side of that lane. When you are feeling confident, start going from the right side of the slow lane to the left side of the fast lane. You want to swoop. Do this enough and it will become automatic. A reflex (reflex in it's actual meaning, which is doing something by muscle memory). The Poster who said your bike should go where you are looking is already there.
Do NOT do this in traffic. Your bud should be far enough behind you to blow past you if traffic is coming up on you. :horse
As far as the mechanicals, insufficient data. Tire pressure could do it. Fork fluid, rear shock, bent frame. Loose motor mount. Dozens to hundreds of things. At least you don't have to torque down wheel spokes. :bowdown

1 - 18 of 18 Posts