Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been riding since I was about 10 years old but have been bikeless for about the last 12 years (what we let wives do to us!) . I'm 47 now and plan to purchase a bike this week. I have narrowed my choices down to the Yamaha FZ6 (I just can't get the looks of this machine out of my mind - it's gorgeous!) and the Suzuki V-Strom DL650.

I don't think I'm going to be able to resist the FZ6. Am I going to love this thing as much as I think? I keep reading about the weakness of this machine in the low to mid-range. Is this going to be that much of an issue?

It's nice to see an active community of users here, and I look forward to popping in from time to time.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'm not sure what bikes you have rode before but I dont think the lack of low end will be a problem. Just slip the clutch a little.:) Coming from a 225 this bike feels like a toque monster to me below 7k. :lol

·
Registered
944 Posts
Yea, I've been hearing this nasty rumor about the "lack of bottom end" :neener .......Honestly this bike feels a whole lot torquer then the other SS bikes ive riden, All of 3 :lol (CBR f3, older r6). Also a gsxr 600 but all i remember is hoping i wouldn't die.

You'll notice a drop in torque coming off a TLR or S, big difference from a litter I4 machine as well. But thats apples and kiwi. Try to ride one thats broke in, That will tell you better then any of us.....Of course then you'll have to buy one :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My previous ride was a Honda VT 500 C (Shadow) from the mid-80s. My gut is telling me that this is going to be quite a different experience. I excited yet won't be stupid. I'll spend adequate time getting to know this new machine.

And yes, I'll be after the BLUE one :)

I've seen tons of reviews about the SV650-S and the DL650 VStrom from Suzuki but they just don't give me the same feeling when I look at them.

I suppose I also have a bit of a bias towards Yamaha as well since I spent my youth on a 125cc dirt bike and later a 250cc beginning street bike.

·
Registered
944 Posts
It won't take long "getting to know" your fz6. Its pretty friendly. I am glad I had to mosy around for break in. Having been off a bike for a few years myself, I'd lost a bit more then i thought in skills. You'll absolutely love it. :cheers

·
Registered
354 Posts
You will love it and i have no problems down low only pretty boy blue one's up top . lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
leere, I also was torn between the FZ6 and the SV650. I was really concerned that I would not be able to do some serious romping out on the local twisties with the FZ6 like what was promised with the SV. Fortunately, I was able to test drive an 04' FZ6 that had 22,000 miles on it and I talked a friend of my riding buddy who works on bikes at Sears Point Raceway and is a modification guru. His input and advice: "The Yamaha is (mechanically) the better bike. In general, Yamaha is probably making the best bikes out there right now, even edging out Honda who has reigned supreme for eons. Buy the Yamaha." After 1 week and 400 miles, I'd have to say that was some the best advice I ever took! I can't believe how quick and easy it is to get used to this bike. I don't know what the reviewers were smoking, but this thing has been a blast to ride out on the twisties and on the straights. I am definitely happy with my purchase. I also highly recommend getting the faster blue one.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Yes. You'll love it. It has a very USEABLE power curve. It's got more than enough to get you around city streets, but hang on when you hit the highway.

·
Registered
457 Posts
leere said:
My previous ride was a Honda VT 500 C (Shadow) from the mid-80s. My gut is telling me that this is going to be quite a different experience. I excited yet won't be stupid. I'll spend adequate time getting to know this new machine.

And yes, I'll be after the BLUE one :)

I've seen tons of reviews about the SV650-S and the DL650 VStrom from Suzuki but they just don't give me the same feeling when I look at them.

I suppose I also have a bit of a bias towards Yamaha as well since I spent my youth on a 125cc dirt bike and later a 250cc beginning street bike.

First, very friendly bike. I've only been riding 6 mos when I moved over, and it just plain goes where you THINK it. Very beautiful too. People that don't even ride stop to look at it.

Second, as a reentry rider, take the MSF. Maybe not the BRC, but take an MSF course. If you can take it with your new ride, that will help you get used to everything that's unique about the Fizzy. Some people take the ERC every year just to polish technique they already know. I wish I could find an ERC.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
leere said:
Hey guys,

I don't think I'm going to be able to resist the FZ6. Am I going to love this thing as much as I think? I keep reading about the weakness of this machine in the low to mid-range. Is this going to be that much of an issue?

What low to mid-range??????? :eek:nfloor

Honestly, if you don't like shifting, go for a straight forward cruiser, or something with a b***** engine.

But why would you buy a sportsbike if you're not gonna ride it as such? This baby begs to be cranked! The power is there when you need it and it can be subtle when not spanked. Best all around ride in my book.

Oh, YOUR WIFE WILL LOVE IT, TOO!!!! Especially between 5and6K rpms... :banana

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can't recommend the FZ6 yet because I haven't taken delivery of mine -- hopefully tomorrow! But I did test ride a DL650 and honestly did NOT like it. I'm 6'2 and found the riding position too laid back, the bars too close in for my long arms. Unnatural. Also, the motor seemed wheezy with a narrow powerband esp in 1st and 2nd-- lots of shifting. Keep in mind I was coming from an old ZX1000 so I didn't find the torque particularly impressive. YMMV.

to add: all the latest I-4 600's are light, powerful and have awesome performance compared to a mid 80's bike. The acceleration will astound you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts