Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not exactly new, i posted here a couple years back but my handle got deleted. At the time I picked up a 93 Katana 600 but it was stolen shortly thereafter.

I just picked up a 2005 Ninja 500R with 2500 miles for $4200. I know a lot of people recomend the Katana as a starter bike, but I'm amazed at the difference between the Ninja and the Katana. The Ninja is much more forgiving and I don't look quite as stupid quite as often. The speed difference is negligible, though I do miss the sound of the inline 4.

I have to say, you guys really nailed it with the advice to start on this bike. And I recomend anyone looking at the katana scrap that thought and go with the Ninja, not that my 2 cents are really worth anything as a new rider. If anything, the weight difference alone makes parking lots much more manuverable. And that seems to be the easiest place to embarrass yourself as a new rider.

The MSF course really helped too. I just spent the last hour in a parking lot practicing my clutch control with the figure 8s.

Thanks for your flames, rants, and advice.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Flames? I doubt there will be any serious flames. You chose a bike that will allow you to learn to ride well, didn't cost much, probably won't cost much to insure, and will allow to get most of the cash back when you sell. You took MSF. Do you ride naked and drunk? Not much to flame about here. Good choices, dude. Keep it up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I meant thanks for flaming those misled noobs jumping on larger bikes. Those kinds of posts really jolt you back into reality.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
hello and welcome aboard, glad you are riding again.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Congrats on a good choice and welcome back.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Congrats on the bike and welcome!! Be safe and keep perfecting those skills.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have a question about gear. I picked up a Joe Rocket Ballistic series jacket from a friend for $40, but it's just the lightweight (vinyl?) with the padded shoulders/elbows/back, etc. Would it be wiser to go with a leather jacket? I just thought this would be more practical in the hot Florida summers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts