Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Riders, wanting to buy a bike for the first time and looking for advice on what to get, so far i have 2 options an '98 FZR600 or a '95 ZX-750 both around $1500(zx could be get for somewhat less), the fzr runs good and has somewhat low mileages, the ZX has a bad 2nd gear but otherwise runs good according to the seller, don't know the actual mileage, i'm inclined for the zx-7 due to looks and seems like could be more fun to drive for more time than the fzr but the 2nd gears make me think again.

What do you think guys, which one to get? or any other bike that you recommend instead? i'm looking for something < 2000 that has something more than just learning potential.

·
Registered
8 Posts
LOVE the look of the xc-7l as well. I can see your predicament. All the same, the other isn't a bad looking bike (imo, I like the old look to it).

But then again, after my accident it seems sI sometimes have trouble getting into third gear and it drives me batty. And it sucks when you're rolling along in gear and are about to make a turn and then suddenly you're in neutral.

On the other side most of the older bikes will have a bad second gear. People, they suck at shifting :p

I'm on the fense. I'd probably go for the cx-7l because it's what I want.

As far as potential goes you'd be surprised how far the little bikes can take you. They're fun, and nimble and have their place. You can also change the gearing on them to accelerate faster or have a higher top speed. I own a stock ninja 250r. It's been in an accident so I took it out on the highway to make sure the motor was behaving like it did. You'd be surprised how fast those things can go. Fast enough to almost kill me no problem. And never lost a drag race with any sports car lol. The acceleration from the start is worse then say a 600 I admit. And acceleration from start can be fun (no skill needed for wheelies). Also, acceleration feels great. But I have to say even with my friends on the liters if there are turns, that bike is keeping up. I only lose them on the straightaways if they're going a ridiculous speed. And the Ninja can go a ridiculous speed imo (much faster then highway speeds anyhow). Which is nice in case you're in need of some sudden acceleration in case of an idiot driver.

...Just don't get a 125 :p

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Hey Riders, wanting to buy a bike for the first time and looking for advice on what to get, so far i have 2 options an '98 FZR600 or a '95 ZX-750 both around $1500(zx could be get for somewhat less), the fzr runs good and has somewhat low mileages, the ZX has a bad 2nd gear but otherwise runs good according to the seller, don't know the actual mileage, i'm inclined for the zx-7 due to looks and seems like could be more fun to drive for more time than the fzr but the 2nd gears make me think again.

What do you think guys, which one to get? or any other bike that you recommend instead? i'm looking for something < 2000 that has something more than just learning potential.
Neither. For under $2k your best bet is a Ninja 250, Ninja 500, or Suzuki GS500E

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
unless you know about; dogs, teeth, and forks in transmissions, forget bikes with bad gears.

i say ninja 250.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I say 500, people say 250 but everyones tends to get bored on those little things. I wish I had skipped it, then again I spent years on a 125

·
Registered
8 Posts
I say 500, people say 250 but everyones tends to get bored on those little things. I wish I had skipped it, then again I spent years on a 125
I've raced a few stock 500s on my 250 if we're talking about the old ninja. They were sad to find out we were on par. I guess it's the gearing. We also have about the same top speed (~180km/hr). If you're going to skip the 250, skip the 500 as well. They're ugly and just as slow :p

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I've raced a few stock 500s on my 250 if we're talking about the old ninja. They were sad to find out we were on par. I guess it's the gearing. We also have about the same top speed (~180km/hr). If you're going to skip the 250, skip the 500 as well. They're ugly and just as slow :p
Race people capable of shifting? The EX500 has nearly double the hp and has more than double the tq and even with similar gearing should be a good deal faster.

1/4m 250cc = 14.6 sec 250 0-60 = 5.5
1/4m 500cc = 12.9 sec 500 0-60 = 3.7

In the upper end 80+ they both start running out of breath, but 0 - 60 the 500 will hurt the 250. (And yea, all Ninja 500 are dog ugly as are the 07> Ninja 250s.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm going with the FZR600, taking into account the age i guess it should be putting around 65hp, so i guess is plenty but no too much for learning and having some fun, now what about gear, what brands are good and affordable? i don't want to spend another $500 on the gear if i can help it. :D

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm going with the FZR600, taking into account the age i guess it should be putting around 65hp, so i guess is plenty but no too much for learning and having some fun, now what about gear, what brands are good and affordable? i don't want to spend another $500 on the gear if i can help it. :D
You are ignoring all of the advice given. So what makes us believe you will accept advise on gear? Get whatever you want since you will anyway.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
A bike loses over 1/4 of it's horsepower just because it's 15 years old? Fuck me, I never knew that. :headscrtch

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
91HP, actually... If you're going to ignore good advice, at least have your facts in order.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You are ignoring all of the advice given. So what makes us believe you will accept advise on gear? Get whatever you want since you will anyway.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Hey not at all arcticamt and actually i was on the idea to save for a new ninja 300 but thinking that I may drop the bike when learning kept me out from new for first bike. I'm getting the FZR from a friend and know that the bike is in good shape, i had looked at some 500 but they were pretty beat up and for the same price I didn't liked the idea. I hear you and really hope i don't came to regret not had started with a smaller bike.

A bike loses over 1/4 of it's horsepower just because it's 15 years old? Fuck me, I never knew that. :headscrtch
I may be on denial on the power of this thing, to tell you the truth i have no idea how much power is lost after 15 year but you could be right and the power still there, anyway for me the bike feels really fast to me and i pretend to be bellow 4th gear for a few months.

Well, regarding the gear i guess is really no brainer, you need to get it and wear it, the input that i was really looking for was for helmet since the few i had tried are tight on the temples. I have a round head, so if there are any round heads around, what models had you found to be the more comfortable?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Is that a Thundercat or a R6? One has real bars, the other clip-ons.
Order on-line. Gear is gear, although I might lose my chance at my poser endorsement for saying so. Helmets are not graded, they are pass/fail. So long as it says DOT you are good to go. The difference between a 40$US helmet and a 600$US helmet is fit and finish, NOT Safety.
Boots either have heel & toe protection or they don't. That protection is either steel or ceramic. More variables with boots. I wear something called River Road Boots. Ceramic toes and heels with a steel shank in the sole. Ugly as homemade sin. Cost $49.99 through Leather-up. I know they work because I tipped over and had my foot pinned between the bike and the ground. They took that 450Lbs. without leaving a mark on me. Much cheaper then a prosthesis. I have diabetic foot and wear size 11EEE boots. They have zippers and laces, which I must have. Did I mention they raise the bar on ugly?
I have a 10-year old Vanson in the closet. What I wear is a mix of Kevlar and Nomex. It has a zip out lining and seems to be much kooler then leather. I got it for that and the pockets. 16 of them, not including the Armor pockets. The Jacket has Impact armor everywhere it needs to be.
It's made by 'X-element'. I never heard of them either. 89.99$US I wear trousers that are a Kevlar/cotton blend. Cargo pants I bought at Cycle Gear. IIRC I got them on sale for 60$ per. Bought 3 pairs. I like to travel but I loath bags. So I have a backpac that holds a lap, books and pair of my cargo pants. Where ever I go, there is a Walmart, so I can just swing by and get new undies and socks. My backpac had a pouch for my helmet. It also has a place I can fasten my cane to. :wise It is by Alpine Star and I paid waaaay to much for it but none of the others I looked at were going to work.
This is me. I'm not you and you are not me. Something for which we both are grateful. :dodgy
My brother is a serious poser. He refuses to be seen with me at certain hangouts while I'm wearing my boots. E-mails me 'deals' he finds on suitable poser footwear. Did I mention they are ugly boots?
Gear is personal. Just make sure it does the job. Bone up on what the safety standards are, then have at it.:gab
I have owned 2 ZX7r's (1996 and 2002). One of the best motorcycles ever made. I will catch flak for this but I consider it to be a good learner bike IIFFF you ride rationally. It is extremely stable in the corners and that super front end can steer you out of just about anything you can steer into.
Either will kill you in a heartbeat if you get stooopid on them. I ride a FZ-6 now, which is an 'evolved' Thundercat. Better frame, FI and better computer. I've never ridden a 'Thundercat'. If you were my son, I would recomend the 600, IF it has real bars. Clip-ons are for the track. They pull your head down and on the street, you need your head UP so your SA has a chance to develop.:flash
Lots of newbys come to grief because threats are different on a motorcycle. What is nothing in a car can be mortal peril on a bike and visa versa.
:bolt

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is that a Thundercat or a R6? One has real bars, the other clip-ons.
I think the one i got is a previous model to the Thundercat this is the exact model. Yamaha FZR600 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey, i had checked out the river road gear and looks quite good and affordable, i think i'll give it a try, just one question do you find their products generally on the tight or loose side, i'm somewhat big 6'0" 240lbs and i'm on the idea that i'll need to get at least one size up on bike gear from what i regular wear.

Thanks for the helpful comments and by the way are you really 61 and still riding strong? that rules! i hope to be riding at that age!

·
old member
13,079 Posts
...Hey, i had checked out the river road gear and looks quite good and affordable, i think i'll give it a try, just one question do you find their products generally on the tight or loose side, i'm somewhat big 6'0" 240lbs and i'm on the idea that i'll need to get at least one size up on bike gear from what i regular wear...
Many new riders get their first riding gear sized too large thinking it should feel like street clothes. It should not fit loosely like casual clothes. A better fit is snug without restricting movement. If you get a chance to try some things on (always a good idea), see how it feels when sitting in a position as close as possible to sitting on your bike.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
My boots are 11EEE. Any b***** and the US Marines would requisition them for landing barges. I always go large. Worse comes to worse I can always put on another pair of socks. I really like the zipper/laces combination. Zipper for on/off and laces to adjust the fit. My problem is getting the toe from under to over on the shifter and vise versa. But that is the foot, not the boot.
Not today. i buggered up my front sprocket nut and lock washer when I put on my 520 conversion kit. Got my parts about 2 hours ago and when the sun pops up tomorrow @ 5:30 something AM, I will start working on it. Old farts have to make adjustments. I figure it would take a normal person about 2 hours working slow to get everything back together. I hope to have it done by noon. Then I'll be riding strong. Well, riding at least.
Want to ride a long time? Forget what bureaucrats at the MSF say. Every time you throw your leg over that crotch rocket (anything with clip-ons) remind yourself that EVERY car you see is out to kill you. Don't let them. What makes motorcycling dangerous is all those killer apes at the controls of 3,000+ Lb. projectiles.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts