Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
I suggest a SNELL rated helmet, bought new, from one of the several discount houses. Such helmets can be obtained for as little as $100, giving you safety while offering an opportunity to try several different ones while finding the perfect one. Others can be sold through CL at little loss.

KeS

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips guys, I will definitely have to shop around online and check the local stores. You guys recommend a helmet store?

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Oh, and don't be shy on fit - most riders are in a helmet one size too large

when you move the helmet, your cheek skin should be moving with it

Where are you in Arizona?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone familiar with these helmet stores? The Helmet Harbor, The Helmet Center, Cycle Gear, GP helmets...these are all local for me so I'd like to check them out first to try on helmets before I check out online stores.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The Cycle Gear in Mesa used to be really good, had a huge selection. Haven't been there in a few years though, but the store employees will help you get a good fit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: SFbiker13

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great thanks! I know HelmetHarbor.com has a local store near me so I may check them out first....I will let you guys know how it all goes! Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also is there a particular brand that anyone recommends?? Just trying to cover all my bases so I don't look like a deer in headlights when I walk into a store.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also is there a particular brand that anyone recommends?? Just trying to cover all my bases so I don't look like a deer in headlights when I walk into a store.
I have a ICON alliance and like it. Its not Snell rated but if your not going to be doing track days then it will be fine. Try on the Speed & Strength brand, the padding on those is awesome. Also look at the Scorpion and Bell line of helmets. I'd only go with Shoei or Arai if I was going to do some hardcore riding or alot of track days as those helmets are top of the line and can get a bit expensive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! Yeah, I am very interested in the track days and going in that direction...so I'm thinking Arai. Keep the suggestions coming! Fantastic info

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I've had an expensive AGV and thought it was ok, crash tested it and it worked great. Now I have a Bell RS1 for half the price and I love it. More comfortable, flows tons of air, and gives great visibility. Plus they have Transitions shield.

·
Registered
250 Posts
1) Is this your first bike?
2) It's all about the fit, fit, fit. Find the store with the biggest selection near you, and try on helmets from all brands. I have a big, funny-shaped head with a mop of Italian hair on it - none of the Arai helmets I've tried fit, but most Shoei ones have been ok. I ended up with a Bell Vortex, which was also pretty reasonably priced, great padding + build quality.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Best expensive Helm I've owned is a bell star.

I've used soumy and a older shoes and the bell has better air flow and fits my head better. But the shoes and soumy are a few years older then my bell.

Icon Alliance ssr line is a good entry level helm but I wouldn't do much tracking or touring in it. There a bit heavy. I have crash tested it and it worked out just fine.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I have a ICON alliance and like it. Its not Snell rated but if your not going to be doing track days then it will be fine. Try on the Speed & Strength brand, the padding on those is awesome. Also look at the Scorpion and Bell line of helmets. I'd only go with Shoei or Arai if I was going to do some hardcore riding or alot of track days as those helmets are top of the line and can get a bit expensive.
The helmet nor the ground give one flying fuck if you are doing a track day or just commuting to work.

A five mph fall fak snap your neck... Buy a well rated helmet and make sure it fits.

Bell star is a nice helmet. I only use mine I'm good weather- it fogs like a mother fucker on me (this is not something any one else here seems to struggle with but it is for me. My other helmet is a scorpion... I love it... Paid 75$ for it.

But my.shoei was hands down the best. I'll probably buy another in two or tjree years I like it that much.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The helmet nor the ground give one flying fuck if you are doing a track day or just commuting to work.

A five mph fall fak snap your neck... Buy a well rated helmet and make sure it fits.

Bell star is a nice helmet. I only use mine I'm good weather- it fogs like a mother fucker on me (this is not something any one else here seems to struggle with but it is for me. My other helmet is a scorpion... I love it... Paid 75$ for it.

But my.shoei was hands down the best. I'll probably buy another in two or tjree years I like it that much.
My RS1 shield fogs in the cold way quicker and severely than any other helmet I've had. The shield seems thinner when compared to my other helmets which may be why it fogs up so bad. I put some anti fog spray on it and it helped this morning.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts