Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was passing a car... when a little rock projected by the car at the estimated speed of 160KM/H hit my visor, above the left eye.. leaving a little crack.

Now I'm thinking of buying a new one... but since I'm going to spend money... and to help my eyes, since I have photofobia(eyes are "afraid" of bright light), due to a surgery when I was a kid.

Most of the time I use my seeing glasses instead of the sunglasses(not graduated).

I don't know which visor to pick... there are 3 visors(I like) for my helmet(Shoei XR-1000)

1 - Iridum Visor (High Definition)
2 - Black Visor (What about during night... ?)
3 - Crystal clear (Equal to the one that comes with the helmet)

Any pros/cons on any of these three?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
801 Posts
It sucks when you get a scratch or crask right in your line of sight. Anyhow,

I use a iridium for both day and night riding. It has a slight glare at night, but not noticeable. Also, has good contrast on lighted roads.

B

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I prefer a dark smoked shield but I do most of my riding in the daylight hours. I had an iridium shield on my suomy helmet and it was ok at night but the iridium shield quality was crap after two months and switched to a smoked shield.
Smoked shields suck at night time, so some people I know carry a clear shield w/them and switch them out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I use an HJC gold-colored RST shield in the daytime. I wouldn't recommend it for the night, though it can do in a pinch to get you home. I like it for the daytime though because it gives everything a yellow kind of tint, so it makes it look like it's a sunny day even when it's not (thats what I don't like about the dark smoke ones, it makes it look too dark and not sunny out), but takes all the glare away from the sun. I can ride directly into a setting sun no problem whatsoever.

Here it is:
http://www.hjchelmets.com/rst.htm

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
First of all... thanks all for your input.

MT Wallet said:
what is iridium and why is it different or better then smoked tint?
Iridium is a metal alloy, but in this case, only the alloy's colour is used.
It's a soft orange visor.

Here's the link. My Helmet is Shoei XR-1000 (RF-1000 in the US).
Take a look at Model 7 - High Definition.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My only problem with iridium / mirror shields are that they are more expensive (at least for Arai, they are) and show scratches easier than regular smoke shields.

I have a dark smoke shield and the regular clear one that came with the helmet. I wear the dark smoke during the day and bring the clear one with me if I'm going to be out after dark. The dark smoke is too dark to ride at night with and personally, I wouldn't want to ride at night with any sort of tinted shield

·
Registered
424 Posts
Can you buy that Whisper strip in the US? I would love to have one of thsoe for my RF-1000 as that's one of the few things I wish was better about the RF-1000. I notice if I push up on the piece around the edge the wind noise just about goes away completely, so that whisper strip would pretty much get rid of all the wind noise. If I can't find one in the US, could you order one for me and I'll pay you for it? I would greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Scud said:
My only problem with iridium / mirror shields are that they are more expensive (at least for Arai, they are)
My Shoei Visors are the exact same price... tinted or not.

Around 42€, or 51$.

As for the Visor, I'll buy the Black, for now. Maybe before Winter I'll get the Iridium one.

Thanks all for your input.

Camride said:
Can you buy that Whisper strip in the US? I would love to have one of thsoe for my RF-1000 as that's one of the few things I wish was better about the RF-1000. I notice if I push up on the piece around the edge the wind noise just about goes away completely, so that whisper strip would pretty much get rid of all the wind noise. If I can't find one in the US, could you order one for me and I'll pay you for it? I would greatly appreciate it!
I don't know if you can get one there. I was thinking of getting one for me also. I'll check on the price.

Sure! No problem! I'll send it to you.

Last Edit:
Whisper Strip Kit - 39€ or 48USD.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
I've become a huge fan of amber. At night it helps to keep car lights tame but at the same time overall brighter than clear. Also feels like you're going on a covert op. Problems come during daytime riding when the colors are warmer meaning an overall brighter view.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Newsflash on Shoei Portugal:

Today after exchanging an email with the commercial/services area, I mentioned the prices of their supposed major distributor in my country, they were astonished because the price their distributor charges is almost 100$(For a brand new XR-1000 / RF-1000 in the US) more then the recommended price.

Oh well... gotta love my country...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Price gouging at it's finest. It's a shame that companies do crap like that because it turns people away from getting good gear. Anyway, I'll let you know when I'm ready to order that Whisper Strip, probably in a couple of weeks. I'll pay for shipping up her and all that. I really appreciate it bro!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Camride said:

Holy Crap!
I've spent 3 weeks trying to find something like that Wisper Strip for my HJC. I hadn't found anything like it for ANY helmet. I'm wondering if I can make it work in my helmet or if I gotta drop some serious cash for a Shoei

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Camride said:
Price gouging at it's finest. It's a shame that companies do crap like that because it turns people away from getting good gear. Anyway, I'll let you know when I'm ready to order that Whisper Strip, probably in a couple of weeks. I'll pay for shipping up her and all that. I really appreciate it bro!
Good news mate!

I think I can get the Whisper Kit for around 32 Euro - 38 USD.
Just let me come back from Germany, to check the prices over there.
I'm looking for:

1 - Whisper Kit for XR-1000
1 - Black, armoured, Leather Jacket
1 - DNA or BMC Air Filter for my FZ6.

Just let me take a better look.

By the way, I bought the Dark Smoke Visor. The lid looks awsome and yes it is possible to see at night!

I'll try and post a pic later!

The Iridium visors were more expensive. Around 70 Euro or 83 USD. But the silver looked very nice....

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm actually thinking about getting one of the Iridium visors also, but I'm not sure yet. The biggest thing I'm worried about is getting scratches easily. I also want a visor that I can ride in the dark in, so that kinds makes me want the Hi Def Amber shield. I'm not sure, once I get the extra cash handy I'll make up my mind. And let me know what you find out about the whisper Strip(PM me if you need to). I bought a cheapie version that's made out of neoprene that just fots over the bottom of the helmet, it works good but slids off if it gets wet. I'd rather have the Whisper Strip as it fits into the helmet.

·
Registered
535 Posts
i ride with a light smoke on my Arai all the time. its got enough of a tint for daytime riding, but is light enough for the night...

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Is there a difference between the HJC AMBER shield and the HJC Hi-Definition Shield or are these one in the same?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jim schmidt said:
The Iridium visor is coated and fragile. In a smoked shield the color is fixed in the plastic. Go with a dark smoke shield for day and a clear one for night.
My thoughts exactly on the Iridium Visor.

I bought the Dark Smoke, as I said earlier.

Pics here

It is great during daytime(I even use my sunglassesm underneath), and it is also possible to see, when riding at night.

At roads where are no lights... yes, I have to open it, a bit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts