Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So I am in the middle of my MSF course and getting my M1 endorsement and collecting my gear. I have been researching pretty extensively on about what to do for a first bike, but I still have some questions. I have unequivocally ruled out the super sport class as I have no motorcycle experience. I know they can be fun but when I'm being honest with myself I am not ready for a 636 or R6 so that leaves me with pretty much with the 300 or 650R.

From what I've read I love the fact that Kawasaki upgraded the 250 and the bike looks all around great. About 10 more HP still great torque, etc. I like the fact that it is still considered a starter bike and that they have switched from carb to fuel injection. Not completely sold on the slipper clutch yet but I've heard that it has a nice, even power band from 4-10 thousand RPM which I think will be really great for me as a beginner. Plus I'm a fan of the upright riding position as I will be using it mostly for commuting to school.

Problem is that I'm 6'3" only about 200 lbs though. I saw this video here. . . Ninja 250r - The Ultimate Beginners Motorcycle - YouTube

The guy in there is about my height and he looks a little uncomfortable on the bike, although it is a 250. I've thought about a 650 but I'm not really interested in spending the extra cash for a slight boost in HP and power that I'm not really ready to use. I would like to get really comfortable on this bike for a year or so and then move up to a 636 or possibly an R6. I'm just still slightly worried about a 300 being a little too small, not in the power department, but rather physically. Does anyone know of the size difference between the 250/300 and 650 bikes or have any advice on the subject? I'm all ears and thanks in advance.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Honda offers a CBR500R and Kawasaki also has the Ninja 500 (but it's ugly).

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I can tell you an old-style Ninja 250 has more room than any modern supersport, but that wasn't really your question I guess.

If it was me I wouldn't buy a brand-new bike. I'd buy a beat-up Ninja 250 or SV-650. Ride it for 6 month or a year, then sell it and get a supersport. New bikes depreciate like crazy. The only way to keep from getting killed on depreciation is to buy a bike that you want to keep for a long, long time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Everyone forgets the GS500 Suzuki makes. The newer ones come full faired and look much better than the older version. It is carbed though, that would be your only gripe

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
i would also suggest not to buy a new bike. the chances of damaging a bike in the first couple seasons is much higher. buy a nice used 250 or 500. save money for a future bike.

like said above a 250 or 500 has more room on it then a ss bike (meaning a 600-1000)

my friend was actually b***** then you and he rode a 250 for a couple years and liked it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i would also suggest not to buy a new bike. the chances of damaging a bike in the first couple seasons is much higher. buy a nice used 250 or 500. save money for a future bike.

like said above a 250 or 500 has more room on it then a ss bike (meaning a 600-1000)

my friend was actually b***** then you and he rode a 250 for a couple years and liked it.
True. My friend bought a GS500 as his first bike. I rode it a few times, and it fit greattt. Im 6'2" ish and around 235 for reference.

·
Registered
848 Posts
same as others have said - buy used. not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when" the bike will meet the pavement and won't be your fault (or it could be).
I'm liking the 300 also. just gotta convince my wife of the same. i sat on one and it feels light as heck and comfy. i may get one even if she don't cause it'll get great MPGs and looks good doing it. but there will be used ones out by then.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey everyone,

So I am in the middle of my MSF course and getting my M1 endorsement and collecting my gear. I have been researching pretty extensively on about what to do for a first bike, but I still have some questions. I have unequivocally ruled out the super sport class as I have no motorcycle experience. I know they can be fun but when I'm being honest with myself I am not ready for a 636 or R6 so that leaves me with pretty much with the 300 or 650R.

From what I've read I love the fact that Kawasaki upgraded the 250 and the bike looks all around great. About 10 more HP still great torque, etc. I like the fact that it is still considered a starter bike and that they have switched from carb to fuel injection. Not completely sold on the slipper clutch yet but I've heard that it has a nice, even power band from 4-10 thousand RPM which I think will be really great for me as a beginner. Plus I'm a fan of the upright riding position as I will be using it mostly for commuting to school.

Problem is that I'm 6'3" only about 200 lbs though. I saw this video here. . . Ninja 250r - The Ultimate Beginners Motorcycle - YouTube

The guy in there is about my height and he looks a little uncomfortable on the bike, although it is a 250. I've thought about a 650 but I'm not really interested in spending the extra cash for a slight boost in HP and power that I'm not really ready to use. I would like to get really comfortable on this bike for a year or so and then move up to a 636 or possibly an R6. I'm just still slightly worried about a 300 being a little too small, not in the power department, but rather physically. Does anyone know of the size difference between the 250/300 and 650 bikes or have any advice on the subject? I'm all ears and thanks in advance.
My friend is 6'4 / 190 ish and bought a brand new 250 last year. Rode it all season. He fit on it fine, though it was a bit small.

Continuing this example, as the others have mentioned, he's not sure he would buy new again, if he could go back. $$

·
Registered
228 Posts
Everyone forgets the GS500 Suzuki makes. The newer ones come full faired and look much better than the older version. It is carbed though, that would be your only gripe
^^^ This. The GS500E/F is a friggin hardcore durable, yet forgiving bike for new riders. Has all the power you need when you need to blast pass traffic, yet not twitchy so that if you accidentally blip the throttle it won't (seriously) yank you. Dropped mine 3 times when learning to ride and it STILL kept running great afterwards...friggin tank man! Just sayin

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
Hey everyone,

B***** engine size does not equal more room on the bike. 250's/300's all have far more room than supersports do.

Comparing a 250 to a 650, I think they were about the same.

·
Registered
48 Posts
~~
The site jeff mentioned above is pretty nice for an approximation of how you'll fit on a bike.

Also, the GS500 (F/E/Whatever) would also be a good option if you can find one. They're usually cheap, supposed to be pretty durable, and look to be a pretty full-size bike.
~~

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
GS500F, CBR500, 300R are all going to be good options. This coming season will be my 7th year with my GS500F. Does everything I need it to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm 6'2" and about 255 on a god day, and the Ninja 500 fits pretty well. Sure, it doesn't look like it has the most modern styling or anything, but it gets great gas mileage, it's light, it has plenty of power, parts are pretty easy to find, it's liquid cooled. Not that the gs500 being oil/air cooled really matters. The Suzuki runs pretty cool from what I hear and the motors are durable as anything, it's just personal preference on my part. The 500 Kawasaki motors are downright durable too. Sorry about the rant...

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Yeah buy used IMO. Also so you won't lose much money when you sell it. I paid almost 5300 for my SV new OTD and sold it less than a year later for $3000 :( The older Ninja 250s you may actually be able to make a little money on. I bought mine for $2400 and sold it almost 2 years later with an additional 14K miles on here for $2200. I'm 6'2'' and 220 with Long legs.

IMO you could also get a sv650 or a ninja 650. I know others disagree and that is their right. But I know more people who have started on those 2 bikes than I do the 250's and ironically they crash less. No one can figure out why LOL. And you can pick one up for around the price of the 250 on up to $4000 and the SV is very easy to work, has tons of Mods and has great reliability and is very comfortable. I could do a 600 mile day on that bike without wanting to hang myself. I did a 750 mile day on the 250 and I have never been so exhausted in my life.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I had a gs500 for a short while that i bought for resale. Was the most comfortable bike i have owned. Which included a ninja 650r, daytona 675, street triple, and sv650s. Sold it to a member on this site and i believe hasnt given him a single problem in the year+ he has had it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts