Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I just purchased my FZ today, it`s got 800 kilometers on the clock,apart from an oil & filter change is there anything else that may need attention? The chain slack is ok, the idle good and it pulls hard through the gears. I`m not getting too abusive with the throttle or revs as I am missing my owners manual for now but am letting it rev without real big numbers showing or holding constant throttle,just varying the load on the engine. All fluid levels check out fine and tyre pressure too-33/36 fr./rear..correct? This forum looks good,any other info for a new FZ owner( but not rider)? Thanks, Glenn. The 600 looks sooo good next to the RZ500.

·
Registered
193 Posts
not much else to do, check to see if all bolts are tight. As for breakin, If I remember correctly the manuel says under 700 miles keep it below 7000rpm, then until 1400miles keep it under 9000, then the sky is the limit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I started raising the revs after 800km. Around 1200-1300km I used max 10k rpm. You don't need to follow really strict limits up to 2000km. Just keep some sense in it and it will be fine. That means you don't do long full throttle accelerations. Lighter ones are perfectly ok. Just don't rev much into 10-14k range yet.

After 4500km, I still haven't measured ANY increase in chain slack. I use a SAE90 oil on it now after several disappointments with various chain waxes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, the only thing that got me was how loose the exhaust bolts had worked themselves. The manual says check 'em, and now I know why. So, invest in a torque wrench if you don't have one, and invest in the shop manual. (The exhaust bolts tighten bands...you can't feel tightness very well on them...you need the torque wrench.)

BTW, the break-in is 600 miles (1000 km) at 7000 and 1000 miles (1600 km) at 9000 in the US.

What constitutes a disappointment in a chain wax? In the US, they are shipped with a DID chain (at least, that's what mine has). I haven't had any issues with the chain waxes I've used. (Motul and Bel Ray, except that the Bel Ray is messy.)

·
Registered
130 Posts
When they did the first service on mine they tightened the throttle & clutch cables. Something to watch for is too muck slack in them because they can stretch a bit. I'd also suggest taking out some of the preload on the rear shock. You can view the owners manual online don't you know? Start here http://www.yamaha-motor.com then click on parts and service and it should have a smaller screen pop up then tell it what year, motorcycles and your model FZ6 right?
You forgot to say what color you got?

Welcome to the club Glenn!

·
Registered
51 Posts
arnoha said:
What constitutes a disappointment in a chain wax? In the US, they are shipped with a DID chain (at least, that's what mine has). I haven't had any issues with the chain waxes I've used. (Motul and Bel Ray, except that the Bel Ray is messy.)
It's primarily the mess they make. In the front sprocket casing and rear wheel, and they're so sticky the chain will suck all kinds of shit on it. The ones I tried were a biach to clean up. Yes, they probably work and keep the chain lubricated but...

So, I heard a lot of people starting to use normal thick oils and I thought to try it too. After cleaning the chain from wax and all the dirt attached to it I tried Castrol SAE90 oil and it has been perfect ever since. No chain wear, and the spots it makes on the rear wheel come off with a normal bike wash.

The chain still looks like new - shining metallic, and all the texts on it are visible. And it's lubricated too :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
I find to avoid messy chain lube - apply a little bit often and always give it time to seep into the chain. ie don't apply it and then ride off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts