Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new helmet today, and as you could have guessed, it fit's a tad too snug...I can still wear it, but it's a little uncomfortable at the moment...how much do I need to wear it before the padding starts to compress a little?

My main issue is the cheek pads....damn their tight! lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
yea I just got a new kbc and it was tight as hell. my previous racer 1 was alot more loose but was not fit properly as I know now. I've had mine 2 weeks now and it broke in nicely.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Proper helmet fit is critical to it's performance. Most buy a helmet which is too big and it ends up way too big when it wears in. A new lid should be snug everywhere without any uncomfortable pressure points. It should take just a few rides for it to be spot on.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i rode again tonight and the helmet seemed a little better, hopefully with a few more rides it'll be good, it fits really nice, the only part that i dont like is that it squeezes the hell out of my cheeks.......and usually after i put it on i have to stick my hand up the side and push my ears back up cause they are bent from pushing it on my bucket

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I usually don't notice a significant break-in with any of my helmets...

But the thing with the ears folding over? Mine have always done that, and i expect they always will.

You may want to check if your cheek pads come out. Many manufacturers sell different sized cheek pads for a better fit. (if they don't break in how you'd like them to, that is)

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea the entire inside is removable so it can be washed....i could probably step up to a medium size cheek pad instead of the small, but i'd rather it be a little tight than a little loose

·
Luck Bucket
440 Posts
Around eight hours of wear time for my HJC Sy-Max. I couldn't find it, but my girlfriend took a picture of me wearing it while typing on the computer when I first got it. I was probably on this very board. :)

If you have one, wear a Cool-Max do-rag/skullcap. It kept the pressure from developing zits and blackheads on my manly skin.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so that's where that thing on the back of my neck came from.....i knew something was up....

yea i wear mine around the house every now and then too

·
Registered
29 Posts
I feel your pain with the helmet being too tight. My kbc vr2 came in the mail yesterday and i have put it on a couple of times and damn is that thing tight, i really feel it when i pull it off and my ears try to come off with it, hopefully it will get better though.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
maybe the kbc's just run a little smaller than the norm? mine is a kbc tk-8

wierd.......anyways.....as an update, ive wore the helmet for approximately 250 miles and the cheek pads arent as tight, but they still need to go a little more before its completely comfy.....i did a 100 mile the other day when i went to get some new boots for work and by the time i was done i had a headache

·
Registered
257 Posts
Take the pads out of the Helmet and place them under some heavy books for the night... You will notice the difference in the first time you wear it :)

J

·
0 Posts
I stuffed a pillow in my new helmet for 24 hrs and its seems to have compressed the liner some. I think its needs 24-36 hrs more and it will feel like well worn in jeans.
This thread is 10 years old, so I hope that helmet is broken in by now :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts