Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Naturally, my first time posting for mechanical advise would be because I screwed something up. Instead of Honda's recommended 10w30 I grabbed the honda 4 stroke 20w50. :rolleyes: I figure as long as I'm not running in cold temps I should be alright, but wanted to throw this out for some other opinions.

Is running this oil detrimental to my engine?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Your manual probably has a temperature chart with different grades of oil on it. As long as the prevailing temps aren't too far out of the 20/50 range, you should be OK, but 10/30 to 20/50 is a bit of a push. 20/50 is a little thick at low temps and even worse at higher temps. If there is no temp chart or you're worried about it, change it. It's not that hard and the filter is OK to leave in assuming it's new. Good idea to change it before winter in any case.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It's fine. The only diff is when it starts to cool off near the end of riding season (if there is one where you are) your bike will be a bit sluggish, hard to start, and longer to warm up. Through the summer, you're fine, assuming it's not a creepy cold summer. Oh, and on a sidenote, there is really very little diff between "honda" oils and regular ones. Excepting price, of course. If you're out of break in, just get a regular SAE oil--my personal preference is 10w40. Some people are anal about that sort of thing, but once you're out of break in, a 4-stroke oil is a 4-stroke oil--they're all the same, more or less. That's just my .02, of course.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I'll be doing about three weeks of riding in Idaho and surrounding states very soon, where I hear temps are a lot higher. I've put a couple dozen miles on it without problems here in KC.

I checked my clymer, and no temp chart was to be found. Turns out 10w40 is what I needed. I might get some regular SAE 10w40 and change it out, then. Better safe than sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts