Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Eurofag
1,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I like it, but make your own mind up ...

Brough Superior

...not exactly a mainstream bike, probably be bought by a few rich collectors who won't ride it ..

...Its a good read though, and a lovely looking bike, and its history is impeccable ..

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
I love Brough Superiors. My all time favorite bikes. This one is just not for me. Although, it's far better than every other 'new' Brough I've seen trotted out over the recent years. The angle of the V is just too wide for me to accept in a Brough.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
i hope that double A-arm front suspention works well.

i have been a fan of double a-arm front suspension on bikes for a while.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Ugh...

Another "retro" bike and basically an insult to the story of the brand. Brough Superior were all about being superior, the best bikes money could buy, but, this? It's like if MV Agusta had been reborn with a retro bike inspired on the last bikes built in the time of Count Agusta instead of the F4.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
I'm not feeling it. Mainly because it's ugly. The originals are beautiful bikes, with tons of fascinating details you can pore over forever. A friend of mine has two SS100s, and they're just fabulous. I haven't, of course, gotten to ride *on* one, but I've ridden alongside or behind them, and they are even more spectacular on the move (as long as you never have to stop fast; the brakes suck).

Now the write-up on this new one is long on style and short on real innovation. They've got their own engine, but it's a watercooled 4V 1000cc V-twin, of 100-140 hp. Which makes it basically an underpowered Ducati clone. George Brough didn't waste his time designing an engine when he could buy really good ones; he spent his effort building a spectacular bike around them.

Likewise the stressed engine/minimal frame design -- makes it an ugly naked Panigale with 50 less hp. The only technically neato thing I see there is the 4-disk front brakes.

I'm generally supportive of just about any effort to make an interesting new bike, but I'm not feeling this one.

PhilB

Reactions: jk750

·
Registered
61 Posts
wow i like it, wont be giving up my r1 for one though lol
Some very nice touches like the beringer brakes and front fork system etc and 140hp on a naked bike will get the knuckles white in no time

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
Didn't Major Peter Lawrence die on one of those?
If you're talking about Lawrence of Arabia, that was T.E. Lawrence, and yes he died on a Brough Superior. He quite liked them, and owned 6 or 7. His death didn't really have anything to do with the bike itself, other than it was a fast bike and he was riding it fast. He encountered a small boy on a bicycle in the roadway, and crashed and died while avoiding running the kid over.

PhilB

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm not feeling it. Mainly because it's ugly. The originals are beautiful bikes, with tons of fascinating details you can pore over forever. A friend of mine has two SS100s, and they're just fabulous. I haven't, of course, gotten to ride *on* one, but I've ridden alongside or behind them, and they are even more spectacular on the move (as long as you never have to stop fast; the brakes suck).

PhilB
A "friend" who has two but lets you ride none is no friend at all.:badmood :)

As for this one,it does sort of look like it was done by a machinist with cabin fever.Interesting,but not for me.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yes, nothing screams "quality" like a table of contents typo... These types of bikes seem like a dime a dozen these days. Some old brand digs up some old parts from the early 1900s, frankensteins it together with mediocre parts, calls it "retro", then justifies their insane pricing with gratuitous use of the word "quality."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts