Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have my eyes on:

VTR1000 (mpg and range is god awful (100 miles? WTF??!!??) but seem rock solid aside from that)
SV1000 (hydraulic clutch issues?)
FZ1 (no idea except I've heard you need a power commander to get it to run right...?)
Bandit 1200 (I know some of them had oil consumption issues but from what I've heard, if the oil is religiously topped off, it's not a big deal .The other thing I don't know is the air cooling. Will they over heat riding through the city in the stop and go traffic?)
Speed triple (I don't know a lot about these. Are there certain years to avoid? T509 T595 or 955i?)
VFR800 (preferably 5th gen with the gear driven cams but 6th gen will work. Bullet proof aside from some easily corrected electrical issues)
Z750S (no idea at all)
I'm not going to rule out the YZF600R, ZZR600, or F4/F4i yet, but I'd like something that had good mid-range power. I also don't mean to offend anyone here, but it seems like, generally speaking, they aren't as well cared after as some of the other bike I've listed. These just seem like cheap supersports.

Does anyone have experience with any of the bikes above that can give me some input? Any other recommendations? A member on another forum graciously offered to let me try his FZ1 so I'll probably take him up on that just to get a bench mark.

I'm really looking at the bandit. It looks like the easiest to maintain. Not that I don't want to do maintenance, but when I get free time from school, I just want to ride! It has gobs of torque, valves don't require shims to adjust, they're dirt cheap. Cheap to buy, cheap to insure, cheap parts, etc. The only worrisome part is the air cooling. The stoplights in this city are terrible so I don't want to cook it if I get stuck in city traffic. I know they have a budget suspension but I'm 130 lbs so it's probably stiff enough. I don't go hauling ass through twisties much. Just like to have fun and cruise.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
1st or 2nd Gen FZ1? The 2nd Gen ones only had fueling issues the first couple years of production, and there was a new map the dealer can load to fix it. I had a stock 09 and it ran great for 20000 miles with just oil changes until it was totaled.

The 1st Gen was carbed so if it's running bad it just needs carb work.

I did have to change the bars on mine to make it more comfortable for me, but after that it made a great distance bike, and it performed great.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
04 Z750.
5th gen VFR.

We've been over this. :D

The other ones are, typically, just a cheap sportbike. that's it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sorry. I meant to follow up with some actual content.

Looks like you're looking at some big displacement bikes. I've had my f3 for almost a year and I was thinking of moving up...until last weekend. My buddy as an 04 busa with a bunch of work done to it. He said he was set in slow-mode, but he and I were goofing off and from 50 to 120 we were neck and neck.

So, really my f3 is plent fast for what I need. I also weigh damn near double what you weigh. So a 1000 under you is going to be ridiculous lol.

You may want to look into some sort of motard, SV650 or a ninja 650. Hose are cheap and easy to live with. And check out fuelly.com for some real-world fuel stats.

(I'm on my phone, so forgive me if this post isn't of the best quality)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like I said, the bike I'm most interested in is the Bandit. The others are just there. I don't even know if I could afford them right now. Bandit and YZF I definitely could.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
One of the only guys I ride with loves his fz1. Seems reliable as shit, buku power, centerstand is handy. Definitely a 'gentleman's sportbike'

·
Registered
109 Posts
F4i's are damn near bulletproof, even when poorly maintained. If well maintained... um...

Jared is closing on 300k now with his F4i.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
... I'm really looking at the bandit. ... The only worrisome part is the air cooling. The stoplights in this city are terrible so I don't want to cook it if I get stuck in city traffic. ...
Looks to me like the Bandit is a good choice for you. I wouldn't worry much about the aircooling, that's a really solid durable engine. It's physically a big bike, so make sure you're comfortable with its height and weight, but other than that, they're great usable versatile bikes.

PhilB

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
3500 gets you a 5th gen with a top case. . .

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are a shit ton more bikes at home than there are here. I'll be bikeless for a while but thats ok.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I don't have $6k. I have like $3.5. Anyone know anything about CB919/900 Hornets?2003 Honda 919 CB900F AKA Hornet
Yes do yourself a favour and don't bother proof that modern manufactures are still very capable of making a turd. It's contemporary 600 Hornet in comparison is a good thing.

On Honda's from that era in general almost all had various charging issues mainly around the regulator, to the point I would not look at buying a second hand one without a multimeter in hand.

Bandits are good bike the front suspension springs are a little cheap and nasty although this can be fixed relatively cheaply. Yes their spec sheet numbers won't match a modern sport bike but for 90% of people 90% of the time it will do everything you ask of it.

The motor was actually the choice of drag racers as a starting point before the Busa and the likes came along, very strong motor and lots of knowledge around it as well.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
With the Superhawk and SV on your list, you might want to try out a bike with a vtwin engine or just examine your riding style. After owning a twin, there is no way I could go back to an inline 4. I tried doing just that, and sold it the same season I bought it.

For the way I ride, everything about a vtwin (or single) engine suits me perfectly, namely the bottom end torque and sound.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts