Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everywhere I've been I keep reading the 250 a great newbie bike. Don't know if this is the right place to post this thread (pardon the ignorance moderators). Taking the MSF this weekend and looking for a used Ninja 250.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
a 250 is a good starter, but you'll get sick of it pretty fast. Good luck, and be safe.

·
How about them Redskins?
2,418 Posts
2k1bullitt said:
Everywhere I've been I keep reading the 250 a great newbie bike. Don't know if this is the right place to post this thread (pardon the ignorance moderators). Taking the MSF this weekend and looking for a used Ninja 250.
Brian should give his 600 starter speech anytime now :)

A 250 or 500 would be a great starter bike. Good luck at the MSF class and welcome to the Las Vegas Board. :)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
The roommie is buying the Ninja. She'll probably decide she hates it, but I can't sell it out from under her. She's supposed to take her dmv written test tomorrow.

Just one more week, then I'll have something I can really get hurt on.

·
Registered
842 Posts
my opinion is not really strong on the ninja 25 500 thing. i dont like its suspension tires and stuff. kinda scarey if you ask me. if i was just starting out id want a zx6e or something, thats still sensible i guess. but what do i know...

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I think the biggest problem with the 250 is it's inability to get out of it's own way... not that i've ever ridden one, but the 500 is sluggish enough. I need something that's as likely to get me out of trouble as to get me in. I've had a couple incidents where people have tried to break the polyexclusionary rule of space, by moving into my lane,which requires gassing it to get out of the way. It takes my li'l baby too long to respond to the command, and incidentally we've nearly been splattered on multiple ocasions.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Read the bottom line

R1Elvis said:
Brian should give his 600 starter speech anytime now :)

A 250 or 500 would be a great starter bike. Good luck at the MSF class and welcome to the Las Vegas Board. :)
Your wish is my command...

This is a touchy subject. People, especially on this board like to get on soap boxes and actually seem to get angry when people disagree with them.

Many will argue that the lighter motorcycle is the safer one (and I wouldn't be surprised if someone posted the link to the rant about that). That arguement is false since the GSXR1000 has a dry weight of 370 pounds while the EX500 has a dry weight of 388 pounds.

The suspension used on current year Ninja 250's and Ninja EX500's are circa 1987. I don't know about the brakes, but I don't imagine that they're too much improved over the suspension.

In my opinion, the F2 is a perfect starter bike. While powerful for its day and still dangerous for a stupid person (stupid people should even be allowed to be mopeds, let alone a motorcycle) it is not anywhere near as fast as a current year 600 of any flavor.

The F2 has very good suspension and brakes, comparable to current sportbikes. The seating ergonomics are comfortable and friendly. You don't have to stretch far for the handlebars nor are your legs cramped with high set footpegs.

It has enough power to keep you happy for a couple years, while you'll get bored with a Ninja 250 or 500 within a few months.

The bottom line is get what you're comfortable riding. If you feel a 600 is too much for you, it probably is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. I've only ridden a couple times before on my Uncle's Road Star Warrior. I'm smart enough to know it's too much power for me, but not experienced enough to know what a good choice for a first bike will be. I understand the "late 80's" technology is outdated compared to today's newest bikes, but I also have to consider today's manufacturers still use "drum brakes" on new cruisers which are significantly older technology.

It's tough. I have good hand/eye coordination, not-so-common "common sense", but don't want to be overconfident of my abilities with my first choice. A 500/600 might be too tempting, not sure. Again, no experience comes into play. I have to trust the judgement of others. Just trying to keep myself reigned-in, if you will.

·
Registered
918 Posts
It looks like you're on the right to take to making a good choice.

I don't think I've ever seen a sport bike, even pseudo-sport bikes like the EX500 and 250 with anything other than disc brakes.

I'm not trying to talk you into getting a 600, just trying to give you informed options.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to let you ride Mandy's EX500, Don's 636, Lloyd's R1 or Ben's RC51. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. You can't ride my bike though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm hoping to have everything nailed-down and be on the (back) roads by Labor Day weekend. If I can't find a used bike at a decent price, $3k isn't bad for a starter bike with warranty etc., but I'll have a s-l-o-w break-in period...keeping the bike under 4k rpm for the first 1k miles. Are there any local riding groups to help a newbie like me? Nothing liking gaining experience from the "experienced".

·
Registered
918 Posts
Each person that rides with us rides their own pace, so it is perfect for a newbie.
Some of us ride pretty fast, others slow. We wait at every turn off and regroup to make sure no one is left behind.

·
Registered
529 Posts
evildead said:
If you'd like, I'd be happy to let you ride Mandy's EX500, Don's 636, Lloyd's R1 or Ben's RC51. I'm sure they wouldn't mind. You can't ride my bike though.
You forgot Chuck's 250 man.. That is still in my garage.. ;)

As for learning the ropes, I DO NOT mind helping out somone that genuinely wants to learn how to ride. You can find my number all over this damn board. So just give me a call.

As for a starter bike. I would try and find an older bike. Something late 90's, probably a 600. I have not ridden Chuck's EX 250 (Probably should have), but I know Ben was hateing life on it. Seems a little too much like a cheap dirtbike to me. But what do I know :) It is one that would teach you the mechanics of rideing, and get you into the swing of things. They also take accidents really well..

- Ice_Hole

·
Registered
365 Posts
evildead said:
In my opinion, the F2 is a perfect starter bike. While powerful for its day and still dangerous for a stupid person (stupid people should even be allowed to be mopeds, let alone a motorcycle) it is not anywhere near as fast as a current year 600 of any flavor.

The F2 has very good suspension and brakes, comparable to current sportbikes. The seating ergonomics are comfortable and friendly. You don't have to stretch far for the handlebars nor are your legs cramped with high set footpegs.

It has enough power to keep you happy for a couple years, while you'll get bored with a Ninja 250 or 500 within a few months.

The bottom line is get what you're comfortable riding. If you feel a 600 is too much for you, it probably is.
I learned how to ride on a F2 - it has a nice stable feel to it and enough power that you wont out grow it in a month.

As for who to ride with - show up for the BBQ on Sat and listen to these guys and girls talk about riding, there is a lot of experience in this group, and they will be happy to "tell you" how to ride.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Clayface said:
I learned how to ride on a F2 - it has a nice stable feel to it and enough power that you wont out grow it in a month.

As for who to ride with - show up for the BBQ on Sat and listen to these guys and girls talk about riding, there is a lot of experience in this group, and they will be happy to "tell you" how to ride.
Or, if you buy all the bullshit.. Man, you will be focked for life.

- Ice_Hole

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
i was having a geek moment.. i have a lot of those, since I'm a big geek.

Bullit, if you're coming out to the bbq on saturday, you can prolly take my ninja for a spin. She's like indestructible. (and only mine for like 6 more days.)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts