Sport Bikes banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering who has broken their new bike the "traditional" way ie: manufacturer's recommendations :biggrinag vs who has broken in their bike the "other" way. Basically I'm looking for a good reason to open the throttle sooner on my 100 mile bike.
Thanks
Bill

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. The motoman break-in is why I decided to ask. I read his link for break-ins a year ago so I couldn't remember some of the details like- should be done with 20 or less miles. The fluctuating rpms also makes sense and is also suggested as part of a proper automobile break-in (which is where i have some experience...).

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Canadiankwak1 said:
The whole debate on whether to break in the engine easy or hard, is redicolous...
Basically, engines now-a-days come from the factory with a certain amount of break-in already.
Just follow the manufacturer's recommendation. Whether the air is a few degrees cooler or hotter on a given day or whether you had a burger for lunch will make more of a difference in your bike's performance, than the way you break it in...
I'm not looking to extract .00765 more hp from a traditional/ or hard break-in. And I don't think asking people what method they took is rediculous I just want to know what others have done and their reasoning.
Your right, most engines in general come from factory with a certain amount of break in. In fact compression rings (with a proper cyl. finish) should be mostly seated by the time your engine reaches operating temp the first time...

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Canadiankwak1 said:
I understand you were doing a survey...I am not calling your question redicolous...I'm just fed up with the debate in general.

Its common sense I think...taking it easy on a new engine (or any new mechanical device) makes sense. You can't beat the sh*T off of it right from the get go and expect longevity. That, to me, is just good ol' fashion common sense.
I wasn't looking to "stir the pot." Thanks for ALL of the input.
Later
Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.