Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm a 18 yr old Male just getting into motorcycle riding. As my friend is too but he already has his bike a Vulcan 500, he's into cruisers and I hate the sounds... All the loud popping. I love the sound of the Rockets. The great supercar sound is awesome. I'm taking riding classes through a college where it's 6hrs in class 14hrs on a bike. So it's good.

Only quistions I have are:
-What's my insurance gunna be like?
-What's a good CC/Size for a 6' 4" 225lbs man?
-What is the most comfortable and long distance rocket?

When I was first looking I loved the Yamaha R6, awesome style and sound. Just I sat on one and it was like a tilted 2x4 I was sitting on. I hated that there was no cushion and really leaned over. So I went to a Honda dealer and found a really comfortable bike, CB500f it was great. I could sit almost straight up with a nice cushion. But only thing is it was like a naked bike. Not alot of plastics so it looked bad. Last bike was a GSxR 1000 a co worker of mine. I didn't sit on it but The sound was amazing. Like a lamborgini!

Top Priorties:
Comfort
Sound (;
Looks (Needs alot of Plastics like a GSXR)

Budget has to be less than 3k. Used bike prefered. If I could spend 1k for just a starter bike that would be great!!!

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
you're only a couple of inches shorter than me, so here are are my suggestions.

wr250r
+ great for tall people, street legal. light weight, fuel injection, (wish i had one)
-are expensive where i live (not covered in plastic)

drz-400
+ great for tall people, street legal. light weight, fairly common, lots of after market.
- not a wr250r, (not covered in plastic)

ninja250/300
+standard erogs =more room for tall people, very cheep to drive, old ones have a huge parts base, huge online support, they are everywhere, old ones can be had cheep, then sold for the same amount. are light for a street bike, have plastic stuff on them.

-carbs (only the new ones have fuel injection), they're every where.

ninja 500
+ standard ergos, nice seat(best rear motorcycle seat i have ridden on when my bike broke), decent after-market, fairly easy to work on (my little brother was able to rebuild his after forgetting how important it is to miss the ground if you spontaneously try to learn to fly while doing a corner at 70+ miles an hour. ), have plastic stuff on them.

-the tank and fairing were not built for tall people, not as good a gas mileage as expected(45-50), carbs, and my brother owns one.

you might want to check out the cbr250, cbr 500, ninja 650, sv 650, & gs 500 as well. but i do not have experience with them so i won't talk about them.

you do not want a 600, they have less room for tall people than the bikes i suggested, you end up almost sitting on your heals, pitched forward. the controls are set up to exaggerate every thing you do (this means you both have to use more force to make the bike do what you want, and any mistake you make is magnified), they are much more expensive to ride(lower gas mileage, high part cost, high insurance cost), and their rear seats are not as comfortable.

check this cite out for an idea about how much room bikes will have for you.Motorcycle Ergonomics

a further note, if you buy a cheap 250-500, you will have some money left over in your budget. Use that money to have a mechanic check the bike out for you, and set up the controls for you.
This will make a standard 250-500, already better for tall people, custom fitted to you. Adjusting the controls to fit you really does help with the bike's long ride comfort.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
an inline 4 motorcycle engine sounds like a V10 or V12? :headscrtch

For a $3000 budget you're going to be hard pressed to find an inline 4 with 'lots of plastics like a :gsxr' Most beginner bikes are singles or parallel twins. Many beginner bikes don't have plastics, because beginners tend to drop the bike or get in low speed accidents, which would just kill the plastics anyway.

As someone your height, but not your weight, I'd recommend a Ninja 500 for a first bike. The new CBR500 (the faired model) is nice, but over your budget.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it's sounding like 600+ CC will not be comfortable with my height. As to look at CBR and Ninja 500? Any specific parts would make it more comfortable for me or sound better. And I sat on 250s they feel REALLY small.

As for Carbs and Fuel Injection sounds like Fuel Injection > Carbs?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Comfort- Their are some farkles that help comfort, but the biggest thing is to get the controls adjusted to fit you.

Sound- I spend a lot of time working with, around, and repairing engines. so i don't enjoy the sounds of engines, at all. i can't be of much help getting the bike to sound like you want it to sound.

Carb vs. Fuel Injection- yes FI>Carb. However FI means a more expensive bike. Any way my rides can go threw 40+degrees of temp change, and 7000 feet elevation change so the limits of carbs are apparent for me. if you live in a more level, and temperature stable environment many of the carb problem won't be as big a deal for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in Illinois so tempature changes alot. And how much or who could I go to to get controls changed for me?

I've been reading, and it seems like 600 is a more reccomended bike for b***** people? I mean I have a Harley mechanic that lives with me so he could do some stuff.

As for bikes li really like the Ninja and CBR. Though CBR > Ninja.

What's the difference between like CBR and CBR rr or older CBR F3?

·
Registered
222 Posts
So it's sounding like 600+ CC will not be comfortable with my height. As to look at CBR and Ninja 500? Any specific parts would make it more comfortable for me or sound better. And I sat on 250s they feel REALLY small.

As for Carbs and Fuel Injection sounds like Fuel Injection > Carbs?

Huh? The engine size doesn't matter for your size, you can ring it out on a ninja 250 all day but the smart choice is to get a beginner bike like an FZ6R, or Ninja 650R or SV650.

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
Here's the deal. If you are really going to become a lifelong rider, your first bike is just that, your first bike. Eventually you will move on to other bikes. Your first bike should be affordable, easy and cheap to maintain, allow you to easily master the control and operation of a bike. Get a used, manageable bike and get most of your mistakes out of the way. That will give you time to really learn more about the many, many options that are out there and better understand the type of riding you want to do and what types of bike would best fit you. Don't rush this. I ran into a guy recently during a break that said, "Enjoy it while you can. Things start to change in your 80's" Then he pulled off and I saw a patch on his jacket about being in an "Octogenarian Club".

Take your time and keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
And how much or who could I go to to get controls changed for me?
Dealerships might do it for you, but will probably be expensive.
I'd look around for a good independent shop.
I've been reading, and it seems like 600 is a more reccomended bike for b***** people?
then you have been doing very selective reading.

I mean I have a Harley mechanic that lives with me so he could do some stuff.
Most Harleys are aircooled, narrow angle v twins, with push rods, belt driven wheels, and low seating position.

most of the bikes you are talking about or that i recommended are water cooled, inline twins, Inline fours, singles, or 90 degree v-twins, use double overhead cams, chain final drives, and high seats.

A harley mechanic will be able to help with the basics, but their are substantial differences between the bikes.
As for bikes li really like the Ninja and CBR. Though CBR > Ninja.

What's the difference between like CBR and CBR rr or older CBR F3?
the biggest developments in recent years are combustion chamber design, higher compression engines, fluid dynamics analysis on intakes, fuel injection, and finite element analysis on everything.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I rode a Ninja 500 when I first started. At the time I was 6'2 240lbs. It was comfortable enough for me to go back and forth between Norfolk, VA and Jacksonville, NC every weekend. Had plenty of pep and sounded decent. It has alot of plastic on it so it should meet your needs. Easy bike to handle also

Reactions: glenn3

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome thank you for all the advice everyone. Would a basic craigslist bike be a good 1st bike? Again like you said, get one that is a decent one to learn on.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
sure, craigslist is fine.

but i do suggest getting a used bike you're thinking about buying looked over by a mechanic, that should help eliminate some of the lemons.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I wish I had someone unbiased with me to look over my first bike. It turned out mechanically sound but had some cosmetic damage that I missed and may have saved me some money but I was too emotionally invested in the bike and the long ride back home to take a good enough look at it. To be fair I'm not 100% sure the previous owner knew about the damage either as he only put about 400 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
ninja 650r, comfortable, looks really good and has plenty of power but not too much.

You mentioned a harley, if you are talking to harley guys remember. a 1200cc harley makes a lot less power than a 600cc sport bike. the harley guys may try to tell you that you need to start out on a 1000cc bike or otherwise you will be on a "girls bike" lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have yet to go to a Kawasaki or Suzuki dealer. I would love to look at gixxers and ninjas. Also drummer, Ur avatar is a street triple how are those, they were pretty comfy.

I love New ninjas they look great!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I love New ninjas they look great!
A good looking bike is a phenomenal thing, but it's also your first bike. Like a first car, it certainly doesn't need to be a looker. Especially as new riders are prone to drop it a time or two. Do you really want to get yourself a drop dead gorgeous first bike and then mess it up? Besides, you don't see much of it while riding.

Craigslist can yield good deals, especially if you happen to live in an area with a lot of motorcyclists. For instance I live near D.C., where I have an extremely influential position with the government (totally kidding!), and motorcycles seem very prevalent here.

I had to obsessively stalk CL for about a month, but I picked up my Bandit for $900 and even got the guy to deliver it to my house. One rear tire and one new horn later, I had an excellent running, dirt cheap first bike. Which I crashed in a parking lot about a week later. Which led me to figure out how to replace some things and resulted in some scratches on the bike (thank god it wasn't gorgeous to begin with). But that's another story.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ment as later on I'd like to get one after years of experience. Haha. Yes I was told will drop first bike at least once. Right now one thing I really want if comfortable with that inline 4 sound. So craigslist in the Chicagoland area has bikes, most are Harleys :( few rockets but will see.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Do yourself a favor and stay away from the RR bikes for now. It can be done but it is best if you stick to something like what everyone here is suggesting. Also understand that when people tell you to look at things like the 650s it is not the same as the 600s. The 650s are very tame compared to 600s, 750s, 1000s. The 500 is a great one I would say so are the 650s. Might even look at the 300s but they are newer and might be over your budget.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts