Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow sportbike enthusiasts, my name as you may have guessed is Nate. I am honestly not very savvy when it comes to motorcycles... yet. I have a lot of reading and researching this site to answer many of my questions. I finished massage school in march and began working in massage therapy in April. I'm really excited to get a bike and believe me, I truly am going to make sure I go about things the correct way. So right now I've got a 1000 approx. saved up, well 1100 say. I'm thinking I most likely won't have enough cash for a bike before then end of this year, but its possible. So I figure I should get my permit asap so I can legally be able to test ride a potential bike. I'm thinking I won't really be able to afford what I want right now due to all the other expenses involved excluding the bike itself. Insurance, gear, registering the bike at the DMV, tabs (if needed), gasoline, oil, and tools I'll need to buy for excellent maintenance. I'd like to not be completely broke, so I do think that waiting until next spring would probably work out the best for me. Unless that is I can find something I want for say 2k-2,500. That leaves me with like 1-2 months of riding though only anyways until the spring. I figure if I wait, that gives me even more time to make a more well informed decision. Anyways, enough about when, I'm mostly concerned with learning as much as possible about bikes in the mean time.
Here is a question, I honestly don't know of any other site that its possible to get a great deal on a used sport bike other then craigslist. Living in Minnesota, anyone have alternatives out there to suggest? As far as what kind of bike, I'm not dead set on anything in particular, although, I do like the looks of a naked SV650 quite a bit.
What I'm thinking is my next step to take here is to get my permit. Now all I need to do is call up the DMV to ask how I go about it. But would it make life easier if I did the MSF course before I take the written test? I'm sure I would learn more going that route, and trust me, I want to learn as much as I can.
My brother is also a member of the site, I don't know if he'd like for me to say his user name, but he now has a 1995 Triumph speed triple. One of his friends works on bikes and is a mechanic, his services may prove to be invaluable to me if I don't know how to do something.
Anyways guys, I'll cut myself off at this juncture for now, getting long... I figured I might as well introduce myself in a thread instead of being a ghost just reading peoples posts.

·
Are we not men?
9,017 Posts
First of all, patience. You may want to wait until next year to purchase, maybe in fall when prices are usually lower. I know, then you'll be sitting on the bike until spring but hey, it could be worth it. When you are ready, besides Craigslist, there is Cycle Trader.

BTW, welcome to the site. :twofinger (<- traditional SBN welcome) There are a lot of good people who will tell you what you need to hear, maybe not necessarily what you want to hear. Ask questions and be ready for honest (sometimes brutal) answers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you are saying the prices people sell their bikes at are usually lower in the fall? Well, I may need until the winter to purchase, but we'll see. By the way, I appreciate you tell me I can ask questions. I used to frequent dsmtalk.com forums, and anytime I had a question, people just said to search. Well sometimes that is all you need to do, but other times its situation specific.
I'm looking to get the best bang for buck beginners bike, that will have a low insurance premium, get great gas mileage, looks decent enough and obviously something that I will enjoy to ride. I have read the sticky on beginners bike, and for me, I chose these for consideration: Ninja 250 or 500, Suzuki GS500, SV650. I was also thinking about an older honda cbr of some kind, just because these bikes are in my price range. I can't even buy it yet, but I just want to do more research and find out what would be best. Like anyone, I'm looking to save any dollar possible. I'm sorry, this is somewhat of a pointless post, but I think about getting a bike every single day and night, so its making me want to learn more about specific bikes that may be of interest to me. BTW, I'm 5'9'' 175 lbs if that factors in at all. For my budget, its only at 1000 right now. Not enough for sure, I want something I know I can rely on, so I'm guessing from what I've looked at on craigslist so far, 3000 is about what I need approx.
I would like to have a list of certain bike models that I can focus my research on so I can figure out the potential insurance costs and basically cost to own with each to weigh the pros and cons individually. The cost of the actual bike plays a huge factor as well though. lol, I guess all I needed to say is "cheap, but good". Oh, and I'm definitely patient. I got 50+ completed jigsaw puzzles hanging up in my room to prove it. :D

·
Are we not men?
9,017 Posts
Searches can be a help but sometimes you won't find previous responses that are specific to the question you have.

Older CBRs don't make good learning tools. They really aren't that far off of what's out there today as far as steering geometry, brake power and HP. They are a bit heavier, the suspension isn't as good and carbs aren't as good as current FI. Still, they are way more than what works well for learning. Plus, most have had the sh!t run out of them and very likely will have maintenance issues. These bikes were the factory racers of their day and can very easily get you into deep doodoo way before you realize you're there.

The small Ninjas are great learning tools, as is the GS500. The 250 Ninja is a riot to ride and will teach you a lot without putting you in serious danger. And, they get great gas mileage. Insurance is cheap too. Plus, when you're done with it you can usually sell it for almost what you bought it for (maybe more!).

The SV650 is a very good bike but comes with more power. Not necessarily too much power, but they can intimidate new riders. The 650 Ninja is in the same class, only a parallel twin instead if a V.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts