Sport Bikes banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I put the money down on a 05 R6 and I am going to have to change the rear spring to a stiffer one. Is this and easy thing to do myslef or should i pay the $60.00/hr labor and have the stealership, I mean dealership, do it for me?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
why are you changing the spring?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RACER X said:
why are you changing the spring?

Because I weigh around 245-250 lbs and I was told that I would have a hard time setting up the suspension with the stock springs. Am I wrong in this?

·
Registered
498 Posts
The stock suspension will handle you fine. Increase the preload in order to set the proper rear sag for when you are on the bike. You should not have to change the rear spring at all.

·
Registered
364 Posts
i changed my shock with the help of my dad. Its not too hard if you have something like a sawhorose to prop up the tail with... Otherwise its kind of a bitch b/c you have to hold up the tail while the other person unscrews the bolts. It took maybe 40 minutes with 2 guys, so I would do it yourself if you had a friend or something that could help.

it also makes it A LOT easier if you find something to keep the tail up with so make sure you at least try and look for something

·
Registered
401 Posts
Try to set the rear sag with the stock shock first. It's easy to do and it doesn't cost anything. Then if you are not able to get the correct sag, go ahead and purchase a new spring. They are pretty cheap and changing it out should be pretty easy. You might want to have someone help you set the rear sag and/or change the spring out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try to set the rear sag with the stock shock first. It's easy to do and it doesn't cost anything. Then if you are not able to get the correct sag, go ahead and purchase a new spring. They are pretty cheap and changing it out should be pretty easy. You might want to have someone help you set the rear sag and/or change the spring out.
Question, if you are on the border between spring rates should you get one where you are at the upper limit, or the lower limit for the spring?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts