Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read every post on new tires and taking it easy and burning off the coating...etc
So yesterday morning, I was feeling kinda sick but I had to run to the office at about 9. It had rained the night before and when I left it was cool and moist out. The roads were not really wet but they were damp. I also have a new rear tire but I had already put like 350 hard riding miles on them. I rode to Ft. Bragg and back last Thursday taking all back roads. Lots of curves.

I took this left turn at a major intersection that I have been through hundreds of times on my bike. I wasn't going very fast but I was leaned over pretty good when without any warning, the bike slammed to the ground and I slid about 20 feet. I was wearing my helmet, gloves, steel toed boots. I was also wearing this heavy 100% cotton rugby shirt (American Eagle) that did not tear!!! I got some good burns and bruises on my left arm but the shirt kept me from touching the pavement. I am amazed. I yanked the bike up and about pulled a rib and then coaxed it back to life and took off. About an hour later I was aching...Today I am F'd up but nothing too bad. Just one more lesson and taking it down another notch.

I went back to the site after I got to work and found that there was a massive coating of this brown, oily water mixture that I slipped on.
This is one of the major intersections in my area, the same road I almost got drenched in fuel from a truck so there is lots of car residue.

I have some pics but once again my “Manage Attachments” button isn’t working. It works intermittently.

·
Registered
422 Posts
thanks god that you okay, i hate when the roades are wet the bike always feel funny. hopfully you get better soon. gears alway save your skin.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
owwee, bummer guy. I'm sorry to hear that. I think at least 80% of us have gone down on something slippery. Glad your ok! thats all that matters...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Good to see your alright. Almost had the same thing happen to me. I was taking a curve (not leaned over very far at all though) and started to slide, I caught it somehow though, was wet paint on a cement road.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
American Eagle gear, it's going to be the hottest gear on the block next summer.

good thing you are alright.

hate those damn oil patches.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all!
Here are some pics. I figured if at least one person learns from my mistakes all is good.
I have a great jacket, Teknic Interstate but it is so hot I can't stand it. I was looking at a nice Mesh jacket when I was having my tire put on. Probably should have gotten it. The armor would have helped. I really was amazed at how well that shirt held up, the shirt is like 2 years old.

The last pic shows my rear tire after I came home from the shop and a little bit of riding on a few hard curves.

Attachments

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
glad your ok. I guess it happens to us all.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Slick American Eagle endorsement!
just kidding. glad that you are ok though.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
glad you are ok, my rear tire blew out today when riding, I was just happy that I didn't go down.

·
Registered
681 Posts
japbike said:
I think at least 80% of us have gone down on something slippery
Now it may just be me.....but coming from a girl, that sounds great/wrong. :headbang

·
Go #214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2,390 Posts
After 350 miles the tire isn't really so new anymore. The mold release should be gone completely

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just got my new M1 on the back yesterday, they said be careful for the first 50-100 miles....who knows how accurate that is though. I sprayed it down with this paint prep stuff to remove any coating.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I did the same thing on an oil slick but i managed somehow not to drop it.

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
At least your bike still works and you came out alright.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts