Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted a motorcycle and in my freshman year of college I did a research paper on motorcycle safety and that's when I first stumbled on this site. Well now I've graduated college and can actually afford one so I'm back!

I'm looking to buy a ninja 250 since it is affordable and, from what I've read, looks like a good bike to learn on. I'll mostly be using it as a commuter but I plan on taking it out on weekends when I can. I have about a 30 min commute on the freeway (no traffic here :D) and if I can handle the "cold" mornings in the winter then riding season is all but 2 weeks of the year (it rains about 2 weeks out of the year here).

I was planning on taking the MSF training course thing before I even purchase my bike but I read on of the stickies in the newbie section and it said I should take it after my first or second season. Which is better? I have very little motorcycle riding experience.

Also, where is a good place to buy a used bike? I've mostly been looking on craigslist but is there like an autotrader.com for motorcycles?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well first of all welcome to the forum! Second it seems like you have you r head on straight with buying a 250 to start out. I started on a 250 ninja and it was the best decision I made once I upgraded to my current 675. I took the msf course after about two months of ridding by myself, but I do not suggest this I would go immediately and have them to teach you the right safe way to ride. The course is for brand new riders that have never been on a motorcycle. There were people in my class that had never been on a motorcycle before the first day the instructors take it really slow and help everyone out. I found both of my bikes and all of my cars through Craigslist. But I would suggest bringing someone that knows bikes with you to check everything out if you can

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 3 of 3 Posts