Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I moved to Miami and I hate paying for a car and driving in this traffic. So I want to get a bike but I don't want to spend too much and I don't want a 250 or 300. Thought I would join the forum now and be here for the whole process. I'm getting rid of my car this weekend and ill be riding a mountain bike until I get a real bike. I've been thinking a used 600-750 of some kind. I'm studying to be a mechanic so I don't mind turning some wrenches, in fact I will be anyways cause that's what I do. Anyways, good to be here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm 6'1 180 which isn't too big for that bike but I am used to having power and I know I'm going to want more. It's funny, everyone that likes more power says a 600 gets old fast and people who don't mind a little less power say the 300's are great. I'm pretty sure I want a GSX R 750...

·
Registered
228 Posts
I assure you a 300 will be plenty enough power for you for at least a year. The 250 is almost identical in physical size as a 750. If you already know what you want then get whatever you want. But a 300 is one of the best choices for a beginner.

/thread

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a beginner. Sorry I should have said that. I learned and rode in the Philippines and around the mountains in North Carolina for a few years. Mostly dirt bikes and cruisers but I have ridden sport bikes a few times. I think a 300 would be great for around the city but I will be doing some highway driving for fun too.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Dirtbikes count about as much as a car. A 300 will allow you to focus on technique and worry less about careful throttle manipulation. For the streets, for twisties, 300's are awesome. They will keep up with 600+ bikes all day. Go to youtube and search "250 vs big bikes at Laguna seca"

You will see a 300 is quite capable for any ride under 110mph.

Another thing to note is the 300s are around 6k new, where a supersport at around 5 years of age will be that price used. You can find a 08 250 for 2k ride it all year and sell it for 2k assuming you haven't wrecked(the odds are against you).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll definitely reconsider a 300. Thanks for the info. And as soon as I'm ready to pull the tr***** I'll update.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts