Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Just want to let you all know that i have taken the MSF last year, and havent ridden a motorcycle since. Im taking the MSF again jess to get a recap. I also decided to go with the 1998+ Katana. My neighbor has a 2002 Kat and that was his first bike too. He seems to be doing OK with although he wants a different bike now. What do you guys think about the Kat for first timers now?? Do you guys think ill be able to handle it??

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
I've seen them listed many times as an "acceptable" 600 to start on. One of their big downfalls is their weight... which will aid in low speed drops (in the driveway, parking lot, etc.). You could certainly do much worse, but you could also do much better. Why not try to pick up a Ninja 250 used, spend a season (or 5,000 miles or so) on it, probably sell it for what you paid, and then get a Kat if that's still what you want? Barring any wrecks or drop damage, you shouldn't be out hardly any money at all, and in the end you will be a better rider for it. The 250 is nice and nimble and will teach you a lot about handling a bike. A used 500 would be great too, but maybe a little harder to find.
Whatever you do, ride safe and don't blow your entire budget on the bike and forget to invest in GEAR.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I picked up an 05 Kat as my first bike about 3 months ago. I love it. It is heavier than other sportbikes but personally I don't see where that matters. It's not underpowered but also not overpowering. The weight will also keep the front from popping up on you unexpectedly. The Kat gets a lot of bashing by other sportbikers which I don't understand. It's been an excellent starter bike for me and I would reccommend it. Whatever you get, just be safe. Remember, it's not what you ride, it's that you're riding.

Vince

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
The Kat is underpowered and heavy, so it is good because its hard to loop, but bad because slow speed control is much more difficult.. You will lose money if you buy a Kat, because there isnt much demand for them.
Buy a used Ninja 250R for your first year. Much easier to gain experience on, and the 250R is VERY easy to resell, and you wont lose hardly any money on it when you sell it. We bought ours and sold it two years later for exactly what we paid for it, and had 12 calls on it the first 3 days. We sold it in 5 days, used that money as downpayment for a CBR F4I

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
like the other's have said it is heavier and alittle harder to control at slow speeds, but if you do get it just take it slow at first till you get use to the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts