Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well fellas/ladies, I got my new ride. Being on four wheels for the week I was bikeless was devastating. I couldn't get any work done, sleepless nights, and overall, it sucked.

That all changed today. I met up with a gentleman that was selling his 2000 RC51. All it took was a twist of the key and a push of a button and I was sold. The crank spun and soon enough, the combustion cycle was in full motion and the tone coming from the carbon fiber Microns were unbelievably sweet. Music to my ears. The ground shuddered and the RC51 welcomed me with warmth ( a V-twin thing ).

After the exhange, it was time to head home. 130 miles to get acquainted with the new ride. Man, that gearbox is slick! Every gear change was silky smooth. I was expecting a thunk when I slipped it into first, but all was well. I stalled on my first stop sign though. The big twin needs a little coaxing from the clutch to get her rolling.

As compared with the FZ6, some of the differences are as follows:
-ergonomics of course. The FZ6 is like a Laz-e-boy while the RC is like a rocking chair. It'll take some getting used to, but I'm willing to make the sacrifice.
-the RC's front end is way lighter than the FZ, so the draft can move the bike around a bit when following a semi truck
-buffeting- I experienced none. I guess the FZ needs to work on that. I was wondering why I paid so much for a Shoei and the RC reassured me that I made the right purchase.
-acceleration-while cruising in 6th gear. I dropped it down three gears and let her rip. The RC is in no hurry. It knows it has a lot of power and it doesn't need to flaunt it. The FZ, it has something to prove when encouraged to quicken the pace. The FZ is the bullet here.
-handling/suspension- it's still a new bike to me so I didn't do anything to risk finding out the RC didn't want its reigns pulled in an unworthy manner. But the ride is nice. Firm and settled.
-mileage- approximately 35mpg with a range of about 125 miles until empty on a full tank.

One thing I did notice was when I hit the brakes, I felt some jitter. You guessed it right, the neck/head nut was loose to the point of hand tightening. I'm going to check each bolt, nut, screw, and washer tomorrow and change out the fluids. The vibrations of a twin loosens things up. Other than that, I am very satisfied.

I do miss the FZ, but I'll get over it.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For sure. I'll clean her up,take some glamour shots, and will post it up.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
welcome to the darkside muhahaah(1000cc v-twin). If i may make a suggestion, blue locktite EVERYTHING!!!!

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fengler. Yeah man, I'll have to do that the next time I crack open the fairings. It was a [email protected]#h getting it clean in 95 degree weather, but I got her done. I changed the oil + filter and gave her a nice coat of carnauba. Here she is...

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sweet choice, man and welcome to the V-twin world. There's a RC51 owner who visits someone on my block (his parents presumably) and you can hear and feel when he arrives. It sounds really good - deep and rich, not like an obnoxiously loud Harley.

Anyway, hope you love your new ride!

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Patpuma. I'm digging the new ride. It's definitely an earth shaker. I'll have to squeeze the clutch in when I'm passing by a cemetary from now on. I might wake them up.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks man. I just saw Star Wars a few hours ago and Yoda reminded me of Kimball. My cat's so ugly!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts