Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got a 13 FZ6R last weekend. They are having great deals on this bike right now. I wanted a smoother motor than my Ninja 650, the engine braking was something I did not like on that bike. I felt it too often city riding. The FZ6R has solved this, it hardly has any engine braking and the motor is super smooth. I paid 5575 all fees included than add ptax, license. I think that is a smoking price for a new bike.
There are so many leftover FZ6Rs, must be everyone who wants one has already gotten one, the design is like 6 years old now. But it still wins motorcycle comparisons.
Middleweight Intermediate Sportbike Shootout + Video

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
This is the color I really wanted but I was not willing to pay another 1 to 2k more since its a 2014 model and no great deals. I think the color scheme is is one of the best ever on the FZ6R.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I really enjoyed my FZ6R. I didn't do many mods to the bike. I did make the seat a little taller with some foam and a gel pad. Then re-wrapped it in marine vinyl. It didn't look the best, but it was effective (the seat, that is. I always liked how the bike looked). I also installed an HID headlight.

My farkling addiction didn't sink in until I got the VFR.

The one thing I did do on the FZ6R that I wish I hadn't done was I went with a 170/60-17 rear when I changed tires. The 170 just made the handling "strange". I never felt very confident after that tire change. The 170 did look a little meatier than the 160, obviously. But it wasn't worth the change in feel in my opinion

Attachments

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah, I agree I think smaller tires make a better handling ride. I went from 160 to 150 on my old CBR500 and it felt more nimble.
I think in 2016 there has to be a new FZ6R coming either that or Yamaha just lets it fade away like the FZ8.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I seriously considered it, but the lack of ABS took it off the list. It looks like it would make for an awesome light sport tourer.

But one thing that I thought would be an advantage to these kind of bikes, the 160 rear tire, has actually been a PITA. Tire selection is pretty poor, but availability is even worse, lots of places don't even stock 160 tires as very few bikes use them nowadays. I've had to replace the rear tire in the middle of a trip, twice, both times I ended up installing the only tire I could get, not the tire I wanted. Both times there were plenty of options for a 180 rear...

And I thought the 160 would be an advantage as they are cheaper than 180s. What really happens is that, when only one place has that size, you pay the asking price as you can't shop around.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I think in 2016 there has to be a new FZ6R coming either that or Yamaha just lets it fade away like the FZ8.
Only true for the USA, in Europe they are separate product lines. The XJ6 has been around for ages as well as the Fazers, I really don't understand why Yamaha USA has made up such a freaking mess out of the product line, everything gets to be an FZ-something in the USA. In Europe XJ, FZ and MT are three different product lines.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts