Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought the 520 kit from Vortex, came with a RK chain. I had the bike at my buddies shop so i could cut the old chain off (original, no master). Got the sprockets switched out, ran the chain through, and what do ya know, its too long! I mean, what were they thinking sending me a chain that is too long :rolleyes I dont know why I wasn't expecting that, so I ran outta time before I had to go to work.

Okay, im dumb, :banana so I will cut the five extra lengths out that I dont need, big deal. The other problem I ran into was the clip that snaps to lock the master link. I think i didn't have the master "fitted" tight enough on the chain, because when I slid the clip on, it didn't slide onto the grooves nicely, and bent the clip apart a little. I tried to press the clip back together, and it snapped :rolleyes

I dont know if it was just weak, or if I goofed it up sliding it into the master, either way I have to redo it tomorrow when i cut the extra links out. Front/Rear sprocket and chain only ran me $150 shipped, so I know I cant expect top-of-the-line stuff. I will probably replace/upgrade earlier then necassary, but it is better than the original crap after 17k miles(i think orig, is that possible, this bike was not taken care of, wrecked twice, sat forever).

Can i get the master link clips at any auto/hardware store, or does it have to be at a motorcycle shop?

Sorry it got long, blah blah blah blah,

·
Registered
19 Posts
i bought one of the same said 520 conversion kits off ebay.. and ran into the same problem with the master link.. after trying to get it on all the way for at least a half hour.. i finally decided that the holes in the outside part of the masterlink were to small to properly fit over the other part of the link.. all i did was enlarge the holes very slightly (by very slightly i mean u couldnt see the change in size)... but it allowed the link to fit together properly and then the retaining clip slid on perfectly...im not sure about buying another clip.. u may be able to get one at a bike shop... not sure..

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so after fiddling with the damn master link for an hour, i figured out how to fit the clip in properly. The holes on the master plate were not large enough to slide all the way down onto the link. Like you did, I had to drill out the holes for them to fit properly.

But that wasn't all that was wrong, the "rods" of the master link were not pressed fully on the the master link plate, so the clip still wouldn't fit. A slight tap with a hammer got them into the right position, and everything went on without a hitch.

What I am wondering is how this master link went out in that condition? I doubt I got the "one bad master link", but I can only guess that most of these are like that. I know I bought about the cheapest stuff possible, but it still amazes me that this stuff didn't just slide together like it should. Oh well.......

·
Registered
177 Posts
i think i'd go buy a new link. these sound a little scary. when the chain snaps, so do alot of other things, like possibly your engine cases and maybe youe a$$. spend the $5 on a new one and have some peace of mind.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts