Sport Bikes banner

Do you think Yamaha going to a Triple is a good or bad move?

• Yes, bring on the fun!

Votes: 24 68.6%
  • No, I like my Yamaha the way it is!

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Go Spies!

Votes: 4 11.4%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
Triumph should have made a 3 cylinder daytona literbike YEARS ago. Now they are going to lose out.

3 cylinders make MUCH better street bikes than I-4's, honestly. And if they can get the extra displacement for racing, it'll work there, too.

Reactions: Scissors and I-Jo

·
Registered
59 Posts
The 3 cylinder 675 is much more fun to ride than any I4 600 in my opinion. I'd definitely be interested in an 1100 triple if they can get the extra displacement signed off on. I think this is coming from the fact that supersports are at the limit of the materials we have to build them with. If you already have a modern bike there isn't much reason to buy the new model. I think the OEMs are realizing this, and as a result you get Yamaha's crossplane and now triples, Honda working on a new V4, etc. Personally I think they should be focusing on getting costs down if they want to sell more bikes, but what do I know?

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it. They might try a triple middle weight, as they wouldn't be the only manufacturer with a triple out there, and rules would probably be changed in any 600cc category to allow 675cc triples.

But there are no provisions for 3 cylinder literbikes, and they would need more than just 1000cc to make a triple competitive, maybe 1050 or 1100cc? They would be the only ones with a triple "liter" racing SBK...

Don't think so...

·
Registered
743 Posts
Its a good thing IMO. More torque at lower revs means more fun on the street. Lower revs means less maintenance and possibly better fuel mileage. Narrower bike, probably weigh a little less. Lower MSRP. Add more CCs to get the power back and you've essentially lost nothing but gained a lot.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
Triumph should have made a 3 cylinder daytona literbike YEARS ago. Now they are going to lose out.

3 cylinders make MUCH better street bikes than I-4's, honestly. And if they can get the extra displacement for racing, it'll work there, too.

Yes, but............. I'd say a twin is better yet! I enjoyed the engine of my Sprint ST, but I like the Rotax in the Buell even more.

Yes, they aren't the same "type" of bike, but still......

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it. They might try a triple middle weight, as they wouldn't be the only manufacturer with a triple out there, and rules would probably be changed in any 600cc category to allow 675cc triples.

But there are no provisions for 3 cylinder literbikes, and they would need more than just 1000cc to make a triple competitive, maybe 1050 or 1100cc? They would be the only ones with a triple "liter" racing SBK...

Don't think so...
Supposedly they are in negotiations to get the limit for triples to be 1100. It's 1000 for 4's and 1200 for twins, so that makes sense.

Anything is possible. Triumph got them to raise the triple limit to 675 for a lot of organizations. And now MV has the 675cc middleweight on the market, too. So it would fit if yamaha made a 675.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
No, it's too "me too"

R6, maybe, R1? No way
That's kind of what I'm thinking. Triumph has sort of built their whole sport/urban bike lines around the triple. Yamaha doing it just seems like they want some of that success.

Yes, but............. I'd say a twin is better yet! I enjoyed the engine of my Sprint ST, but I like the Rotax in the Buell even more.

Yes, they aren't the same "type" of bike, but still......
I dunno. I love twins. I love triples. They are different, though. The triple has decent low end torque and decent top end. Twins always seem to run out of steam toward the top end, but have more low end.

However, twins always seem a little twitchy to me around town. It's almost like there's TOO much torque. It's not as smooth a delivery.

Yeah- this coming from a guy that has an 1100cc twin for his commuter bike, lol.... We'll see how I like it, though. There's a fair chance I'm just going to go out and buy a 1050 Speed Triple within the next couple months.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
However, twins always seem a little twitchy to me around town. It's almost like there's TOO much torque. It's not as smooth a delivery.

Yeah- this coming from a guy that has an 1100cc twin for his commuter bike, lol.... We'll see how I like it, though. There's a fair chance I'm just going to go out and buy a 1050 Speed Triple within the next couple months.
They are twitchy, no way around it. There is too much torque and too much engine braking on twins... They give a new meaning to throttle conrol, and if you don't get it, they bite. Another thing I don't like about twins is that those two big power pulses end up eating the tires, smooth power delivery make for long tire life, and twins are anything but smooth.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
They are twitchy, no way around it. There is too much torque and too much engine braking on twins... They give a new meaning to throttle conrol, and if you don't get it, they bite. Another thing I don't like about twins is that those two big power pulses end up eating the tires, smooth power delivery make for long tire life, and twins are anything but smooth.
Exactly.

I'm not saying they are BAD. They are quite fun. But triples are just so smooth by comparison. Like I said before- pretty much the PERFECT motor for the street.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I'd like to see a 5 cylinder. V5
I remember reading a motorcycle buyers guide last year and it showed that Honda made a 5 cylinder sporty-esque motorcycle. Couldn't remember what kind though.

Edit: Nevermind I found the magazine and I was confusing with an Inline six BMW.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Personally I'd be for it. The more cool and different stuff out there, the better.

Triumph really has missed the boat by not making a 1000 version of the Daytona. The 675 Daytona and Street Triples are so cool, yet to me the Speed Triple is a little too porky feeling. They've needed a liter triple thats really on the sport side.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Exactly. The Duc is pretty smooth -compared to the KTMs I've ridden- pretty much from the botton of the rev range, but it takes some getting used to the amount of instant torque. I NEED to be over 30mph or I just feel trapped.

But riding some curves the engine braking is a true gift. There's just NOTHING like rev-matching some downshifts and hearing that rumble...

I've never ridden a triple. Will have to do that and see :)

nico

·
Registered
381 Posts
Just as long as I don't have to hear about a CBR doing a 2.2 swap, I'm happy.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Diversity. A good thing. It may be 'me too' with Triumph, but anything to get away from this 4 Japanese companies with 4 inline four 600 & 1000s. I understand they're nice/great bikes, but how many people are drooling over the new 600/1000 I4? (Barring the new 636, because it's not a 600.)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Can somebody explain how exactly the 3 cylindar makes perfomance difference compared to 4?
I understand 3 gives you more lower rpm power but is it a trade for a higher end power? Or is it more of a trade for top speed? and as the daytona being 675cc, is it burning more gas which brings down mpg compared to other generic 600cc bikes?
3 cyl is a smaller motor so how does it provide more torque? I looked up the weight difference and they are all about the same.

Any input to clear things up for me would be much appreciated!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts