Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first "proper" bike.... a CBR600F.

It's going to be steady learning curve and after a couple of thousand miles I'm going back for some more training and later some track school stuff, but that's a while off!

Here is a pretty poor camera phone pic, but I'm too busy riding to do any proper ones! Will post them next week :)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,254 Posts
oooh very nice...what kinda helmet is that? and what car is that?
 

·
Yes I'm a FIB
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
:welcome
Welcome and congrats on the new bike,looks great!:cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,073 Posts
My cousin in UK took me around London in his Boxster, this car is like magic in the high speed corners.
 

·
Drink! Drink! DRINK!!!
Joined
·
286 Posts
I was getting ready to give you a hard time for starting on a 600, but then I checked your location. The UK's got a tiered licensing system, so you've been riding and training for a while to get that bike, yes? If so, well done!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,073 Posts
Jehos said:
I was getting ready to give you a hard time for starting on a 600, but then I checked your location. The UK's got a tiered licensing system, so you've been riding and training for a while to get that bike, yes? If so, well done!
I also noticed in UK that EVERY single rider on every type of bike had gear. head to toe.
 

·
Drink! Drink! DRINK!!!
Joined
·
286 Posts
MAD_CAT said:
I also noticed in UK that EVERY single rider on every type of bike had gear. head to toe.
I'm convinced that's just another effect of a tiered licensing system. You don't get to ride unlimited-class bikes until you prove you're serious about learning to ride. I think the type of person who makes that kind of commitment to learning tends to be the same type of person who takes the risks of riding very seriously.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,307 Posts
MAD_CAT said:
I also noticed in UK that EVERY single rider on every type of bike had gear. head to toe.
Same thing in Taiwan.

All the sportbikers there gear up in full leathers, head to toe. And it gets MUCH hotter in Taiwan than it does in most of the U.S.

I think Americans are just too image conscious, for most people, being a motorcyclist in the U.S. is more about the image than riding (excluding SBN members of course).
 

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
Joined
·
8,369 Posts
A center stand on a CBR, THAT'S something I never thought I would see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, I had to do a good bit of training to get on the bike. I has a scooter before in London (Gilera 125) and that helped me a lot with riding around traffic.

Long ago I used to do a hell of a lot of mountain biking - helped with the balance a great deal!

But the bike is very new to me still and I am taking it very easy. I worked my way up with cars - first a Mini Cooper S, then Boxster then GT3, then back to Boxster (great car!). My reason for the bike is that track days in the Porsche cost way too much - I have a trip to SPA and the Ring in June booked for the Box and it was £1000 (must be near $2000). So once I learn the bike, I will get some advanced riding then get some trackday training!

The gear - very important to me and I bought the best I could afford.

Centre stand is standard here in the UK! Very handy!

I have an Arai RX7 Edwards (white as its more visible), Alpinestars Track pants, an Alpinestars Dyno jacket, Dianese dri-fit gloves, and full bad weather gear!!

I'm under no illusion that this bike is much quicker than the GT3 I owned and a lot more dangerous to drive/ride. So I will take it very easy, get some advanced training ASAP and take it from there....

I plan to build up the distance of the rides slowly - Highlands can wait a while!! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,073 Posts
A center stand is handy on any bike
 

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
Joined
·
8,369 Posts
MAD_CAT said:
A center stand is handy on any bike
This is true, just never thought I'd see one on a CBR lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,622 Posts
scotia_steve74 said:
Yes, I had to do a good bit of training to get on the bike. I has a scooter before in London (Gilera 125) and that helped me a lot with riding around traffic.

Long ago I used to do a hell of a lot of mountain biking - helped with the balance a great deal!

But the bike is very new to me still and I am taking it very easy. I worked my way up with cars - first a Mini Cooper S, then Boxster then GT3, then back to Boxster (great car!). My reason for the bike is that track days in the Porsche cost way too much - I have a trip to SPA and the Ring in June booked for the Box and it was £1000 (must be near $2000). So once I learn the bike, I will get some advanced riding then get some trackday training!

The gear - very important to me and I bought the best I could afford.

Centre stand is standard here in the UK! Very handy!

I have an Arai RX7 Edwards (white as its more visible), Alpinestars Track pants, an Alpinestars Dyno jacket, Dianese dri-fit gloves, and full bad weather gear!!

I'm under no illusion that this bike is much quicker than the GT3 I owned and a lot more dangerous to drive/ride. So I will take it very easy, get some advanced training ASAP and take it from there....

I plan to build up the distance of the rides slowly - Highlands can wait a while!! :)
So, you went from a 125 scooter to a CBR600?
 

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
Joined
·
8,369 Posts
KevinCBR1k said:
I've got one on my CBR as well. Very nice for changing the tire/chain. Not so nice when it drags in a corner!
Yeah I imagine if you did a track day you might want to remove it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fargin_Bastige said:
So, you went from a 125 scooter to a CBR600?
Yes, a Gilera 125. Spent a year in central London riding it - very crazy streets but taught me a lot of awareness of being a bike rider in such a busy environment.

I did a Direct Access course - 6 days of intensive training on various bikes up to 600cc, up to and including 70mph stuff. Even had a bike engine throw a valve at 60 on me - very interesting!

I feel like I'm at the start of a very large learning curve and am taking it vvvvvv easy. Little steps. The bike is great - just haven't taken it past 6000 revs yet!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top