Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new FZ6 about a month ago. Its my 5th bike. I really like it alot... i had a 650 vtwin cruiser before this that i just loved to ride. it was so comfy and the power was smooooth and you could ride it all day long. i had a 600r before that which was nice, but there was alot more weight on the hands, and the power was more jerky, though more powerfull.i liked the feel of the cruiser, but the power of the sport bike, thats why i like this bike. the riding position is more for touring, which is what i do, i just ride it around, it dont take it to the track, and i take some decently long trips on it. The power is nice, the position is comfortable. the windscreen does a good job of shooting most of the wind over your head even as high up as it is. unless im going over 120, then i dont need to duck my head.it has a strong power pull up to about 130, then power gets more gradual. the jerkyness that people complain about in the throttle is all controlable with how easy you roll onto it, but it becomes second nature once you get the hang of it. some people complain the clutch has a short engagement zone, but those are people who have been riding cruisers, and this is their first thing close to a sportbike. the clutch is actually nice. it is adjustable so you can put the engagement zone right at the tip. you can then change gears with just a pop. some poeple complain that the transmission is loud shifting, but if you shift right (adjusting the clutch helps). The engagement zone is short, and factory set in the middle of the range of motion of the clutch bar. so when you first start squeezing the clutch in, it doesnt even start to disengage the clutch till its halfway in. but most people who lay of the throttle a tad to shift, lay off as soon as they start pulling in the clutch. when you do this, instead of relieveing the pressure on the gear, you are actually passing through this "window" and cutting the trottle for to long because you started before the clutch was disengaging. this puts pressure on the gear, and it snaps down into position with enough force and you can hear it. it you put the clutch right, you will shift so fast you will sometimes think that theres no way you pulled in the clutch far enough, and that it changed gears so fast and so smooth you will wonder if it really changed gears. but the bike is fast, it has almost a 100 horsepower. you can feel it about 900 rpm, its a kick in the ass.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Glad you're digging the bike. Your points are definitely warranted for shifting and throttle control. Did I mention I absolutely love 2nd gear? Sucks sometimes tho cause I have to jump from 2nd to 6th missing all of the fun in between.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome! I, too, am new to the FZ6 but not to motorcycles or Yamaha. You made some very good points. A lot of the things that I see people complaining about are typical sportbike or Yamaha characteristics. I have only been able to ride mine a few hundred feet and have noticed nothing different in the clutch and gear engagement from my previous two R6's. If someone is new to sportbikes, it will just take a short while to adjust to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
exactly

ive had 4 yamahas before this one, and thats just how yamahas are. maybe im just used to it, but i like this bike a lot, that jump you feel from closed to open is power, and it has a realllllllly nice powerband around 12000, that you can pop a wheelie without even using the clutch, which for a touring bike, is a not guarenteed. i htink i like most of all the way the engine isnt covered up by faring, which in my old 600r, it was. the bike is a piece of modern art.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I used to be all honda, first Yamaha. I am very happy with the FZ6 (my first street bike, used to be a pure dirtbiker). The price and styling of this bike really drew me to it. There are not many 600cc sportbikes with an upright seating position in Canada, we always get neglected. Hoping to get a windscreen and lower cowling soon

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree, it is my first street bike and I feel I made the perfect choice. You make a lot of good points about solving the "problems" by learning to control your hands. I love my bike.

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Welcome! I'm in Richmond so if you are ever down my way give me a shout. I have a buddy in woodbridge so it's possible I could be up there before long. Congrats on a great bike!

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts