Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey SBN I’m a new rider. Been riding/racing dirt bikes for years, all sorts of atv’s and cars my whole life but never owned a street bike. I bought a yellow and black CBR600F4i. I’ve found in my first week of riding that the throttle is a lot more touchy and they have crazy acceleration. I know most basic things mechanically, I’m a certified car mechanic so that stuff is easy for me just wondering what maintenance I should check up on since I just bought it. Also looking for any advice on riding or anything in general is appreciated. Riding in Seattle, Washington! Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
How many miles on the bike?
What aftermarket parts does it have installed?

Find and purchase/download the service manual!

Maintenance wise I would change all fluids.
Brake front and rear, coolant, engine oil, clutch (if it's hydrolic)
Make sure all the caliper pistons are working smooth and free.
Check tire date, don't go by looks as age and number of heat cycles kill tires not wear.
Check fuel tank for debri/rust
Spark plugs and/or valve shim clearance if miles dictate.
Air filter
Shock oil and or seals. Now would be a good time to set sag and see if you need the forks/shock resprung for your weight.
Sprocket wear and chain wear/stretch
Grease suspension, swingarm, steering head bearings. Also check play in steering head bearings
Check throttle and clutch cable for signs of wear and replace if necessary
Test battery voltage both resting and during start. Replace if low at either
Set chain slack, sprocket alignment, and tire pressure and check religiously
Chain should be cleaned every 500 miles or so, less if you ride in dirty, dusty or wet conditions
Control ergonomics - adjust your clutch lever and front brake lever so when your arms, wrist, and hands are in a straight line in your normal riding position your fingers are also on that straight line when reaching for either lever

ATGATT!!!!!! All The Gear All The Time. Dress for the slide not the ride
As far as riding goes I would recommend taking a riders course. Sport bikes are much different than a dirt bike as far as cornering.
Couple of tips.
You should lock your knees into the sides of the tank to hold onto the bike not hold on the the handle bar grips. No pressure or body weight should be on the bars. Basically you are just supplying inputs via throttle, brakes, clutch and are along for the ride. With a dirt bike you can muscle the bike through corners and steering inputs. On a sport bike if you do this you will have a bad day.
To corner (speeds higher then say 10mph) you want to countersteer by applying pressure forward or pushing the bar on the side you want to turn into. Sounds ass backward but just try it while driving in a straight line and see how it feels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh I can also give you a couple rider mistakes/bad habits I had to work on

When switching your body from side to side on the bike for cornering or in the seat don't use the bars to pull your upper body over. Bad habit I broke quickly but makes the front end very unstable especially on the street with eneven surfaces, potholes, tar snakes, etc
Your arms, shoulders, grip on the bars should all be loose and relaxed I still have (am working on it every time I ride) a bad habit of forcing my elbows out like I'm on a dirt bike. Your forearms should be almost parallel to the ground when riding in a straight line which requires you to use your core to support your upper torso weight and you should be leaning your chest forward not rolling your shoulders forward and keeping your head down and eyes up not forcing your head up to see.

These two things will make you much more relaxed, smooth, and stable on the bike not to mention reduce fatigue and pain during longer rides

1 - 3 of 3 Posts