Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i just got back from the stealership, traded in my low miles WR450F for a FZ6. They didnt have one in the showroom so I have to wait til saturday for the dealer transfer to happen. And i had to settle for the slower blue one :D (really had my heart set on silver, i LOVE those black wheels). But its still an FZ6, and I really think I will be happy on it.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Welcome to the club, you are at least one notch cooler than everyone else now.

Paint your wheels black when it's tire changing time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah ive been lurking here long enough to know about the holy war that is the bike color :) just didnt wanna post anything until i knew i was gonna be an owner.
man this is gonna be a long 2 days...
btw, i had a question about the power commander. does it reprogram the ecu or is it something that has to stay attached piggy-back style? I would really like to recurve the ignition timing to be a bit more agressive to better match higher octane premium fuel, since that should be worth several extra ponies and i dont mind the expense of premium (my other hobby is turbocharged cars, so i already use the best fuel i can find). since i only need to do this once it would be nice if i can just find someone local with the power commander and slip then a couple greenbacks (or cold ones) for temporary usage of it :)

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
You need to piggyback it onto your ECU, it stays strapped under your seat.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
xrattiracer said:
yeah ive been lurking here long enough to know about the holy war that is the bike color :) just didnt wanna post anything until i knew i was gonna be an owner.
man this is gonna be a long 2 days...
btw, i had a question about the power commander. does it reprogram the ecu or is it something that has to stay attached piggy-back style? I would really like to recurve the ignition timing to be a bit more agressive to better match higher octane premium fuel, since that should be worth several extra ponies and i dont mind the expense of premium (my other hobby is turbocharged cars, so i already use the best fuel i can find). since i only need to do this once it would be nice if i can just find someone local with the power commander and slip then a couple greenbacks (or cold ones) for temporary usage of it :)
Welcome.
Here's a mod for you that nobody here has done to the Fizz yet---- Nitrous oxide!:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont use cheater gas on my cars, and i dont intend to use it on my fizzer :)
Once it is paid off its possible it will get a turbo tho :2eek

·
Registered
111 Posts
xrattiracer said:
The FZ is rated for at least 86 octane, so 87 should be fine. You won't gain any extra HP by using 93 nor will you increase your fuel economy, you only pay more for gas.

·
Registered
858 Posts
xrattiracer said:
well i just got back from the stealership, traded in my low miles WR450F for a FZ6. They didnt have one in the showroom so I have to wait til saturday for the dealer transfer to happen. And i had to settle for the slower blue one :D (really had my heart set on silver, i LOVE those black wheels). But its still an FZ6, and I really think I will be happy on it.
:welcome
and you could do as I did and replace the silver rims with the black ones ..
http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=279263

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CerebralAssassin said:
The FZ is rated for at least 86 octane, so 87 should be fine. You won't gain any extra HP by using 93 nor will you increase your fuel economy, you only pay more for gas.
thats my point, i need to redo the ignition timing so that i *will* gain extra power with the higher octane.

·
Registered
732 Posts
xrattiracer,

I imagine that you would need to advance the timing to take advantage of the higher octane fuel? I have a buddy that did something similar to his Mustang GT for a DOE (Design of Experiments) class that he was taking for grad school. He played with ignition timing and (I believe) camshaft advance to get himself some extra HP. The coolest thing that he did, though, was to install a switch under the dash that will allow him to switch the computer between the high octane and low octane settings just in case he needs to use 87 for some reason.

*EDIT*: Found out that you can't advance the camshaft on the Mustang GT, instead my friend played with ignition timing and fuel/air ratio to increase HP.

Do you have access to a dyno? It would be really interesting to see what kind of HP and torque gain you'd be able to get with the better gas. You could run it stock to get a baseline reading, and then try some alternate settings to see what kind of increase you can get.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
i thought the FZ6 was 89 r+m/2

·
Registered
111 Posts
Do a google search on Octane Myths and you'll see that higher octane does not give you extra power, just helps with engine knocking and pinging.

I'm pretty sure my owners manual said 86. I've been using 87 when I fill up and no problems.

·
Registered
732 Posts
CerebralAssassin,

You're correct, in the same engine with the same settings (timing, fuel/air ratio, etc.) using a higher octane fuel doesn't increase horsepower or fuel economy, it just increases resistance to detonation (knocking). BUT, if you adjust the engine's ignition timing and fuel/air mixture, you CAN see an increase in horsepower by taking advantage of the higher octane fuel's anti-knock properties (by advancing timing, etc.). Only with something like a Power Commander, though, can you take advantage of the higher octane fuel.

BTW, this is why some cars (like BMW's) specify only premium fuel. They have very aggressive engine timing to maximize performance that will cause pinging with lower octane gas.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I would research to see what is recommended for the R6 and go by that. I'm pretty sure that it uses 87 as well. My feeling is, if 87 is good enough for the R6, there should be no reason to spend more at the pump. If what you are planning to do is increase HP at the total cost of more than $2000 then you should've bought the R6 and not worry about it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cerebral, youre missing the point. yes, the bike is designed for low octane fuel, and yes, its correct that using higher octane fuel wont gain any power by itself (in fact it will lose a small amount). But a small amount of ignition advance is worth alot of extra power, if the engine can handle it (and thats what the higher octane fuel helps with).
and yes tilejerky, i have a bit of experience with engine tuning :) I have a reprogrammable ecu in my car that i not only change the timing and fueling maps on, i also change the code that it runs to add new features or remove limitations.
I was actually very surprised to learn that the FZ6 was designed for such low octane fuel. an engine with such a high compression ratio usually has to be severely detuned to keep from destroying itself from detonation and preignition that low octane fuel promotes. I would expect a high performance vehicle to require premium fuel for this reason, and fully expected to have to buy it all the time. Its an additional cost that normally goes with toys like this and I fully accept that.

·
Registered
581 Posts
xrattiracer said:
... Its an additional cost that normally goes with toys like this and I fully accept that.
Also, isn't it worth noting that engine-knock is bad. Doesn't it damage the valves and lifters after a while? With an FZ6, You're paying an extra $1.25 per tank for Premium fuel. Crykie! You have any idea how much my premium-only car costs to fill up each week? Saudi Prince Bandar sends me Christmas cards every year.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
FZ6nIT said:
Also, isn't it worth noting that engine-knock is bad. Doesn't it damage the valves and lifters after a while? With an FZ6, You're paying an extra $1.25 per tank for Premium fuel. Crykie! You have any idea how much my premium-only car costs to fill up each week? Saudi Prince Bandar sends me Christmas cards every year.
The thing is, the FZ is DESIGNED for 86 octane. That's the best thing about it. High performance at a lower price. YAY!

·
A Joy to Ride
153 Posts
Monday I got my motorcycle license. Tuesday I picked up my 2005 FZ6. I got the galaxy blue because I think it looks like pure s3x (at work, gotta watch my typing). It's my first bike, and I spent a long time reading the forums about what should be a newb's first and I didn't take any of the advice. I just graduated from college, so I'm still pretty young and dumb. I knew I wanted a bike as soon as I started my job because let's face it, work sux and I need some excitement. I decided against getting something smaller like 250/500 because my best friend started out riding on a Kawasaki Ninja 600, and after a year he is already racing it. He is basically my riding coach and he's doing a great job at it. I also wanted a new bike cuz i could afford it (insert yuppy comment here, although I am financing) and because I just don't really trust used vehicles of any kind. I got the extended service for 5 years, which makes me more feel comfortable.

I took it straight out of the dealership and was trying it out when I figured out that the clutch was ridiculously tight. The bike would creep while I held down the clutch. I loosened it, and retightened it to get a good feel for it but i ended up stalling out so much the battery died. I was sitting on the street with my friend clueless when a kind biker came up and asked if we needed help. Turned out he was a motorcycle mechanic and taught both of us how to bump start it. Talk about good luck.

I plan to practice on it every night after work till this weekend when I head out to the Poconos to watch my friend race.

rock out

1 - 20 of 32 Posts