Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone new guy here from Palm springs just recently purchased a used 1998 Honda CBR 900rr. I was pretty hesitant at first but after riding it for about a month Im really happy with my purchase. The bike I bought locally from a guy not to far from where I live for 3.5k with a little over 22k miles on it. The bike it self is yellow and black and is in great condition first thing I did after I bought it was took it to a mechanic to get it looked over and have the valves adjusted and everything is tip top. I have a lot of questions so you'll be seeing my posts pretty often and my first question would be is there issues with these Hondas I should know about? and do you guys think I got the bike for a good price?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not to rain on your parade or anything, but....seems like you did it a little backwards. If I was hesitant cause of my instincts or a gut feeling, I would not have bought it. Apparently just your nerves though. You had to pay to get the valves adjusted? That must have cost some bucks if you paid someone to do it. How much? I just checked mine last year myself and they were within spec (34k on it now). I would have had the bike checked out before I bought it and made the seller take off the price of the valve adjustment. I'm thinking it shouldn't need an adjustment after 20k. Or do you mean clearance check? As far as the price, I think you did ok if it is in really good condition. I paid about the same for my 99 a couple years ago. It was in showroom condition!. I got the yellow/white that is in my picture. On a positive note....you got a solid bike! These things are awesome. You won't regret the purchase. I had one back in 96 and wanted another a few years ago. I have been contemplating purchaseing a 1000rr. Even if I do get one, I will keep my 900. You cant find many in excellent condition today.How bout posting some pics? Will u be doing your own work or paying someone? If you sync the carbs yourself, make sure u give me a shout first! Send me a PM or something. The manuals for some reason are wrong on the way our carbs are set up. You and I have the same exact bike. Just a different year. Remember that if you need help with something, or wish you had the same bike around to see where something goes, etc. There are no issues to worry about. Now, go out and ride!

Hello everyone new guy here from Palm springs just recently purchased a used 1998 Honda CBR 900rr. I was pretty hesitant at first but after riding it for about a month Im really happy with my purchase. The bike I bought locally from a guy not to far from where I live for 3.5k with a little over 22k miles on it. The bike it self is yellow and black and is in great condition first thing I did after I bought it was took it to a mechanic to get it looked over and have the valves adjusted and everything is tip top. I have a lot of questions so you'll be seeing my posts pretty often and my first question would be is there issues with these Hondas I should know about? and do you guys think I got the bike for a good price?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to rain on your parade or anything, but....seems like you did it a little backwards. If I was hesitant cause of my instincts or a gut feeling, I would not have bought it. Apparently just your nerves though. You had to pay to get the valves adjusted? That must have cost some bucks if you paid someone to do it. How much? I just checked mine last year myself and they were within spec (34k on it now). I would have had the bike checked out before I bought it and made the seller take off the price of the valve adjustment. I'm thinking it shouldn't need an adjustment after 20k. Or do you mean clearance check? As far as the price, I think you did ok if it is in really good condition. I paid about the same for my 99 a couple years ago. It was in showroom condition!. I got the yellow/white that is in my picture. On a positive note....you got a solid bike! These things are awesome. You won't regret the purchase. I had one back in 96 and wanted another a few years ago. I have been contemplating purchaseing a 1000rr. Even if I do get one, I will keep my 900. You cant find many in excellent condition today.How bout posting some pics? Will u be doing your own work or paying someone? If you sync the carbs yourself, make sure u give me a shout first! Send me a PM or something. The manuals for some reason are wrong on the way our carbs are set up. You and I have the same exact bike. Just a different year. Remember that if you need help with something, or wish you had the same bike around to see where something goes, etc. There are no issues to worry about. Now, go out and ride!
Sup CC rider I payed 300 bucks to get the valves adjusted I had heard you needed to get it done every 30k but seeing as to how I didn't know much about the history of the bike it wouldn't harm anything to get it done early. The seller originally wanted 4k for the bike but after some negotiation I got him down to that price. I got the service done here at a local shop not to far from where I live called Orange Uranium they have a website and a facebook if you wanna check them out. What's the difference between a clearance check and a valve adjustment? I don't know much about bikes sorry if its a newb question. Oh ya definitely no regrets for being 14 years old its a beautiful looking bike and it runs great lots of power I have yet to redline it. I too originally was looking at buying a '08-'12 Honda CBR 1000RR but unfortunately my credit score and my down payment was no where near strong enough :eek: . Sadly I live in an apartment and do not have access to a garage or own my own tools so all future maintenance will be done by the above mentioned shop. I will be posting pictures up shortly within the next couple of days. Anyways thanks for the reply I've had bad luck with previous used vehicles so its good to know I finally found a good one!

·
Registered
52 Posts
On our bike, they should be checked at 16k. It's possible that they needed adjustment. It's just usually not the case that soon. $300 seems about average from what I have heard and seen on forums. I do as much work as I can myself though. Not to go into detail, but....when u check the clearance, you insert feeler gauges between the cam and lifter and record the measurement. If it's not within specs, you need to adjust. That is a little more involved. U need to change shims to get back within spec. Most jobs can be done with basic tools which u should have. If u don't, get them however u can! They will pay for themselves 1000x over. Get the service manual and read/study it whenever u have time. U will learn a lot even if u still can't do the job. It is like a bible! Shout if u need anything! Download the service manual for the bike here:
Stephy G's CBR F4i Page

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks a mill cc rider downloading the manual now...do you have a list of tools I would most likely need to work on most of the bike you could post I don't wanna have to buy a whole set that's gonna come with sockets and wrenches im never gonna need.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
R u messing w/me dude? Did u get the tools that come with the bike? I think those cover a good amount of the bike. What can you do as far as mechanical work? If you didn't get the kit that comes with the bike, this will be the kind of tools u will need:
Honda Motorcycle Parts 1999 CBR900RR A TOOLS Diagram
No I'm not messing with you bro the bike didn't come with any tools or even the owners manual its had one other owner besides the guy I bought it from. I have plenty of wrenching experience but never on bikes my previous vehicle was a 1990 Nissan 240sx and I did a lot of the engine work my self...but that was also when I lived with my dad and used his tools and his garage. I no longer have that luxury though my dad moved and is no longer within a reasonable distance for me to use his tools or garage.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You'll be ok now that you have the manual. Just get a basic set of tools. This forum will help u out with the rest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts